Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2018, 03:27 PM   #57

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumps View Post
Jim:

Same experience for me: 2015 with no wobble history and then a high speed event (60mph) that scared the living daylights out of us. Then we got the notice from FCA about the harness mod.

Three differences in our experience:
1. We did not have very many miles on the 2015 Cherokee (TrailHawk) at the time (25,500 if my records are correct).
2. The wobble did not go away after we had the harness installed by Jeep.
3. It is my opinion that the violence of the "high speed event" damaged the structure of the Jeep chassis such that it cannot be towed safely 4-wheels down any more, regardless of harness mod.

To Jeep's shame, we now ride the Jeep on a trailer that we pull behind the MH. To no surprise, we have not had any wobble events ever since we started towing the Jeep on a trailer!

\ken
I agree with @BobGed here. The test to see if the harness does activate the EPS will tell us all a lot. There've been other KL owners who reported wobble after harness installation and this test revealed there was a flaw in harness or install.

However, since you had one of the rarer High-speed wobble events, there may be damage to front end or even other components. It may be well worthwhile to have you KL thoroughly checked out by an independent alignment shop... and that should be on Jeep's dime.

Safe travels.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2018, 06:34 PM   #58

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Being a 2018 Trailhawk owner I follow this thread religiously. It appears the most problems have been occurring with 2015 models. I had to wait for my flat tow harness because Jeep was performing a modification to the harness. I suspect that owners with a Cherokee older then 2018 may need a new modified harness. My harness came with a relay installed which basically controls the power to the EPS system. Some people have said they have no relay. Is this the 2018 change to the Harness? Just towed my 2018 cross country with NO problems. Fingers crossed.
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 07:52 AM   #59

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I purchased a tow cable for my 2014 when it was new. It also has the relay. The relay is taped inside the cable some people may not know it actually exists.

Dan
Old 06-29-2018, 02:52 PM   #60

Winnebago Owners Club
Yep, relay is there in my '15
Old 06-29-2018, 03:32 PM   #61

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thought I would throw out my experience again as this is again being discussed. My 2014 Cherokee Limited has the harness installed and was still experiencing the wobble. Dealer went through everything again and verified install but eps was not powering at when set to tow. Finally determined the main power connection at the battery terminal was insufficient and would not provide enough draw. Have replaced connectors and problem went away. No wobble since.
opbart1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 06:59 PM   #62

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
...However, since you had one of the rarer High-speed wobble events, there may be damage to front end or even other components. It may be well worthwhile to have you KL thoroughly checked out by an independent alignment shop...
1. Yes, the harness appears to be working fine.

2. Yes, there is wobble damage to the Jeep. Underneath it is on both left and right sides. On top, the hood and quarter panels no longer align. I have had a couple of people look at the frame pieces and they say it can prolly be fixed, but they aren't willing to do it for fear of liability down-the-road.

Jeep's expert looked at it and concluded that the damage was because I had hooked up the tow bar incorrectly. I was not allowed to talk to him person-to-person or demonstrate how a tow bar attaches the MH to the Jeep. I guess he may think that I inadvertently installed the tow bar upside down that day?

\ken
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4581 (2).jpg
Views:	61
Size:	224.7 KB
ID:	209107   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4589 (2).jpg
Views:	62
Size:	237.3 KB
ID:	209108  

Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 03:53 AM   #63

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumps View Post
1. Yes, the harness appears to be working fine.

2. Yes, there is wobble damage to the Jeep. Underneath it is on both left and right sides. On top, the hood and quarter panels no longer align. I have had a couple of people look at the frame pieces and they say it can prolly be fixed, but they aren't willing to do it for fear of liability down-the-road.

Jeep's expert looked at it and concluded that the damage was because I had hooked up the tow bar incorrectly. I was not allowed to talk to him person-to-person or demonstrate how a tow bar attaches the MH to the Jeep. I guess he may think that I inadvertently installed the tow bar upside down that day?

\ken
Those pictures clearly show damage; there are clearly broken welds. Not sure what component that is in the pictures, but I'd be reluctant to drive it like that. Just because one 'Jeep expert' put the blame on you is not reason to give up.
Old 07-01-2018, 05:05 AM   #64

The damage to the aluminum frame members may not be wobble induced. I had the same type of damage to my Trailhawk due to a badly designed Blue Ox baseplate and I know of several others with the same baseplate (BX1136 version 0) that also had the same damage. Blue Ox revised their design which prevents this damage but to my knowledge never recalled the ones that remained in the field. In my case, I had the aluminum beams rewelded and also the lower radiator support cross beam rewelded that had developed cracks. My story is provided in the link below:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/2015-...te-359284.html
Bikinjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 08:15 AM   #65

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikinjim View Post
The damage to the aluminum frame members may not be wobble induced. I had the same type of damage to my Trailhawk due to a badly designed Blue Ox baseplate and I know of several others with the same baseplate (BX1136 version 0) that also had the same damage. Blue Ox revised their design which prevents this damage but to my knowledge never recalled the ones that remained in the field. In my case, I had the aluminum beams rewelded and also the lower radiator support cross beam rewelded that had developed cracks. My story is provided in the link below:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/2015-...te-359284.html
Each time I go thru equipping a new toad I read thru the install instructions of all 3 baseplate mfgrs and every spec I can... When I did this for the Cherokee, there was something, I do not recall what, which caused me to chose another.
Old 07-02-2018, 01:00 PM   #66

To the skeptics about the 2019 Cherokee actually fixing the problem without needing the flat tow harness: there is now plenty of confirming evidence. There is both a FCA announcement and service advisory. Both the updated 2019 online Owners Manual and Users Guide have tables that delete the tow harness and need to charge the battery while towing. And Jeep Cares responded to my inquiry confirming it is a real change. (Alas, so far they haven’t been able to describe the design change. I have reason to believe it must be mechanical (e.g. damper) vs. software as some have opined.)

