Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2014, 06:34 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I am exhausted ...

This weekend I installed a Blue Ox Base Plate and a Mopar 82211156AB Wiring Harness on my 2014 Rubicon. The base plate was fairly routine … but without the help of this forum thread, the wiring harness might still be laying on my garage floor!

But it’s all installed and everything works. I took a few pictures of the wiring harness installation as that is by far the toughest part. I will post twelve (12) pictures in two (2) postings.

Photo 1 – Started by removing the passenger side fender and the door. Getting the door out of the way was worth the effort.

Photo 2 – these are the tabs that hold the fender to the body. I slid the fender up out of them and when I re-installed the fender I removed the tabs from the body and attached them back to the fender and then just pushed them back into the holes on the body.

Photo 3 – this is taken from the engine side of the firewall of the wire connectors right where you need to drill the hole through the firewall. This shot was taken after I put it all back together and you can see the wire coming out the top that heads to the front of the Jeep to hook-up to the motor home.

Photo 4 – I next un-did the two (2) nuts that hold the wire connectors plate to the firewall and folded the wires up out of my way with a plastic tie. This left the silver covered installation shield.

Photo 5 – this is the firewall after I pulled up the silver covered installation shield and drilled the hole. I used a 1-3/8” hole saw and drilled from the engine side through the firewall.

Photo 6 – this is the firewall from the inside of the vehicle after I pulled down the carpet and drilled the hole.

Photo 7 – I next fed the wire from the inside of the vehicle through the hole into the engine compartment. Had to work the rubber grommet through the hole and then push it back into the hole from the engine side of the firewall. I did apply some silicone sealant to the grommet as an extra waterproofing measure. A 1-3/8” hole is a perfect fit.

Photo 8 – Shot taken of the rubber grommet installed the hole from the inside of the vehicle.

Photo 9this is what the fun starts … the connector you need is the top one like everybody has stated. This shot shows it (see arrow) and was taken after the lower one was un-connected and pulled down out of the way best it could be. I probably spent a good hour trying to get this un-connected and the wiring harness connected to it. There is hardly any room to get your hands up there and I finally had to do it with just one hand while laying upside down across the passenger seat … was almost to the point of taking out the passenger seat. I did remove the one piece of wire cover molding across the passenger door opening to the front of the vehicle. I never want to have to get to that harness connector again!!

Photo 10 – going back to the engine compartment, this shows how I ran the wire to the front of the vehicle before re-installing the fender.

Photo 11 – This shows where I come out the front of the Jeep and connect to the wire going to the motor home, The harness comes with a cover/plug that you plug into the connector when not using it to keep water and dirt out of it.

Photo 12 – Hooked it all up and YES it worked!

That’s my story and I am sticking to it.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	475
Size:	246.5 KB
ID:	60036   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	498
Size:	159.1 KB
ID:	60037  

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	555
Size:	240.1 KB
ID:	60038   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	216.5 KB
ID:	60039  

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	615
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	60040   Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	629
Size:	238.8 KB
ID:	60041  

FLSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2014, 06:37 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Photo 7 – I next fed the wire from the inside of the vehicle through the hole into the engine compartment. Had to work the rubber grommet through the hole and then push it back into the hole from the engine side of the firewall. I did apply some silicone sealant to the grommet as an extra waterproofing measure. A 1-3/8” hole is a perfect fit.

Photo 8 – Shot taken of the rubber grommet installed the hole from the inside of the vehicle.

Photo 9 – this is what the fun starts … the connector you need is the top one like everybody has stated. This shot shows it (see arrow) and was taken after the lower one was un-connected and pulled down out of the way best it could be. I probably spent a good hour trying to get this un-connected and the wiring harness connected to it. There is hardly any room to get your hands up there and I finally had to do it with just one hand while laying upside down across the passenger seat … was almost to the point of taking out the passenger seat. I did remove the one piece of wire cover molding across the passenger door opening to the front of the vehicle. I never want to have to get to that harness connector again!!

Photo 10 – going back to the engine compartment, this shows how I ran the wire to the front of the vehicle before re-installing the fender.

Photo 11 – This shows where I come out the front of the Jeep and connect to the wire going to the motor home, The harness comes with a cover/plug that you plug into the connector when not using it to keep water and dirt out of it.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	157.4 KB
ID:	60042   Click image for larger version

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	210.4 KB
ID:	60043  

Name:	9.jpg
Views:	569
Size:	288.8 KB
ID:	60044   Click image for larger version

Name:	10.jpg
Views:	553
Size:	176.6 KB
ID:	60045  

Name:	11.jpg
Views:	539
Size:	288.6 KB
ID:	60046   Click image for larger version

Name:	12.jpg
Views:	546
Size:	326.0 KB
ID:	60047  

Old 04-06-2014, 06:42 PM   #17

Forest River Owners Club
Thanks very much Steve. Mopar should be replacing their primitive instructions with your post.
Towing 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
corvettec3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:18 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
FLSteve, great job enjoy!!
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:13 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSteve View Post

Photo 9 – this is what the fun starts … the connector you need is the top one like everybody has stated. This shot shows it (see arrow) and was taken after the lower one was un-connected and pulled down out of the way best it could be. I probably spent a good hour trying to get this un-connected and the wiring harness connected to it. There is hardly any room to get your hands up there and I finally had to do it with just one hand while laying upside down across the passenger seat … was almost to the point of taking out the passenger seat. I did remove the one piece of wire cover molding across the passenger door opening to the front of the vehicle. I never want to have to get to that harness connector again!!

