Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2018, 03:54 AM   #29

Mag tow lights I bought at Walmart several years ago have very strong magnets. Made in China, under $30 and still working well.
Oldchief1544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2018, 04:48 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudsoner View Post
I just bought a tow dolly that has it's own lights. Doing some research, I found that this is not enough in many states, because my vehicle will be at least four feet behind the lights, and thus requires it's own lights.
The easiest way to achieve this would be a set of the magnetic lights on the back of the vehicle.
I searched Amazon and found that I can get lights for a price between $20 and $300. reading through the ratings, I found that many lights, regardless of their price, have a magnetic base that seems not to be strong enough, and tend to be blown of the toad.
Do you guys have any experience with magnetic tow lights and can recommend some that stay on the vehicle and not get blow to the ground once the setup is moving?

Any advise and information is really welcome!

Airetop.bought a pair of magnet lights from e.trailer for $120.00 work great. Strong magnet verry bright take aaa battery’s and work for about 30 hrs on a set of 8 in each one. Glade I bought the pair instead of a longer bar because my 2017 Ford Edge with the full moon roof had a parcel plasket roof soi have to put the lights very close to the middle next to the cars atena .the transmitter plugs into The 4flat or 7 round on mh
airetop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 06:36 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamaniac View Post
With all the plastic and fiberglass on today's vehicles magnets can be a challenge. I just added tow lights on a fiberglass dune buggy. I welded tabs to the rear tube bumper and ran wiring through the tunnel. Sometimes you just have to go with what will work.
You are correct. I have a nice sized flat spoiler over the ear window of the SUV that would yjust be ideal to put tow lights on. But there is no piece of steel close enough to put any lights on. Even the hatch hinges are buried under several inches of plastic material. This is another problem for me with magnetic tow lights, where to put the things! I can't just weld something onto the plastic!
Old 02-08-2018, 06:49 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by airetop View Post
Airetop.bought a pair of magnet lights from e.trailer for $120.00 work great. Strong magnet verry bright take aaa battery’s and work for about 30 hrs on a set of 8 in each one. Glade I bought the pair instead of a longer bar because my 2017 Ford Edge with the full moon roof had a parcel plasket roof soi have to put the lights very close to the middle next to the cars atena .the transmitter plugs into The 4flat or 7 round on mh
The only ones I can see there are like the standard lights, with a magnetic base and a pretty high lens section. When I read revies for any of the lights with such a design, I find that at least a third of the reviewers seem to loose one or both lights when driving!

Any lights that have a flat housing are so ridicules expensive that it is way cheaper to build a better one at home. There is no reason that LED lights cost much more than conventional lights, because the components for them are dirt cheap. They just try to scam the customers, because they use a newer technology!
Old 02-08-2018, 06:52 AM   #33

Quote:
The only ones I can see there are like the standard lights, with a magnetic base and a pretty high lens section. When I read revies for any of the lights with such a design, I find that at least a third of the reviewers seem to loose one or both lights when driving!

The ones from e trailer has a twenty pound magnet you would have to hit a branch two knock them off.
airetop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 04:05 PM   #34

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
I like the trailer hitch idea, one just would have to rig something up, wide enough to reach both sides of the vehicle. I need to think about that one for a while!
One could install standard trailer lights in such a bar!

I have a SUV and trunk mounted bike rack don't work that well.
Here are a few pics of my setup. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0162.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	541.9 KB
ID:	191722

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0163.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	399.4 KB
ID:	191723

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0165.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	525.9 KB
ID:	191724 Sorry about the sideways pics don't know how to fix this. I probably have less than 100.00 in all and I can haul a cooler or wood or whatever if needed.
riverat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 07:56 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverat View Post
Here are a few pics of my setup. Attachment 191722

Attachment 191723

Attachment 191724 Sorry about the sideways pics don't know how to fix this. I probably have less than 100.00 in all and I can haul a cooler or wood or whatever if needed.
Thanks! That looks really cool!

I have to investigate that idea a little more! Because a carrier would not hurt at all!
Old 02-09-2018, 08:27 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I see that Harbor Freight has them for $49.99, and I have a 20% off coupon ready!
How did you fasten the white lights onto it? I might want to put standard taillights into these spots. But how did you do it, aren't those type of lights snap into place?
What is I would attach standard tow lights into the basket corners? I could screw some metal plates down in the basket, and set the magnets onto them. Additionally, I could use cable ties to secure them really well.

But your version with the inserted lights looks more finished! How did you do this?
Old 02-09-2018, 08:36 PM   #37

Tiffin Owners Club
The lights are actually red led tail lights that I picked up at a cheap tool store, they came with the mounting bracket and rubber housing and do snap into place, so I just screwed them to the rail and ran the wires. I have a short pigtail on the rack so I can use it on my jeep in the summer and have the 25' extension that reaches the mh for when I tow. I think the lights were about 20.00 or so it made a pretty neat installation and they are fairly bright. Good luck.
riverat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 09:15 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverat View Post
The lights are actually red led tail lights that I picked up at a cheap tool store, they came with the mounting bracket and rubber housing and do snap into place, so I just screwed them to the rail and ran the wires. I have a short pigtail on the rack so I can use it on my jeep in the summer and have the 25' extension that reaches the mh for when I tow. I think the lights were about 20.00 or so it made a pretty neat installation and they are fairly bright. Good luck.
Yes, your setup looks pretty slick. I have to go on an internet hunt now to find those lights!

Tags
light, lights, tow