Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2012, 09:16 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubix cube View Post
I've been trying to get thru to Remco this AM without much luck. We are buying a 2012 Mini clubman S - 6 speed for a toad, and while I've read all sorts of people have had earlier years, when making a 32k investment, I want to be certain.

Have you had any luck?
You can tow the manual flat no problem.
I have a 2011 Clubman S auto and tow via a dolly.
MINIS ROCK!
Windy City is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2012, 01:08 PM   #16

Thanks, Windy City. I guess I'm just being too skeptical that such a fun vehicle to drive is now mine, and it can be towed too. Why do you use a dolly?
Rubix cube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 05:50 PM   #17

Mine is an automatic, thus the dolly. It is also my everyday driver with tow duty few and far between.
I wouldn't want to modify it with flat tow equipment.
I have several other things I am planning on putting on the tow dolly.

I have many vehicles but the Mini is the favorite driver!

So much so we are planning on ordering second, a Countryman this time.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:48 AM   #18

Forest River Owners Club
Anyone have Roadmaster tow brackets on their Mini??? The ones that are "invisible" when you're not towing....

Just had them installed on mine and I HATE them - they are not invisible.... About 3 - 3.5 inches still stick out when now rigged for towing.... Called Roadmaster and they are "checking into it with their R & D department which means I'm about to get screwed...

Check out pics I've attached.... If yours don't look like this please attach pics so I can see....

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1039230031.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	484.4 KB
ID:	19963

Name:	image-2616178678.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	428.2 KB
ID:	19964

Name:	image-3089025956.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	443.5 KB
ID:	19965

Name:	image-643970768.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	680.8 KB
ID:	19966
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:40 PM   #19

I'm still in the market for the mounting bracket. I won't have my Clubman for another 6 weeks at the earliest. It does seem like it sticks out there a ways. Is this the Roadmaster 521879-1? It is hard to tell from the Figure B on this diagram, how far it sticks out. http://www.roadmasterinc.com/pdfinst/521879-1.pdf. It looks like the main receiver brace should be protruding thru a grill, but it doesn't on yours.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:49 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
We looked at the tow bar system for Mini from Blue Ox & Roadmaster and neither of therm were invisible. For that matter none of the systems are invisible on ANY car. But the system on your Mini seems a bit much. For that reason and the fact we will be towing a Jeep we elected to go the tow dolly route.
rg neumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:12 AM   #21

I have an 2011 Clubman S auto that is my DD. It will see double duty at a toad on weekends. I ordered a Landgrebe dolly to pull it as I didn't want and mods or weight added to the car.
I don't think you can tow the auto flat anyway without the risk of destroying the trans.
I have other vehicles I may opt to pull too.(Mazda Miata manual) This way the dolly can tote any vehicle at any time.
If I had a car that was going to be a dedicated toad, I would definitely tow it flat for the ease and lack of having to deal with extra equipment. But then I would order the car in a configuration to best allow flat towing.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:17 AM   #22

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rg neumann View Post
We looked at the tow bar system for Mini from Blue Ox & Roadmaster and neither of therm were invisible. For that matter none of the systems are invisible on ANY car. But the system on your Mini seems a bit much. For that reason and the fact we will be towing a Jeep we elected to go the tow dolly route.
If you're planning on towing a FWD Compass or Patriot then you'll be ok with a dolly. Any other model has to be towed 4 down or on a trailer.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:32 AM   #23

National RV Owners Club
Rubix Cube
This is the baseplate I use on my 2006 Cooper. I believe they sell the same device for new models. When installed it can be noticed but the black blends in well with the black grill. The aluminum colored twist connectors are easy to remove when not in use.
Base Plates by Blue Ox for 2006 Cooper - BX1303
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:34 PM   #24

Thanks, 1ciderdog. I thought I had seen a base plate which looked a little more subdued than Ernest917 experienced. I was on the BlueOx web site earlier and didn't see this one, but I don't believe the vehicle front end has changed that much. I'll give them a call.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:11 AM   #25

Damon Owners Club
My 2010 MCS has the tow package and wanted to share the photos. Are they totally hidden? Of course not. But, they do a pretty low profile job in my opinion and if installed correctly do not distract from the overall appearance.

Make up your own mind obviously.

Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1454.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	351.7 KB
ID:	20073   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1457.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	294.2 KB
ID:	20074  

Name:	IMG_1455.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	278.2 KB
ID:	20075   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1456.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	267.2 KB
ID:	20076  

Old 04-16-2012, 07:11 PM   #26

Forest River Owners Club
Hey guys....

Got a call from the "head" lady over marketing and R&D at Roadmaster today.... She said they were checking to see if I received the correct brackets and if not would rescue them... In case I did, she has her engineering guys trying to come up with a solution..

So - it appears that they are going to do something - but as they say "The jury is still out..."
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:34 AM   #27

BpK9 and Earnest, Would you please let me know your model numbers on the base plates. And, please keep me in the loop on your issue with Roadmaster, Ernest.

My Mini just got thru the assembly line and is awaiting shipment.

I really appreciate you folks taking the time and pics to help others out!
Old 04-20-2012, 02:50 PM   #28

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubix cube View Post
BpK9 and Earnest, Would you please let me know your model numbers on the base plates. And, please keep me in the loop on your issue with Roadmaster, Ernest.

My Mini just got thru the assembly line and is awaiting shipment.

I really appreciate you folks taking the time and pics to help others out!
Rubix Cube - here ya go. With the following caveat to Ernest:

Roadmaster told me the same thing back in 2010 when I was finding my TOAD solution, so be cautious and weary. It turns out they had it in market and "R & D" did not know it.

The numbers on my bracket fit the 2010 MC "S" Turbo model - not the convertible, nor the non-turbo. RM was very specific on that. The installation was done at one of the RM qualified shops in Austin Texas by a tech who does a lot of thier (RM) "test" fittings. Let me be clear, I'm very, very happy with the rig.

Keep in mind that the front brackets (the face plate and cross bar) can be moved from vehicle to vehicle, the mounting plates for the specific car are what changes. Mine has been on 3 different vehicles with only the mounting plates having changed.

So, on to the pictures for you. And all the best of luck!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1484.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	491.9 KB
ID:	20212   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1483.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	217.4 KB
ID:	20213  

Name:	IMG_1482.jpg