That said, my clueless dealer installed it on my 2019 Trailhawk as part of my purchase deal. I haven’t got to try it yet as Demco still hasn’t offered baseplate.

My question to the knowledgable here: do you think it will be OK to just never put in the fuse and flip the switch, or should I insist they remove it?
LarryinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 01:59 PM   #67

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryinID View Post
To the skeptics about the 2019 Cherokee actually fixing the problem without needing the flat tow harness: there is now plenty of confirming evidence. There is both a FCA announcement and service advisory. Both the updated 2019 online Owners Manual and Users Guide have tables that delete the tow harness and need to charge the battery while towing. And Jeep Cares responded to my inquiry confirming it is a real change. (Alas, so far they haven’t been able to describe the design change. I have reason to believe it must be mechanical (e.g. damper) vs. software as some have opined.)

That said, my clueless dealer installed it on my 2019 Trailhawk as part of my purchase deal. I haven’t got to try it yet as Demco still hasn’t offered baseplate.

My question to the knowledgable here: do you think it will be OK to just never put in the fuse and flip the switch, or should I insist they remove it?
Larry, Based on the detail of how the "flat-tow-harness" is designed and works which was initially posted back in '15 or '16 by Array, I'd say it'd be OK to leave it in... provided no errors were made when the dealer installed it that is.

The fuse just applies power to a relay which energizes the EPS; you could even remove the relay (keep it as a spare). The in-console switch disconnects the EPS from the CAN bus so leaving it in the "normal" down position should not have an effect, just don't flip it up to the "tow" position. [This part is a "bear" to remove from the system since there are a lot of (breakable) plastic pieces.]

Yep. I was certainly one of the skeptics... after all in 2018 it wasn't until mid model year that the TSB adding the model year to the "f-t-h" list, with lots of sales made since the prior summer. Same for the 2017 MY.

The TSB to which you refer, excludes the 2019 Cherokee from the same "flat-tow-harness" list; conspicuous by it's absence is any statement about solving the wobble issue for the '19 KL. That wording being used is quite similar to that used a year or so ago after it had been incorrectly announced that the 'flat-tow-harness" and FCA announced the TSB did not apply to 2016-2017 "wobbling" Grand Cherokee.

So when all the evidence is in, I will gladly retract my skepticism. Meanwhile owners of 2016+ GCs continue to await a solution ... and I heard something about the new Wrangler.

So good luck and safe travels; while I remain a skeptic I also hope I am wrong, for the sake of y'all with '19's.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:29 AM   #68

I'm getting ready to install the automatic version of the flat tow harness in my 2014 Cherokee. I'm also going to have to install a brake light relay so my supplemental braking system won't override the signal coming from the motorhome. Plus, I'll need to charge the Cherokee's battery from the 12V Charge Line. I haven't seen anyone depict the integration of all three things in a diagram so I took a shot starting with Dan's now famous block diagram.

The way it is currently depicted I'd run separate 12V leads thru the firewall - one for the brake relay and one for the relay that replaces the switch. Is that unnecessary duplication or could I run one wire to feed both?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cherokee Wiring for Towing.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	223090  
DamonDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 08:23 AM   #69

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Controlling Brake and turn signals

For the toad brake/turn/tail lights, it is better to install two relays (one behind each brake light assembly) so that the turn signals will flash while you are stopped.

You can run the same 12V wire which comes from the 10A fuse to the back of the toad to control the coils for both relays.
Basically the rear relays will select which input is used for the bake light LED (high brightness).

Also run the Left & Right Turn signal wires from your trailer connector to the back of the car.
Unplug the tail light assembly and identify the wire that is the Brake/Turn wire.
Cut this wire, and insert the relay such that the "Normally Closed" contacts restore this connection. "Com" goes to LED, N.C. goes to the jeep side of the cut wire. When the relays are not energized, the car works normally.

Connect the Motorhome turn signals to the N.O.. Now when the 12v line from the RV is hot, the flat tow harness is energized, and the relays for the brake lights have switched so the RV controls the Jeep Brake/Turn lights.

The running lights are connected as normal to the "Tail Light" wire at the rear.

Hope this makes sense....if you like I can generate a schematic for you.

Dan
Old 10-20-2018, 04:51 PM   #70

Dan,

I was planning on using the Hopkins wiring kit (HM56208) to make the tail light wiring simple. No cutting involved. It contains a diode but not the relay you described. That will allow the MH to activate the brake/turn lights on the Cherokee. In order to keep things simple would the Roadmaster Brake Lite Relay be the best option just to keep the supplemental brake system (probably an RVIBrake3) from activating the brake lights?

Dave
DamonDude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow