Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2020, 10:44 AM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Major screwup!

I was trying to run down a problem with my turn signals. The MH had an old trailer connection on the back for towing a utility trailer, and it was badly corroded. I decided to cut it out of the circuit since it wasn't needed anymore.

The wires for the 7-pin RV connector were spliced in with the old connector wires. I cut the wires to the old connector.

There is an encapsulated module wired in also, and I very foolishly cut the wires to it, thinking it had something to do with the old connector! I realized after doing it that I should have checked the operation of the toad lights before removing that module! I wired the module back up, from memory, and now no lights on the toad work!

The module is about 2"x3"x1/2". It has red, yellow, and green wires out one end, and green and yellow wires out the other end. Does anyone have any idea what this module could be for?

I'm desperate as we have a trip planned for next weekend!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2020, 10:53 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Maybe a Tail Light Combiner?

https://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Hopk...kaAqcEEALw_wcB

( Scroll down this page a bit to see example.)

Only needed if the MH has yellow turn signal lights and the towed vehicle does not.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 11:09 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
The adapter below looks exactly like the one I have! Only thing is, the MH AND the toad have separate amber turn signals, so if I'm reading this right then the converter wouldn't be required. The toad was wired using diodes.

https://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Tow-Ready/118158.html
Old 01-17-2020, 11:19 AM   #4

...interesting--without a combiner box, I know a combined stop/turn signal towed wont work with an RV having separate amber lights....not sure what happens if you try to use a combiner box with an amber turn signal towed and an amber signal RV??????
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 11:24 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
The adapter below looks exactly like the one I have! Only thing is, the MH AND the toad have separate amber turn signals, so if I'm reading this right then the converter wouldn't be required. The toad was wired using diodes.

https://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Tow-Ready/118158.html
Correct, no converter required. You'll need to utilize the 7 wire connector that has a separate stop lamp circuit. (Lt, Rt, stop, tail, ground, and 12v for breakaway/batt charge)
Or....depending on your toad add a 1157 style dual element socket to you toad tail lights. In that case use the coach converter.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 11:26 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine36 View Post
Correct, no converter required. You'll need to utilize the 7 wire connector with a separate stop lamp circuit. (Lt, Rt, stop, tail, ground, and 12v for breakaway/batt charge)
Yup, I have the 7-wire connector. Guess that adapter module was there for the old trailer hookup that I disconnected. Now if I can figure out how to remove this adapter and get everything hooked up straight!
Old 01-17-2020, 11:38 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Yup, I have the 7-wire connector. Guess that adapter module was there for the old trailer hookup that I disconnected. Now if I can figure out how to remove this adapter and get everything hooked up straight!
Sometimes it's easier just to start over by cutting out all the old splices you more than likely have. It may behouve you to keep the combiner module and add a flat4 harness also. (I did, sometimes we take the boat or utility trailer and dirt bikes ilo toad)
Just a thought, your already there, minimal cost.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 11:51 AM   #8

Joe-

A 4-pin and a 7-pin share these signals:

Ground
Left turn/stop
Right turn/stop
Parking lights

I would guess that the "combiner box" is needed for both connectors, and was wired that way. This is in spite of the fact that the coach and toad have separate turn signals.

So, you need to break out the voltmeter and check for signals on the 7-pin connector and any wires that are just floating around. Then, put it back together.

Send me a PM with your phone number and I'll give you a call to help.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 02:00 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Remember, the attitude of the 7 pin tow vehicle plug is a mirror image of the attitude of the Towed vehicle plug as you are looking at the ends of each plug....

Somehow this always confuses me for several attempts.

I do it wrong and get no lights because the ground pin is not connected at the 7 pin plug.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 03:43 PM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
UPDATE- Well, the converter module wasn't the problem after all. I removed it from the circuit and connected the wires straight through. Using a voltmeter to check the connections at the 6-pin side of the coil cord that connects between the MH and toad, I discovered that the ground pin was not getting connection part of the time.

I found that the connector is a Curt #58080. Nobody here had one in stock, but I had AutoZone order one that came in the next day! It was only $3.99 where most other suppliers, including Amazon, was right at $7. I cut the cord back about 3" behind the old connector and installed the new one.

Everything seems to be fine now. I guess that converter module was for the old trailer hookup that I disconnected.
Old 01-30-2020, 08:19 PM   #11

Nice!!! Fixed in time to go.
Old 02-19-2020, 02:34 PM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Final (I hope) update!

I replaced the 6-pin connector on the coil cord but that didn't solve the problem. I could wiggle that end and the lights would go on and off! Then I replaced the 6-pin connector on the car and that problem was solved!

After doing this, everything worked except I didn't have any brake lights!

I finally realized that I do need the converter that I had removed and thrown away! I ordered the Curt 58240 converter, installed it, and FINALLY everything is working!

Old 02-20-2020, 04:34 AM   #13

Glad to see everything finally worked out.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 05:11 AM   #14
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Just to point out to those doing research many times you need the converter because a lot shops wire the light harness to only use the red tail lights even if the toad has both red and amber lights. Almost all the wiring kits I have seen only include the 4 wires that a standard 4 pin connector would use.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scr