Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2020, 07:46 AM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Modification to the Jeep for towing

Our toad, my daily driver now. Rigging it for the Blue Ox. Instead of hanging that towing baseplate under the stock bumper, I decided to replace it with a Rock Hard 4x4 steel bumper with Blue Ox tow brackets built in to the bumper itself.

Here it is on the rack. Next up today is wiring it up for towing plus 12v constant charge as well as the emergency brake disconnect. The brake system is the Blue Ox Patriot III. Since the power outlet up front is only hot when in accessory or on mode, I'll simply run a 12v extension cable to the rear power port which is direct-connect hot all the time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep Bumper.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	316.9 KB
ID:	302231  
TexasJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2020, 07:56 AM   #2

What’s the purpose of the emergency brake disconnect? I tow a Wrangler also and didn’t do that.
depmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 11:02 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by depmur View Post
What’s the purpose of the emergency brake disconnect? I tow a Wrangler also and didn’t do that.
I would assume he means *break away* for his brake system he's gonna install or use. But, that's just an assumption since, no one messes with the emergency brake system on a toad, at least not for towing it.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 12:58 PM   #4
HOW

Jeep may have changed this on the JL but on my JK the power port inside the center console is always hot as well which is where I plug my brake in.
HOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 01:11 PM   #5

Please post a photo of how you mount the brake disconnect and wiring connector. I'm wondering how to do that.

Why did you choose steel over aluminum? I know the aluminum costs more but the weight difference is significant. And if drilling is required for the connectors the aluminum will be much easier.

Saw your post on the Wrangler forum also.
ageishecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 01:29 PM   #6

Nice setup.
Old 09-25-2020, 03:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ageishecker View Post
Please post a photo of how you mount the brake disconnect and wiring connector. I'm wondering how to do that.

Why did you choose steel over aluminum? I know the aluminum costs more but the weight difference is significant. And if drilling is required for the connectors the aluminum will be much easier.

Saw your post on the Wrangler forum also.
Well,
When I changed both front and rear bumpers on our '15 JKUR, the new Smittybilt XRC MOD front bumper, with D-ring/recovery tabs, weighed only slightly more than the original front bumper with all the plastic junk attached. My stock suspension didn't even flinch when I put that new front bumper on there. I thought about the aluminum bumpers that were being produced at the time but, the cost blew me right out the door and, as stated, mine was/is, just not that heavy. I think, if I recall, it hovers around 42 lbs. It sure LOOKS like it should weigh a ton but, it don't.
Scott
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0070.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	270.3 KB
ID:	302323  
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 06:54 AM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Sorry, I meant break away. Sometimes words get in the way.

I looked hard at the aluminum ones but for purely money reasons stuck with steel. There was a lot of weight but the Jeep’s front suspension seems to support the weight well. Also, my bumper though designed for a high-mount winch, Im not going to put one on it. This gave me flat surfaces to work with and no hole up front for cable.

I’ll post a few closeups when it comes home this morning.
Old 09-26-2020, 08:02 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
I have set up 3 different Jeeps for flat towing over the years. Procedure was basically the same, transfer case in neutral-transmission in Park or forward gear on a manual.

Equipment was slightly different:
2004 TJ, I used Roadmaster's removeable base plate brackets and tow bar. Dash 12v always hot. Ignition on first click forward= no power to Jeep and steering unlocked. Magnetic lights on rear bumper.
2016 JK, I used Currie's base plate/skid plate that hooks right up to a Blue Ox tow bar. 12v in center console always hot, but RVI recommended constant power battery direct power for their braking system. I used the Hopkins plug and play kit for the lights.
2020 Gladiator, Maximus-3 tow bar mounts, Blue Ox, RVi3 brake with battery direct power, and a Cooltech towed vehicle harness. The new version of Jeeps have a nice firewall entry point via a large plastic plug on the driver's side for the constant power and breakaway wires. The advanced electronics created some problems for the plug and play light wiring kits, I have read.
I went with the Cooltech system. Very well thought out system and works great. An isolation switch completely separates the Jeep from the motorhome while towing. A buddy of mine saw it and returned his Mopar wiring kit, before installing, and went with Cooltech also.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bo avail.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	507.4 KB
ID:	302380   Click image for larger version

Name:	2hr2jt.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	353.2 KB
ID:	302381  

Name:	cooltech 1.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	243.1 KB
ID:	302382  
Old 09-26-2020, 08:08 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I too did the Maximus 3 tow recovery hooks on my 2020 JLUR. Installed the cooltech harness and use the brake buddy. I modified the 12v accessory plug in the dash to be hot all the time, using the cooltech kit.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 10:29 AM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
All done. 12v charging direct connect, shimmed both plug and brake-away in the RH4x4 to about level. RH4x4 brackets for Blue Ox. Using a Patriot III brake system but as mentioned before, my Jeep is 2020 so the rear cargo power port is what's always hot, what I'll run the 12v extension to.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200926_111046.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	780.4 KB
ID:	302411   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200926_111056.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	526.0 KB
ID:	302412  

Name:	20200926_111108.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	341.8 KB
ID:	302413  
Old 09-26-2020, 11:01 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Take a look at this simple kit for powering the front 12v power all the time:

https://www.cooltechllc.com/2018-jee...rport-kit.html
Old 09-26-2020, 11:47 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasJeff View Post
All done. 12v charging direct connect, shimmed both plug and brake-away in the RH4x4 to about level. RH4x4 brackets for Blue Ox. Using a Patriot III brake system but as mentioned before, my Jeep is 2020 so the rear cargo power port is what's always hot, what I'll run the 12v extension to.
Clean install, looks great. I do not know if this is true, but I thought I had read that these newfangled Jeeps have a "go to sleep" mode. Where even though the constant hot is on when the Jeep is turned off, it goes to "sleep" after 15 minutes and may not be hot anymore. Not sure if this is true or not, but something to research. It was a no issue for me because of bed on the Gladiator. Wiring a constant hot from the battery is very easy, just in case you have to do that.
Old 09-26-2020, 12:04 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDave View Post
Clean install, looks great. I do not know if this is true, but I thought I had read that these newfangled Jeeps have a "go to sleep" mode. Where even though the constant hot is on when the Jeep is turned off, it goes to "sleep" after 15 minutes and may not be hot anymore. Not sure if this is true or not, but something to research. It was a no issue for me because of bed on the Gladiator. Wiring a constant hot from the battery is very easy, just in case you have to do that.

Look at your manual for the fuse box. There is a fuse that gets moved for the rear power port that will either be a 15min delay or constant hot. You just move the fuse between locations to choose how you want it to operate.

For the front, you can easily create your own kit or use the one I linked to. Simple fix.

Tags
cat, jeep, tow, towing