Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2006, 10:42 AM   #1

I was just paging through the new 2006 Motorhome towing guide which came in the January magazine and noticed that the only Honda product listed at all is the CRX. Has Honda discontinued permitting their vehicles from being towed? I know in the past all of them were towable as long as you ran the enine every 8 hours. I also noticed that none of the Acura products were towable. The MDX also used to be. If this is true it's a real shame as they make an excellent product.

Jack

Jack Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2006, 10:42 AM   #2

I was just paging through the new 2006 Motorhome towing guide which came in the January magazine and noticed that the only Honda product listed at all is the CRX. Has Honda discontinued permitting their vehicles from being towed? I know in the past all of them were towable as long as you ran the enine every 8 hours. I also noticed that none of the Acura products were towable. The MDX also used to be. If this is true it's a real shame as they make an excellent product.

Jack

Jack Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 01:51 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I recently saw an Acura TSX behind an Alpha Gold. That car has a 6 speed manual tranny so it should be towable. Would think any Honda with manual transmission would be towable.
Old 01-14-2006, 04:32 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
The only Hondas ever listed were the CRV, Element and Pilot. The towing guide never listed the Accord or Civic even though they were towable. I tow a 2003 Civic.

From what my Honda dealer told me concerning the 2006's Honda has had lots of problems with owners not following Hondas pre-towing procedure. Owners would have problems and expect Honda to cover the repairs under warranty. Thus Honda is recommending do not tow.

There has been a 6th gear added to some of their transmissions and according to my source at my local Honda dealer they can still be towed but don't expect Honda to cover any transmission problems, under warranty, on a vehicle with tow brackets installed.

I do know the 2006 Pilot is towable becuase I know a fellow that tows one.

Anyone have similar info from their dealer???

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 07:29 PM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Would think any Honda with manual transmission would be towable. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

IMHO this is a false assumption. Having a manual does not = it can be become a FROG

Pushed by a KITTY KAT
wallynm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 07:26 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
The only Hondas ever listed were the CRV, Element and Pilot. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We have a 2003 Honda Element that we tow. Until 2006, the Element has always been listed in Motorhome Magazine's Dinghy Towing Guide.

The Element is built on the CR-V chassis...the only difference, as far as I am aware, between the CR-V and the Element is body styling.

So I find it very strange that the CR-V is still listed as being towable 4-down, but the Element isn't.
Old 01-16-2006, 05:23 AM   #7
Administrator Emeritus

Might have to do with liability.....I do remember a guy over on rv.net having trouble with Honda over this very same issue.
Might be worth an rv.net search.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 11:22 AM   #8

Rebelsbeach is correct. Honda no longer lists their vehicles as being towable for liability purposes.

So, if you tow it and you break it; you bought it....
gasbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 12:27 PM   #9

My son was looking into buying the 2006 Honda Pilot to tow and the owner's manuel stated it was not towable. I told him to contact Remco who makes pumps for cars that are not suspose to be towed. Remco is telling people who inquire about Honda's policy for 2006 towing that infact you can tow the Pilot without adding any pumps and if you don't believe them they will sell you an insurance policy that will repair any damage to the transmission from towing. So keep towing those Honda's..just go through the procedure of starting the vehicle before towing and taking it from park, to reverse, to neutral, to drive, then to drive 2 then to drive 1. Then go back up to netrul thru the drive gears and let it idle for approx 30 sec. before shuting off the ignition in the aux position (so the steering wheel is not locked but the ignition is off)Never just take the transmission from park to reverse to neutral and tow...the valve body in the transmission will be in the wrong position and damage it

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
kenbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 01:00 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Read my previous post on this subject thread.

And a friend of mine tows a 2006 Pilot. I'll give you his name and email address if you email me.

Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 10:41 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just switched from a 2002 Honda Accord to a 2006 CRV4/SE/all wheel drive. The owners manual states it "CAN ONLY be Towed 4 wheels down"
Old 02-20-2006, 03:58 PM   #12

kenbt,

You'd better double check your Honda owners manual. Mine says after the shifting proceedure, let the engine idle a minumum of THREE minutes before shuting off engine and repeating the entire proceedure every 8 hours of towing.

Best Regards!

2007 Winnebago Journey 39K Freightliner Chassis, Cat C7
Old Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 05:17 PM   #13

When the engine is not running (whether being towed or parked) it takes about 8 hours for the transmission fluid to drain into the pan. It takes three minutes for the fluid to pump back thru the torque converter and transmission.
RUFINIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 05:53 PM   #14

Since we are looking for a new vehicle to tow I stopped at the Honda dealer in Grand Junction, CO and asked which vehicles Honda will certify as 4 down towable. The salesperson said I would not believe him and took me to the service manager. His reply was only the Civic and Accord are now on Honda's list. His statement was that this just recently came down from headquarters. Tow anything else at your own risk.

Dean Nelson
Dean Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote