Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2019, 11:50 AM   #1

Mini Cooper Baseplate - Blue Ox or Roadmaster?

Trying to decide between the Blue Ox (BX 1307) or the Roadmaster (RM521879-1A) baseplate installed on my 2011 Mini Cooper Clubman S, manual tranny. I will be towing behind my 40' DP.

Specific questions:

1. Any experience with installation…is one “easier” to install vs. the other?

2. Both baseplates, according to images i have found, do not expose much in the front bottom grill. I want to minimize how much of the baseplate is exposed.

I assume both are quality products so more concerned about installation and how much baseplate is visible.

Thanks for any help with the above!
TwinDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2019, 10:09 PM   #2

I'm going to give a disclaimer first: I have not installed baseplates on a Mini myself nor do I have any direct knowledge of comparing the inconspicuousness of the Blue Ox vs Roadmaster. I'm only going to make comments because I once considered a Mini for a toad but never actually did so my comments will not mean much or give any meaningful help to you so I'm just kind of filling space until somebody who owns a Mini chimes in.

First, folks on this forum know that I always try to endorse forum sponsors and recommend their products when applicable. However, even though Blue Ox is a forum sponsor, I've always used Roadmaster products on all my toads and the several tow bars I've used all have been Roadmaster.

But in this case, I'm not really endorsing one over the other. It sounds as if you've done enough research to have already viewed what I'm going to point out but just in case you haven't, I'll go ahead and give you the information nonetheless.

It also sounds as if you are going to do the installation yourself. I've never done an installation myself but have helped another RVer install Roadmaster baseplates on his vehicle. Even though I personally wouldn't attempt it myself (I just don't have the confidence), it was a lot easier than I had anticipated.

Again, I have to believe you've already went over these but just in case, here are the installation instructions for both in a PDF:

Blue Ox BX 1307

Roadmaster RM521879-1A

As far as inconspicuousness, it looks to me that they're both good at doing that. Roadmaster may have a slight advantage, IMO only.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:01 AM   #3

We've got a 2013 Roadster. I have the Blue Ox base plate installed on it.

Quote:
1. Any experience with installation…is one “easier” to install vs. the other?
I did install mine. I only know about the Blue Ox install. The hardest part was the bumper removal. (about 2 hours). I can probably help with any questions specific to the install if you need. I will say if you do it yourself don't follow the Blue Ox cutting instructions on the air intakes for the brakes.

Quote:
2. Both baseplates, according to images i have found, do not expose much in the front bottom grill. I want to minimize how much of the baseplate is exposed.
We just have the 2 holes showing and an additional mount in the center for the braking setup. from 20 feet away without the pins installed you have to look hard to see it. The power coating could be better as a few times installing the pins exposes the steel and shows rust.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:25 AM   #4

I just recently installed base plate on my new toad. At first I wasn't sure about doing it myself even though I consider myself very handy and have a large amount of various tools. The only tool I ended up buying was a torque wench which I've wanted for a while so good excuse to get one. After viewing the great step by step videos on etrailer.com I decided to do it myself and very glad I did. Not difficult at all and I know it was done correctly. Both the Blue Ox and Roadmaster base plates are well hidden when hitch pins are not installed. I looked at both install videos for each and in my case it appeared that the Roadmaster was easier to install, did not need to drill four 1" holes in frame and try to attach nuts inside which were attached to a wire to insert them through the holes. I would recommend checking out the videos and it may help you decide which way to go.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:29 PM   #5

I just completed the install of the Roadmaster baseplates on my 2007 Mini a few days ago. The installation wasn't as bad I first thought. As a previous poster commented, 20' away can't really see much difference since the lower air-intake grill is black as well. Not much exposure at all.

Tip...the 2012's may have a different style frame mount (where the bumper core mounts to the frame) than the 2007's - I did find that the four (two each side) bolt studs that are installed in the frame will not take a lot of torque - yeap broke one off. Easy fix though, just drilled a hole next to it and used a high-strength 3/8" bolt/lock washer and nut. I used red Loctite on all fasteners.

I'll pm you a pic of the front when I get back home Saturday if you would like.

Steve
campersRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 05:10 PM   #6

OP here...

Thanks all for your help and suggestions.

I decided on the Roadmaster for the baseplate (as well as the Falcon All Terrain for the tow bar)...but also decided to let the pro's do the installation.

Goes in May 8th for install.

Thanks again!
TwinDriver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baseplate, blue ox, roadmaster