Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2017, 08:33 AM   #15

We travel with our Electra Glide in a 5'x8' V-nose cargo trailer.
I had the trailer made at R&R Trailers in Three Rivers Michigan and it is a great, all aluminum trailer.
You can order several additional features.
Must admit, I should have ordered one size larger, but love this one and get many compliments on it.
The trailer tows well and I don't even feel it behind us.
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2017, 07:45 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
I used the Rampage lift when I had the tt. It works great but I don't believe it will clear a ladder rack when you load as the bike goes up before it tips over to level.
I've switched to a motorhome now and had an Overbilt lift installed on the MH. It carries my Streetglide well and still tows my car well. I am switching to a softail this year which will be about 100 pounds lighter.
Old 11-18-2017, 08:31 AM   #17

I do exactly what you are thinking about. I have a 2105 F-150 with a ladder rack and Rampage lift. I Put 2 Kayaks on the front part of the ladder rack , a bicycle on each side of the ladder rack along the bed and either my Road Glide or my Street 750 on the Rampage in the bed. Works great. fyi-- the rear cross member of most ladder racks are removable with a pin or 2, so then the bike goes up the ramp, there is no issue with the angle/height. I'll see if I can dig out a picture.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 10:57 AM   #18
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
We towed a 2012 1/2 ton Chevrolet Silverado crew cab with a RZR in the bed for a couple of years. We used an aluminum ramp for loading. The RZR put the 1/2 ton Silverado right at it's cargo capacity. I added air bags to the truck to keep it stable while towing/cornering.

Depending on your age and strength, riding a full dressed Harley up a ramp into the bed of a truck can be an issue. In my younger days, no biggee. Personally, if I were to try and haul a big bike again, I would use the rampage lift.

Hauling the RZR in the Silverado brought my toad weight to 7K. I bought a Roadmaster 10K tow bar and added aftermarket removable metal arms to the tailgate, to supplement the cables when loading. We towed the combination from Southern California to Utah several times without issue.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 06:15 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
I do exactly what you are thinking about. I have a 2105 F-150 with a ladder rack and Rampage lift. I Put 2 Kayaks on the front part of the ladder rack , a bicycle on each side of the ladder rack along the bed and either my Road Glide or my Street 750 on the Rampage in the bed. Works great. fyi-- the rear cross member of most ladder racks are removable with a pin or 2, so then the bike goes up the ramp, there is no issue with the angle/height. I'll see if I can dig out a picture.

Would love to see pictures if not too much trouble. What model ladder rack and Rampage were you using?
Any idea of your total weight when loaded?
Thanks for your response.
ToalleyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 06:56 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToalleyP View Post
Would love to see pictures if not too much trouble. What model ladder rack and Rampage were you using?
Any idea of your total weight when loaded?
Thanks for your response.
I've been looking for pics-- I can find one of my ranger with the Road Glide in ( but not with the ladder rack) it but not the F-150. I know I have a couple as I took them before our last trip, but they have been hiding on me !

The Rampage is just a standard Rampage lift. I pick it up on Craig's List 7 years ago and have used it in my Ranger and F-150. The ladder rack is a Rack-It rack-- they are all welded and heavy duty. We have 6 kayaks... 2x17' ocean, 2x10' fishing and 2x8' river. We take 2 when we go somewhere. I did put air bags on the rear to keep things level. No idea of the toatl weight, but the Rampage is about 350#, add in the weight of the bike ( either 1000# or 500# depending on which one), the kayaks are between 19 and 40 lbs ea. To mount the bicycles, I put a couple pieces of aluminum 4x4 with the top cut out on the side of the bed to put the bikes in.

OK - I did find a couple pic's -- not the ones I was looking for, but will give you an idea ( click on them to blow them up) You can see the truck behind the canopy in the first two---the bicycles can be seen in the 1st one, the kayaks in the second one. The Harley has already been unloaded and under cover. The 3rd shot shows the 4x4 that hold the bicycles
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	018.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	443.8 KB
ID:	183302   Click image for larger version

Name:	020.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	481.6 KB
ID:	183303  

Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg