Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2017, 05:48 PM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelden View Post
I am also going to modify the installation of the flat tow wiring kit for my 2016 Jeep Trailhawk. What is the max current which the blocking diode has to handle (presumably this would be similar to the current draw of the EPS which needs to be provided by the charge line)? Also, where is the best place to get one of these blocking diodes?

Many thanks for the help in simplifying Chrysler's rather poor solution.
The 10a fuse which comes with the kit is likely rated more than the EPS's max current draw. It tells us that EPS draw is less then 10a, maybe a lot less. However assuming 10a max current in determining wire sizes and ratings of other components in the system is not a bad thing even if it turns out to be somewhat of an overkill.

The rating of a blocking diode in the charge line should be at or more than the capacity as determined by wiring and fuse/circuit breaker. I have used 10a charge lines in the past few toads just to protect against low batteries due to brakebuddy and phantom loads. I do not activate the EPS using relays triggered by the charge line so hopefully one who does so will comment on the current capacity of their charge line.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2017, 05:42 AM   #30

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelden View Post
I am also going to modify the installation of the flat tow wiring kit for my 2016 Jeep Trailhawk. What is the max current which the blocking diode has to handle (presumably this would be similar to the current draw of the EPS which needs to be provided by the charge line)? Also, where is the best place to get one of these blocking diodes?

Many thanks for the help in simplifying Chrysler's rather poor solution.
You pick the diode by the wattage rating. A normal silcon diode has around .7v drop.
Get a 10W diode. That would only be 7 watts at 10 amps...and you would not be near that.

Just get a Solar Blocking diode (cheap on e-bay) 50V 10A and call it a day.

Regards,

Dan
Old 05-02-2017, 07:42 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
You pick the diode by the wattage rating. A normal silcon diode has around .7v drop.
Get a 10W diode. That would only be 7 watts at 10 amps...and you would not be near that.

Regards,

Dan
Thanks Dan & Rick. As long as the toad is fully charged before hookup, the charging line from motorhome should not tend to exceed the EPS draw. The only other draw is the auxiliary braking system which is relatively small.
Pelden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 10:04 AM   #32

Just had wiring harness installed along with Blue Ox tow system and RVI-3 break. Submitted the harness cost and install receipt to Jeep and was informed yesterday check was cut for total of $355. Be persistent with Jeep and they should cover the cost.
Jeff24g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 10:06 AM   #33

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff24g View Post
Just had wiring harness installed along with Blue Ox tow system and RVI-3 break. Submitted the harness cost and install receipt to Jeep and was informed yesterday check was cut for total of $355. Be persistent with Jeep and they should cover the cost.
What year is your Cherokee?
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 10:07 AM   #34

It is 2016.
Jeff24g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 12:51 PM   #35

Dan, I had the tow harness installed by my dealer. The switch is not an issue for me. I do want to move the EPS circuit from the toad battery to my charge line to eliminate the need to install and remove the fuse all the time.

So that I am clear, I want to place the blocking diode between the toad battery and where I connect the EPS circuit to the charge line? In line with the charge line?

Thanks for your awesome, detailed solution.

MW
Afirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 06:43 PM   #36

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afirefighter View Post
Dan, I had the tow harness installed by my dealer. The switch is not an issue for me. I do want to move the EPS circuit from the toad battery to my charge line to eliminate the need to install and remove the fuse all the time.

So that I am clear, I want to place the blocking diode between the toad battery and where I connect the EPS circuit to the charge line? In line with the charge line?

Thanks for your awesome, detailed solution.

MW
Yes, if you don't, then you will actually be connecting the EPS circuit relay coil directly to the battery...so it will be on all the time (not correct). The EPS line with the fuse should go on the RV side of the blocking diode.

Dan
Old 09-15-2017, 06:31 PM   #37

Bought. a new 2017 Cherokee Trailhawk on Monday. Found out about the wobble issue and Bulletin on Wednesday. Not happy!

Ordered the part for overnight shipping and had the kit installed by Golling Jeep in Bloomfield Hills, MI today.

Spoke to the General Manager and he agreed to cover the cost under warranty.

Happier.

Now, to try to figure out the Auto relay and diode install mentioned here, as that makes sense to me rather than the manual fuse and switch mess.

Thanks for this info!
Old Baldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 01:02 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

Regards,

Dan
Hi Dan, I'm just joining the discussion. Your mod is very elegant. I love it, and will incorporate it my 2015 Cherokee once the harness kit arrives. One question for you re: the 'power on' indicator light that you have installed on the console. Is there a way to wire it such that it would indicate that the power was not only being supplied to the relay, but also indicates that the relay has actually closed?
BGTay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 04:22 PM   #39

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGTay View Post
Hi Dan, I'm just joining the discussion. Your mod is very elegant. I love it, and will incorporate it my 2015 Cherokee once the harness kit arrives. One question for you re: the 'power on' indicator light that you have installed on the console. Is there a way to wire it such that it would indicate that the power was not only being supplied to the relay, but also indicates that the relay has actually closed?
Just joining the conversation but I think you don't need a light to see if the relay is working. Just move the steering wheel to see if power steering in on. Was referred to this thread today. Why do you need a fuse to be installed/removed all the time?
Just to clarify: What is the purpose of removing the fuse? What is the purpose of the on/off switch?
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 07:12 AM   #40

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flywithcoop View Post
Just joining the conversation but I think you don't need a light to see if the relay is working. Just move the steering wheel to see if power steering in on. Was referred to this thread today. Why do you need a fuse to be installed/removed all the time?
Just to clarify: What is the purpose of removing the fuse? What is the purpose of the on/off switch?
You are correct, the LED is not required.
I installed it because I prefer to just glance in the window of the jeep whenever I want to know if the system is engaged. Additionally, the light should be off at all other times during normal driving. A shorted dioed will engage the system all the time.

Regarding the fuse, you should always install a fuse on any line that is directly connected to the battery. Jeep did a Micky Mouse thing by making use remove the fuse to disengage the system rather than put a power switch under the hood.

The inside switch disconnects the CAN bus from the power steering module.
If it did not do this, you would see a error indicator when you energized the PS while the vehicle was off.

Take my word for this, it works great....I just connect the jeep and go...no extra things to remember....other than checking cables and the hitch pin

Regards,

Dan
Old 03-17-2018, 01:42 PM   #41

Quote:
There is a rubber gromet in the firewall where a clutch rod would go.
I ran my air lie for the AF1 braking system through this...and also ran the wire through the same gromet.

It is pretty tight on the engine side, but doable.

Regards,

Dan
Hi Dan my name is Brian i just picked up my new Jeep Cherokee and after some research I found out about the flat tow wiring harness that should be installed. not too happy about it but i guess you can't put a price on fun lol.Did you install that harness your self and if so did you have some instructions on it that you wouldn't mind sharing.
Big Berth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 03:32 PM   #42

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Berth View Post
Hi Dan my name is Brian i just picked up my new Jeep Cherokee and after some research I found out about the flat tow wiring harness that should be installed. not too happy about it but i guess you can't put a price on fun lol.Did you install that harness your self and if so did you have some instructions on it that you wouldn't mind sharing.
HI Brian,

First, go to the Jeep owners forum, and send a message to "Jeep Cares", you might be able to get them to pay for all or part of the harness.
They may say "no", because the newer user manuals actually infom you that you need the harness to tow.

Start at the beginning of this thread, I post info on how I made it automatic.
When you buy the harness, it comes with very good instruction on how to install it. It is waise to allso install a charge line so your vheicle battery does not get discharged if you tow more than one day without driving the Jeep.

Regards,

Dan

Tags
tow