Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2021, 12:07 PM   #1

Mastertow Dolly

Hello

I bought a Master Tow dolly in July of last year. It has worked great so far. Couple of things i have questions about as there is conflicting info on the internet and from my dealer.

First the straps are marked R and L . I was told by the dealer that you should stand facing the front of the vehicle and the R strap goes on the left side as my right hand is on that side. Same goes for the left one. It goes on the right side of the vehicle. Videos on line say the opposite. R strap goes on the right side or passenger side of vehicle and so.
Which is correct?

The other question i have is the steering wheel. I have a 2018 Chev Cruze and the steering wheel does not lock. Dealer said that was fine , that it would not affect it. Online it says to tie off the steering wheel. Not sure what i should be doing here?

Any help would be appreciated. Mastertow does not seem to answer there emails as I have tried several times

Thank you
Davlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2021, 05:36 PM   #2

I have used my tow dolly now a year and a half. IMHO the best thing I did was to purchase a set of basket straps off Amazon. Makes hooking up easier. As far as locking the steering wheel we did do that on our Ford Escape. IMHO it is not necessary. The straps will hold the front wheels down. Just make sure to retighten your straps after running a few miles. They will loosen some.
Prof_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 05:56 PM   #3

In 99.9% of a applications related to a vehicle, the L & R side are referred to as is you were sitting in the seat, facing forward... not facing the car.

I am not sure about the affects that a non-locking steering wheel will have, but the deck plate is designed to turn so the wheels don't have too.
m_adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 07:05 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Welcome!

I too have a master tow dolly. I would suggest getting a set of aftermarket straps that will not stretch when wet (as the factory originals do). If you don't secure the steering wheel, the front end will turn, and you don't want the front end turning along with the turn plate on the dolly. I'm sure some others will have another view point.
Old 03-01-2021, 08:16 PM   #5

Right side is right side, sitting in the car, always.

Been towing with unlocked steering for 5 years, three different cars, no problem.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 08:53 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
I have a Mastertow dolly and I like the way it tracks and handles.
I added a breakdown boat trailer lock to my tongue and eliminated the lock pin because it was such a PIA to put in and remove.
I also added a flip up/down tongue wheel/jack to make moving it around easier.

My biggest problem is the STRAPS!! I didn't like the stock single over the wheel strap so I ordered basket straps. I tow a 1998 Toyota Corolla with 14" tires. With the basket straps, the front strap that goes into the ratchet is too long and I run out of strap before the tires are pulled down tight. I have tried 2 different sets of basket straps and have the same problem with both.

Am I the only one who has run into this???
1Motorhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 10:23 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have this dolly with a 2016 Cruze. Have towed with and without locking the wheel. The set-up seems to prefer unlocked, so, the last several thousand miles I have left it free.
gvjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 10:04 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Right side is right side, sitting in the car, always.

Been towing with unlocked steering for 5 years, three different cars, no problem.
Twinboat is correct on strap markings to which side.
As long as you don't turn too sharp and let the fender of the dolly hit the car you'll be fine not locking/strapping down the steering. I actually wish our Equinox steering didn't lock. I tried to turn pretty sharp after refueling once and the car got in a bind on the dolly. Tires actually tried to move/spin on dolly. If steering didn't lock, the car tires would turn some on the dolly and that's where the fender can hit car door.
Basically I turned too sharp for the turn table on the dolly. It only pivots so far on mine.
meebarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 07:34 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

When all else fails, READ THE DIRECTIONS!

The Mastertow Dolly manual says:

Quote:
Straps that are side specific are marked on the strap with either an L or R.The marking is in black magic marker on the webbing just above the steel flat hook. L is Left side (or Driver side) and R is Right side (or Passenger side).

If you need one, download from
https://www.mastertow.com/image/Manual.pdf
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 10:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvjackson View Post
I have this dolly with a 2016 Cruze. Have towed with and without locking the wheel. The set-up seems to prefer unlocked, so, the last several thousand miles I have left it free.
Thanks for the reply. One question I have as you tow a Cruze. Do you put the front ring on the front of the tire or is there not enough clearance and you put it on the side of the rubber .

Thanks again
Old 03-02-2021, 10:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvjackson View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Motorhome View Post
I have a Mastertow dolly and I like the way it tracks and handles.
I added a breakdown boat trailer lock to my tongue and eliminated the lock pin because it was such a PIA to put in and remove.
I also added a flip up/down tongue wheel/jack to make moving it around easier.

My biggest problem is the STRAPS!! I didn't like the stock single over the wheel strap so I ordered basket straps. I tow a 1998 Toyota Corolla with 14" tires. With the basket straps, the front strap that goes into the ratchet is too long and I run out of strap before the tires are pulled down tight. I have tried 2 different sets of basket straps and have the same problem with both.

Am I the only one who has run into this???
Mine came with straps that has one that goes over the top centre of the tire . The breakdown boat trailer lock, is that to replace the where the pin is inserted underneath the front of the vehicle? If it is , great idea
Old 03-03-2021, 10:45 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
When all else fails, READ THE DIRECTIONS!

The Mastertow Dolly manual says:

If you need one, download from
https://www.mastertow.com/image/Manual.pdf
Thanks . I was following the dealers instructions and i read the manual later on (a month or so) and that made me start to look.
Old 03-03-2021, 11:57 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davlor View Post
Thanks for the reply. One question I have as you tow a Cruze. Do you put the front ring on the front of the tire or is there not enough clearance and you put it on the side of the rubber .

Thanks again
Clearance is close, but I definitely keep it centered on the tread of the tire. To help, keep the strap loose so that you can slide it towards you to adjust, then slide it back to the center. Once you have the "cradle loop" where you need it, that's good until time to account for a bit of stretch. That is, take off/on the straps without letting the band slip thru the ring. But, this also means getting the placement of the car on the dolly fairly consistent. It'll come quickly with practice, and become a quick operation, even in the rain. OH, yes, keep the ring fairly high, lest you run out of room to keep it tight as you travel.
gvjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 09:13 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davlor View Post
Mine came with straps that has one that goes over the top centre of the tire . The breakdown boat trailer lock, is that to replace the where the pin is inserted underneath the front of the vehicle? If it is , great idea
I can use the pin for additional security, or not. The pin is such a PIA to install and remove, most of the time I don't even use it.

The mounting of the trailer lock is on the main frame tube coming from the hitch ball where the main frame and tilt frame come together.

I didn't come up with this idea myself, I saw it on a Youtube video from The Motorhome Experiment. called How to Load tow dolly. Check it out.
1Motorhome is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly, tow, tow dolly