Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-09-2017, 01:40 PM   #29

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyian View Post
It's not really all that heavy but I'm not getting any younger so if there is a way to make life easier I usually take that fork in the road.
If you make it too easy, on a level spot, O.K., but when you get to a slope, watch out, it can build up a lot of inertia --- and no way to stop it!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2017, 02:10 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
If you make it too easy, on a level spot, O.K., but when you get to a slope, watch out, it can build up a lot of inertia --- and no way to stop it!
LOL...if I need to move it any further than my RV site I'll hitch it to the toad
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 01:32 AM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Info for all who have questions about my hf tongue jack mount on my acme tow dolly...

I drilled 2 holes in the A frame, 5/16'' if memory serves.
I used the hf supplied bracket as a doubler on the inside of the A frame with grade 6 bolts.
This setup is working well for us for over 2 years now.
I like the idea if using 2" square pipe as that would give the installation some adjustability without drilling.
My cell phone pic was taken horizontally.
My HF tongue jack installation supports the weight of the car well when disconnected from my Moho.
The small jack wheel doesn't steer well probably because of its size and location so far from the hitch.
Thanks for your interest.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '18 MB CLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 11:00 AM   #32
Community Administrator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
Info for all who have questions about my hf tongue jack mount on my acme tow dolly...
My HF tongue jack installation supports the weight of the car well when disconnected from my Moho...
Thanks for your interest.
OK - this is something I have never thought about...so, you can unhook the dolly, with the car loaded on the dolly(?). I can see how that might be useful.

BUT, re-hooking a loaded dolly? That seems like it would be very difficult.
Details please
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 01:27 PM   #33

Never tried it or have a Acme, but you should be able to turn the car steering to move the tonuge right to left on an Acme dolly, to get it over the ball.

Do it on level ground, so the whole thing don't roll away.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 08:36 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
acme dolly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
OK - this is something I have never thought about...so, you can unhook the dolly, with the car loaded on the dolly(?). I can see how that might be useful.

I chocked the wheels on the dolly.
I used my backup camera to aim my Moho at my DW.
I can use 2 way radios when necessary.

BUT, re-hooking a loaded dolly? That seems like it would be very difficult.
Details please
I used, see above. This forum is a pita to post. First not enough characters, then have to reload to post, then posts my answer in the wrong place. It took over 30 min to sorta answer these questions.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '18 MB CLA FWD on dolly
Old 06-10-2017, 10:41 PM   #35
Community Administrator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
I used, see above. This forum is a pita to post. First not enough characters, then have to reload to post, then posts my answer in the wrong place. It took over 30 min to sorta answer these questions.
So Sorry for the posting difficulty...but THANKS for the reply

I am gonna try this tongue jack idea...and try Twinboat's idea for left/right alignment.

About the Forum, I'm on this and several others. They all seem to run about the same
-except- if using the TapaTalk App That is not so great

Thanks again
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 06-11-2017, 07:36 PM   #36

This idea of disconnecting the loaded dolly from the Moho intrigues me...would I be able to unload the toad with the dolly supported by the jack?
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 07:42 PM   #37

Quote:
This idea of disconnecting the loaded dolly from the Moho intrigues me...would I be able to unload the toad with the dolly supported by the jack?
With an open differencial, you may torque one wheel more then the other, in reverse, sending the dolly sideways.

With removable ramps, they could unhook, if the tongue lifted.

I wouldn't try it.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 07:55 PM   #38
Community Administrator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

As soon as the car's tires rolled back beyond the dolly's axle, the dolly tongue would flip up in the air.

I would not try that without finding a way to chock the rear of the dolly...or hold the dolly tongue down.

Safe travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 06-11-2017, 08:11 PM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
NO! It would take more than my D W to hold the tongue down...a hellova ride for sure!
The tongue would tip up uncontrollable
My loading ramps will not fit under the 6 tiedown lugs on the back face of my dolly. If they would fit, it MIGHT be possible although risky.
Old 06-12-2017, 02:31 AM   #40

Actually I think the front of the towed would limit the tongue travel as it smacked into the grill. Try explaining that to your insurance company....

I would be very skeptical of unhooking a loaded dolly. If you have a setup where as a couple you can really hit a trailer ball well most of the time then maybe. I could with my father when I was 10. I cannot with my SO as she has a poor grasp of space and direction either giving or taking. We would make a good circus act hooking up a pull behind.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 02:56 AM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Nothermark,
My DW and I have unhooked my loaded acme dolly with the hf tongue jack and rehooked it to my Moho twice so far without issues.

Tags
campground, tow