Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2019, 07:07 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
You really only need to do this if you are "Anal" like me. Everything should work fine if you don't.
This mod is cutting the resistor etch on the new CAN block that comes in the kit. Then connect a single 120 ohm resistor on the unused 2 pins on the relay. This way the EPS (Yellow & Brn) wires are always terminated.
Maybe I should have noted that I did not buy or use the wiring harness. I just bought my own relays and wired it up myself. It works fine, but now I realize there's no resister at all, since I don't have the extra CAN block installed. Do you still think I will be OK? I can certainly be anal, too
jfgilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2019, 08:07 AM   #86

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpasetto View Post
Dan, What are you now using for a Toad? I ask only because I may be facing a decision on it soon too.

You probably know this but newer GC's also have a wobble issue; It's thought to be related to the lack of hydraulic damping in the new EPS; started with the MY after they changed over around 2016. There are a few threads here about it.
Well.....we did get a Grand Cherokee. I had heard a few stories about the GC wobble. I did confirm in the manual that it is flat towable. Dumb assumption, but I thought the engineers would have changed the manual if there was the same problem. Just crossing my fingers for now.

Dan
Old 01-03-2019, 08:14 AM   #87

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
Well.....we did get a Grand Cherokee. I had heard a few stories about the GC wobble. I did confirm in the manual that it is flat towable. Dumb assumption, but I thought the engineers would have changed the manual if there was the same problem. Just crossing my fingers for now.

Dan

Dan,
I was actually thinking along the same lines until I saw this on IRV2.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/jeep-...le-339594.html

After reading the thread I put the brakes on looking at a GC for the next toad. There's also another thread on it here and probably elsewhere as well. If I recall correctly the circumstances are different and the occurrences fewer. That might be due to the fewer GC's out there as toads.
Old 01-08-2019, 01:54 PM   #88

Does anyone here know how long it takes to install the death wobble on a Cherokee
I just bought a 2014 Cherokee trail hawk and want to have a dealer install.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:06 AM   #89

Got my answer. Thanks all
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:12 AM   #90

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Dan,
I was actually thinking along the same lines until I saw this on IRV2.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/jeep-...le-339594.html

After reading the thread I put the brakes on looking at a GC for the next toad. There's also another thread on it here and probably elsewhere as well. If I recall correctly the circumstances are different and the occurrences fewer. That might be due to the fewer GC's out there as toads.
I have my fingers crossed that the 2019 GC will be OK.
On another thread, someone posted a STAR document that said the 2019 Cherokee "No longer Needed the Flat tow Harness".
I truly hope the engineers made the same change to the Grand Cherokee.
Customer support still quotes the 2019 manyual and says it can be Flat towed.

Dan
Old 01-09-2019, 01:31 PM   #91

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwit View Post
Does anyone here know how long it takes to install the death wobble on a Cherokee
I just bought a 2014 Cherokee trail hawk and want to have a dealer install.
I saw your post that you got your answer. I just wanted to point out that if your 2014 Cherokee has a electric hydraulic power steering fluid system you do not need to install a death wobble wiring harness. The problem started in 2015 when Jeep went to a ALL electric power steering system with No hydraulic pumping system required. My 2014 Grand Cherokee has a electric hydraulic pump and does not need a death wobble harness installed. I have towed it for over 40,000 miles with no problems. I also have a 2018 Trailhawk that does need the death wobble harness due to it has no hydraulic pumping system for the power steering.
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 01:48 PM   #92

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a 2014 Jeep Cherokee and experienced the violent shaking twice prior to having the harness installed. I did not make any other changes to my towing equipment, and have not experienced the shaking since.

My installation was done at the direction of FCA's JeepCares and was free of charge.

I have followed this subject for years and have never heard of any Cherokee KL, other then the 2019 model, as being exempt from the harness requirement.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 09:38 AM   #93

Lessons Learned?

For those who have installed the Mopar Flat Tow Kit themselves, how about some tips or tricks. I have a 2014 Limited and this week I started the installation with the modifications to make it automatic. I got the wiring, relay and an LED installed in the console then moved under the hood. This part involves taking apart the Power Distribution Center. After releasing the screws and clips I could only raise it about an inch. How to disconnect the white blocks underneath? There is almost no slack in the wiring harnesses. Since it was late in the day I buttoned everything back up and called it a day. Can anyone shed some light on how this part of the install went for them?

Dave
DamonDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 03:17 PM   #94

If you are talking about lifting out the tray, I also ran into problems with that. Turned out when you think you have the screws loose they are really not. Just keep turning the screws until the tray will lift right out. No prying was needed once the screws were completely free on my 2015 Trailhawk.
Bikinjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 12:58 PM   #95

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Want indicator light when in tow mode

I want to install a light on the dash when I am in Tow mode for the EPS. I cut the wire ahead of the fuse and installed a aircraft safety switch 12 volt 20 amp so I just throw a switch on the dash when in tow mode instead of replacing a fuse under the hood. The fuse stays in all of the time and the switch the switch connects the power to the EPS when in tow mode. I want a indicator LED on the dash when in tow mode. could I hook the LED to the switch pos and and ground to it would light when the switch is on? any thoughts or help appreciated. I have the tow harness installed and it is working fine.
Mel
Old 04-08-2019, 05:02 AM   #96

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhbell View Post
I want to install a light on the dash when I am in Tow mode for the EPS. I cut the wire ahead of the fuse and installed a aircraft safety switch 12 volt 20 amp so I just throw a switch on the dash when in tow mode instead of replacing a fuse under the hood. The fuse stays in all of the time and the switch the switch connects the power to the EPS when in tow mode. I want a indicator LED on the dash when in tow mode. could I hook the LED to the switch pos and and ground to it would light when the switch is on? any thoughts or help appreciated. I have the tow harness installed and it is working fine.
Mel
If I understand correctly here, you put a switch in series with the fuse as many have done. An LED between ground and the switch terminal which goes 'hot' when the switch is on should work fine. Make sure you observe LED polarity.
Old 04-08-2019, 08:58 AM   #97

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
If I understand correctly here, you put a switch in series with the fuse as many have done. An LED between ground and the switch terminal which goes 'hot' when the switch is on should work fine. Make sure you observe LED polarity.
That is what I did. Thanks for confirming that the led will work. hooked up that way.
Mel
Old 05-10-2019, 12:06 PM   #98

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Question on EPS Behavior after Flat Tow fix

I have had the Flat Tow fix installed for 2 years, but have gotten tired of pulling the fuse in and out; particularly when just stopping for the night.
So, I moved the Jeep installed fuse wire from the battery and hooked it to the charge line from the RV, and added a super bright LED behind the egg crate grill in hopes I could see from the rear cam in the RV to make sure the EPS is on. We had the death wobble once and I don't care to ever have it again.
I noticed when testing that the EPS did energize when I applied 12V, from a battery pack, to the charge line(RV is not home). However, I also noticed that the EPS stayed energized, even after removing the 12V from the charge line. Thinking I had possibly messed something up, I backed everything out and returned it to the way Jeep had installed it.
Putting the fuse in does energize the EPS as expected; however even after removing the fuse the EPS stays energized until the ignition is turned on then off; then the EPS goes off.
Now I don't know if this is normal behavior or I messed something up. I never noticed, in the past, if the EPS stayed on after I removed the fuse. I have been throwing the console switch at the appropriate times.
I would appreciate it if anyone could check and see if their EPS stays on after fuse removal.
It is a 2016 75th Anniversary Edition Cherokee
Thanks
Tom10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow