RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-22-2020, 03:04 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by vseasport View Post
Just bought a 2014 Mini Cooper S 2 door with manual 6 speed. The plan is to tow it behind our 38 Pheaton. The coach has a mud flap the whole length just behind the rear wheels that hangs almost to the ground. Is additional protection needed to keep the Mini from taking a rock shower?
We have one of those mud flaps. Hasnít caused any issues for us.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2020, 01:27 AM   #16

What kind if any brake system is being used to tow a mini ?

We are just in the first stages looking mode for a toad.
1. Dune Buggy = Simple tow bar and lights hooked up. But Limited to fair weather ?

2. Mini Cooper S Convertible Man Trans = Not sure if braking system is needed.
Owned an 11 S convertible fun little go cart on steroids .

3. Jeep = Definitely braking system needed. But can take doors and top off .

We have a 2011 Aspect 28B , pulled an open single axle trailer with our RZR and extras on it. Both weighed in about 2600 lbs no trailer brakes , pulled and stopped just fine.
OFDPOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 07:21 AM   #17

While Iím sure you could pull a Mini without braking, youíd be breaking the law in about 1/2 the states.
Weíre using a Ready Brute Elite towbar which has a mechanical brake in it. That required a cable to be routed from the front center of the car through the firewall behind the brake pedal. It was a PITA to get through the firewall as it is a double wall firewall so you need 1 small hole and 1 large hole to get everything installed correctly.
Old 03-28-2020, 11:37 PM   #18

Forest River Owners Club
Because of the lite weight of a Mini (under 2,600 lbs) I believe you're legal to tow without a braking system....

Towed one many years over thousands of mile all over the US without a braking system and never had a single issue....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 01:56 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
Because of the lite weight of a Mini (under 2,600 lbs) I believe you're legal to tow without a braking system....

Towed one many years over thousands of mile all over the US without a braking system and never had a single issue....
No, it's not legal to tow without brakes in the majority of states.

And then there's the laws of physics which guarantee that your minimum stopping distance will be increased by adding unbraked load to your vehicle. And, unlike highway rules, the laws of physics are ruthlessly enforced.
jmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 08:55 AM   #20

[QUOTE=ThomB;520257 That required a cable to be routed from the front center of the car through the firewall behind the brake pedal. It was a PITA to get through the firewall as it is a double wall firewall so you need 1 small hole and 1 large hole to get everything installed correctly.[/QUOTE]

I just ordered a Readybrake for our Mini. It hasen't arrived yet but have been reviewing the instructions for installation.

I don't understand your statement 1 small hole and 1 large hole? Looks to me the the small hole is just a pilot that is enlarged for use when certainty is established it is in a good place to route the cable from the firewall to the front of the car.

I would appreciate it if you would let me know if I'm not understanding correctly.
vseasport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 10:42 AM   #21

Quote:
I just ordered a Readybrake for our Mini. It hasen't arrived yet but have been reviewing the instructions for installation.

I don't understand your statement 1 small hole and 1 large hole? Looks to me the the small hole is just a pilot that is enlarged for use when certainty is established it is in a good place to route the cable from the firewall to the front of the car.

I would appreciate it if you would let me know if I'm not understanding correctly.
If you look at the instructions you will see that the outer firewall needs a 3/8Ē hole (I believe) for the mounting hardware but the inner firewall will require a larger hole so you can get to the backside of said hardware. (1Ē here). The firewall is not flat so the drill wanted to move so if you donít have a good center punch get one of those too.
Then there was getting an arm up behind the engine to get the piece fed through the steel. It was 2 of us and took the better part of an afternoon, but itís doable. Routing was not easy and I donít think I like where Iíve routed mine so may re-route that in the future. Weíre going off the road (been nearly 3 years) so we wonít be towing as much.
Old 03-29-2020, 01:10 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomB View Post
If you look at the instructions you will see that the outer firewall needs a 3/8Ē hole (I believe) for the mounting hardware but the inner firewall will require a larger hole so you can get to the backside of said hardware. (1Ē here). The firewall is not flat so the drill wanted to move so if you donít have a good center punch get one of those too.
Then there was getting an arm up behind the engine to get the piece fed through the steel. It was 2 of us and took the better part of an afternoon, but itís doable. Routing was not easy and I donít think I like where Iíve routed mine so may re-route that in the future. Weíre going off the road (been nearly 3 years) so we wonít be towing as much.
Thanks for the information. Wouldn't be fun if it wasn't a challange. The instructions make it sound like the hardware will fastened down outside of both the inter and outer firewall. You cut a larger hole on the innerwall so there is room for the nut to clear the inner wall so the hardware can be fastened to just one thickness.
vseasport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 01:52 PM   #23

Quote:
Thanks for the information. Wouldn't be fun if it wasn't a challange. The instructions make it sound like the hardware will fastened down outside of both the inter and outer firewall. You cut a larger hole on the innerwall so there is room for the nut to clear the inner wall so the hardware can be fastened to just one thickness.
That is correct.