Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2019, 12:16 PM   #15

Mojim, U-Haul won't sell their new dollies with the turning plate on them. This dolly is ancient, probably from the 80's or before. I spoke with U-Haul before I bought it 9 years ago. Has a plate welded on it "Not U-Haul Property". The "Not" was added when it was sold and is stamp in larger letters.
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2019, 06:54 AM   #16

I bought the 80" Master Tow dolly with surge brakes Wednesday.
I was surprised to see in the paperwork there is a tire warranty from LionsHead with a one year No Excuses Guarantee and a 5 year manufacturers defect warranty. The tires are Chinese Castle Rock brand.
Anyone ever hear of LionsHead or Castle Rock?

I think the new dolly is going to make our travels much more enjoyable by not having to be on the hunt for tires.
Old 10-15-2019, 10:17 AM   #17

We returned to Az. in early September with the wife's Tracker on the new Master Tow dolly.
I am happy to report the tires show almost no wear. The dolly gave us no issues on the trip. I do like the wider stance of this dolly as it can be seen in the mirrors if the coach is turned slightly. Also like the amber led lights on the front of the dolly fenders. Just nice to know power is still getting to the lights.

Not sure I like the bearing lube system as it did spew grease on the outside of the wheels and tires. Was easy to clean up with paint thinner so we will see if it does this on the next trip also. Could be just 'cuz it was new and the grease was full enough to expand out from the end boots like it is supposed to.
Old 09-03-2021, 07:49 AM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
I know this post is 2 years old but its the closest I find to my problem. Purchased a Master Tow 80HD from a private seller. He used it once. Dolly was basically brand new. I am just finishing a trip that was/is 3200 miles. Both of the tires are (feathering) (rivering) not sure what you call it - on both inside and outside edges. The tires were balance prior to my departure. The bearings do not have any play. Is it a dolly issue or tire issue? The tires are the original carlisle tires.
JohnArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 07:57 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnArch View Post
I know this post is 2 years old but its the closest I find to my problem. Purchased a Master Tow 80HD from a private seller. He used it once. Dolly was basically brand new. I am just finishing a trip that was/is 3200 miles. Both of the tires are (feathering) (rivering) not sure what you call it - on both inside and outside edges. The tires were balance prior to my departure. The bearings do not have any play. Is it a dolly issue or tire issue? The tires are the original carlisle tires.

It sounds more like they were underinflated, always run the max pressure on the sidewalls. Or maybe it's overloaded or out of alignment.
No Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 09:57 AM   #20
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Agreed with checking tire pressures.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 10:49 PM   #21

I have about 12 thousand miles on the Master Tow dolly now and discovered a couple of things.
Make sure the toad is centered on the swivel plate before securing it down. Make sure you check the straps on the tires every time you stop and snug them up if needed. Also read the manual on the tow dolly brake adjustment as the procedure is unlike any other I have read.
I also found on my dolly with surge brakes the bolts that determine how much force it takes to move the unit on the tongue have to be checked as the metal wears in where it slides. When the bolts get loose the brake apply to readily. If the brake shoes are out of adjustment the dolly will pull to one side. I have watched this happen in by back up camera going down the road.
I unlock the steering wheel on the toad and use a rubber bungy wrapped around the wheel and hooked into the driver's seat mounting brackets. This keeps the toad from turning except in tight turns.
My tires are showing very little wear at 12,000 miles.

I found the bearing lube system on the axles is not very good. There is a hole thru the length of the shaft with another hole drilled in the side of the shaft where the inner bearing sets against the shoulder where the seal rides. On mine the hole is partially blocked by the bearing and a lot of force is required on the grease gun handle to get it to grease. Since the seal is very close to this hole the seal will be pushed out of the hub before the bearing is greased. Makes a mess. I put Bearing Buddies on my dolly. I am going to service the dolly soon and will pull the drums off to make sure no grease has leaked onto the brake shoes.
I found that the spec for the air pressure is too high. IIRC it is #50. We tow a 1998 Chevy Tracker that weighs about 2,500 pounds so this may be why I needed to lower it. The very center a little wear on the tires with the edges of the tread not toughing the road.
Old 09-04-2021, 12:21 PM   #22

Entegra Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
I do check my pressure all the time. I keep it at 50 psi. I tow a Cadillac SRX. It is within the suggested weight limit. If this is an alignment issue how do you get an alignment on a tow dolly?
JohnArch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly, tow, tow dolly