Steve
Sounds all too familiar! Great job. Agree, Mopar needs serious work on their instructions. Enjoy!
Gladie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 08:02 PM   #20

Steve,

First let me thank you for this write-up. I just purchased a 2013, very slightly used Rubicon for my wife and I. I'm about to order all the goodies to rig it for towing 4 flat and had a few questions.

1) Why does the fender need to be removed? Seems to me there's plenty of room under there, and removing the wheel/tire would give you access. What am I missing?

2) I fear that if I remove the fender, those plastic tabs won't hold as strongly the second time around. Did you notice any looseness after re-installing the fender?

3) You said you removed the door and it was worth the effort. How did you find this beneficial?

4) Exactly which lights function when connected to the motorhome. Do all 3 brake lights work (left, right Center)? Do the front running lights and blinkers work in conjunction with the rears?

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated. I really like the idea of using a purpose built harness from Mopar (as opposed to aftermarket), but the installation process has me a bit spooked. The details of you post have served to relieve some of the spookiness!

Thanks

Bill B

BTW... We got the Silver Rubicon also. It's the coolest color!
vtwinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 08:06 PM   #21

Steve,

Follow-up.

I think I answered question number 1. Please understand that I'm out of town on business right now and the Jeep is at home in the driveway. I don't have the benefit of being able to go out and look at it before I ask stupid questions like question number 1 above.

I assume that the fender and fender well are connected and the fender well is really what needs to be out of the way.

Please elaborate.

Thx

Bill B
vtwinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 05:44 AM   #22

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwinwilly View Post
Steve,

Follow-up.

I think I answered question number 1. Please understand that I'm out of town on business right now and the Jeep is at home in the driveway. I don't have the benefit of being able to go out and look at it before I ask stupid questions like question number 1 above.

I assume that the fender and fender well are connected and the fender well is really what needs to be out of the way.

Please elaborate.

Thx

Bill B
That is correct Bill, the inner fender is attached to the outer and it blocks access to the area where the hole needs to be cut. I bought a bag of fender clips on ebay just in case I broke some but all was fine and I did not need them.
Towing 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
corvettec3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:20 AM   #23

going back to the original OPs question... the mopar cable isolates the Jeep's power and uses the towing vehicles power. So when the mopar cable is plugged in the tow vehicles it is supposed to sense the tow vehicles power. This is the reason why on some vehicles it works and some it doesnt.... it is not the cable or the jeep. It is the TOW VEHICLE's receptacle that doesn't have that output power. Im forgetting what pin should have the power but... It is documented if you dig far enough. All you nne to do is jumper a wire on pin so so to another pin and voila... magic.
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:38 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwinwilly View Post
Steve,

First let me thank you for this write-up. I just purchased a 2013, very slightly used Rubicon for my wife and I. I'm about to order all the goodies to rig it for towing 4 flat and had a few questions.

1) Why does the fender need to be removed? Seems to me there's plenty of room under there, and removing the wheel/tire would give you access. What am I missing?

2) I fear that if I remove the fender, those plastic tabs won't hold as strongly the second time around. Did you notice any looseness after re-installing the fender?

3) You said you removed the door and it was worth the effort. How did you find this beneficial?

4) Exactly which lights function when connected to the motorhome. Do all 3 brake lights work (left, right Center)? Do the front running lights and blinkers work in conjunction with the rears?

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated. I really like the idea of using a purpose built harness from Mopar (as opposed to aftermarket), but the installation process has me a bit spooked. The details of you post have served to relieve some of the spookiness!

Thanks

Bill B

BTW... We got the Silver Rubicon also. It's the coolest color!
vtwinwilly ... sorry for the delay but I just saw your posting. Here's my take:

1) Why does the fender need to be removed? Seems to me there's plenty of room under there, and removing the wheel/tire would give you access. What am I missing? I agree with your and corvettec3's answers.

2) I fear that if I remove the fender, those plastic tabs won't hold as strongly the second time around. Did you notice any looseness after re-installing the fender? - I was very careful removing them and they went right back on with no problems. Everything seems to be just as tight. You can always get some like corvettec3 did ... but I just "took a chance" and it worked out.

3) You said you removed the door and it was worth the effort. How did you find this beneficial? Because when I was drilling the hole and running the wire, I could reach the front and back of the firewall at the same time with both hands. Also it just made more room to get in there and work and lay on my back and head!

4) Exactly which lights function when connected to the motorhome. Do all 3 brake lights work (left, right Center)? Do the front running lights and blinkers work in conjunction with the rears? I think just the rear lights ... but will double check the next time I have it hooked up. All three (3) brake lights do come on.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:58 PM   #25

FLSTEVE, is there a way I can check to see if the dealer did the job the correct way without removing anything? I'm concerned about the sealing and installation of where the wires goes thru the firewall. Thanks.
Old 07-15-2014, 01:37 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepfreak View Post
FLSTEVE, is there a way I can check to see if the dealer did the job the correct way without removing anything? I'm concerned about the sealing and installation of where the wires goes thru the firewall. Thanks.
jeepfreak ... you should be able to see the rubber grommet from the inside by just pulling the carpet down under the glove compartment. Below is the photo I took of mine during installation and shows the rubber grommet installed in the hole from the inside of the vehicle. The only way to see the engine side of the firewall is to remove the fender etc.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	210.4 KB
ID:	67929  
Old 07-15-2014, 03:51 AM   #27

Thanks Steve , it's supposed to be ready for pick up later today.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:17 PM   #28

The instructions said 1 1/8" hole saw and honestly, there is no way of getting the grommet through. I wished I started with 1 3/8. Right now I'm retrofitting with a Daystar grommet. The instructions from mopar are awful!
s2kdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wiring