Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2017, 07:37 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Mopar Harness on 2014 Jeep Wrangler

I have the Mopar harness on my JK and while it works fine I would like to change the slide in connector at the end of the harness and the extension to the MH to a standard 7 pin connector. My reason for this is that I would like to mount this connector to the bumper so that the extension between the Jeep and the MH is more secure. Also would like to do this so if anything happened to the extension I could just replace with standard parts from any auto supply store.

I have been looking for a wiring diagram of this Mopar connector with pin and color info. Has anyone seen a diagram like this floating around?

Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2017, 10:46 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoHoGo View Post
I have the Mopar harness on my JK and while it works fine I would like to change the slide in connector at the end of the harness and the extension to the MH to a standard 7 pin connector. My reason for this is that I would like to mount this connector to the bumper so that the extension between the Jeep and the MH is more secure. Also would like to do this so if anything happened to the extension I could just replace with standard parts from any auto supply store.

I have been looking for a wiring diagram of this Mopar connector with pin and color info. Has anyone seen a diagram like this floating around?

Thanks
If you're talking about what I think you are, you'd like maybe a 7 pin at the motor home end and maybe at least a 4 pin , better yet, a 6 pin at the Jeep end, correct? I use, and have used on 9 different Jeeps, a Cole-Hersey 6 pin commercial end on the Jeep end. If I can get the picture to come up, you'll see how I presently have it done on our 2015 JKUR. It's protective of the electrical pins from road debris and more.
Scott

6 PIN ROUND TRAILER CONNECTOR RECEPTACLE SOCKET BK970-2132 | eBay

Tow Ready 118037 Metal Trailer End 6-Way Flat Pin Connector New | eBay
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 12:53 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I took the seven pin extension cable that came with the jeep oem harness, cut it and connected it to a 6 pin receptacle that I mounted through a hole I drilled in my Rock Hard aftermarket aluminum bumper. Then use a coiled cord I bought from Blue Ox to my coach. Works great
Old 06-17-2017, 12:54 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
It's the exact same setup as FireUp uses.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:04 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Fire up, yes this is what I would like to do. We have a 7 pin connector on the MH so I am wondering if I change the jeep end to a 6 pin receptacle which pin would I be loosing?

Rocky Mountain, we have the Rockhard metal bumper, not sure if I want to try to drill that out so might just use a right angle bracket mounted to the top of the bumper.

Still wondering about the wire colors and pin reference.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:58 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Mohogo
We are in Alaska right now and I'm not sure if I have my drawing with me. Give me an hour and I'll dig around and look
Old 06-18-2017, 12:41 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
MoHoGo
My internet connection sucks. Hope you get this
Old 06-18-2017, 02:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Fire up, yes this is what I would like to do. We have a 7 pin connector on the MH so I am wondering if I change the jeep end to a 6 pin receptacle which pin would I be loosing?

Rocky Mountain, we have the Rockhard metal bumper, not sure if I want to try to drill that out so might just use a right angle bracket mounted to the top of the bumper.

Still wondering about the wire colors and pin reference.
MoHoGo,
Without going into all kinds of ways that trailer plugs are wired, here's a real basic idea of what's important, and what's next important. If you test each pin, you'll find or, SHOULD find:

1. Tail/marker (also known as "running lights)
2. Right Turn/Brake (99.99% are wired this way)
3. Left Turn/Brake (" " " " " " )
4. Ground

5. 12V hot (This can be either ignition controlled or, hot all the time)
6. Trailer Brakes (This pin is for when you're towing a trailer with magnetic trailer brakes
7. Back up lights (obvious of what it's for)

The arrangement of those pins in a 7 pin plug, has a standard but, it's not always wired that way. The standard is so that you can go from trailer to trailer and hook up your pigtail to each trailer and be able to tow it with all the functions working correctly. It don't always happen that way.

As for which pin you'll loose, that's really hard to say. If I had to choose which one, I'd say "back up lights". Very few trailers have back up lights, some do, but, it's rare. All my toads, 35 years worth, have all been wired using a 6 - pin plug like I linked on the toad end. About 85% of the vehicles/trucks/motor homes we've owned, have had the 7 pin trailer plug from the factory.

The reason I go with a 6 pin on the toad end is because, when you open them up, you'll normally find labeling of each pin. That really helps when setting things up. A second reason is, they're much more heavy duty than the smaller 4 pin or, 4-pin flat or others. It's my opinion of course.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:14 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
[ATTACH]165705
Hope this goes through
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0062.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	165705  
Old 06-18-2017, 09:19 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Here is a picture of my Jeep's front bumper with the receptacle flush mounted.

[ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0056.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	1.82 MB
ID:	165706  
Old 06-19-2017, 12:20 AM   #11
dp7

Quote:

Thanks
Does the Mopar harness power up the side marker lights on the front fenders when the running lights are on?
Old 06-19-2017, 07:09 AM   #12
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dp7 View Post
Does the Mopar harness power up the side marker lights on the front fenders when the running lights are on?
No, it only powers the rear taillights and brake lights.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 01:41 AM   #13
dp7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
No, it only powers the rear taillights and brake lights.
Thanks Dan!
Old 06-21-2017, 07:20 AM   #14

Location: Not Sure, but I think I should have turned left at Albuquerque

Name:	IMG_2112.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	165923Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0004.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	397.9 KB
ID:	165924

I got Mopar kit 1-05013984AA so I could plug into the Mopar harness and used a 6 pin connector on the Jeep
FlaRider is offline   Reply With Quote