Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-16-2021, 03:12 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Mud Flap vs No Mud Flap

I would like to revisit the mud flap vs no mud flap topic. I know that many say no mud flap because the mud flap can occasionally drag the ground throwing up gravel and debris back on the toad. This actually made sense to me, but when I did remove the mud flap the problem was worse, so I put it back on. I took out a couple of links from the chains to raise it so it would not drag the ground as much. This has worked “OK” for a couple of years.
Yesterday I had one of the eye bolts break while driving causing one side of the mud flap to drag the ground for many miles unnoticed.
I am now reconsidering removing the mud flap. I have a theory as to why it did not work for me the last time. The mud flaps that are right behind each of the rear duel tires seem to be inadequate. They are too short and sometimes fly up getting stuck in the up position allowing the tries to sling rocks back. I was thinking of replacing those with ones designed for trucks. Has anyone done this after removing the single mud flap?
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2021, 03:25 PM   #2

Mud flaps ?

Here is my solution.
Added extensions to the wheel's flap, and a "brush style" out back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	234.7 KB
ID:	332416  
Old 06-16-2021, 03:48 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer15015 View Post
Here is my solution.
Added extensions to the wheel's flap, and a "brush style" out back.
That's pretty cool. where did you get the extensions?
Old 06-16-2021, 04:11 PM   #4

I don't have a picture, but that is what I did, just extended my behind the wheel flaps by 4". Bought new flaps cut to size and bolted together.
Old 06-16-2021, 04:35 PM   #5

Recent thread on this here: Towing without a rock guard

My [edited] post from that thread:

We have no "ad flap" (on both our current and a prior motorhome), and have no dings after 25K+ miles towing our F150. The flaps behind the rear tires are more than sufficient (for us) to catch most rocks, and those that it does not catch probably don't have enough arc in their trajectory to reach a towed vehicle anyway.

We also do not use a towbar-mounted rock guard.

Air is compressed as it flows under a rear flap, which when suddenly decompressed (after the flap) can cause smaller rocks to fling up and scratch the paint of a towed vehicle (as the air must decompress upward). It therefore becomes a "rock delivery system" as creativepart noted in a prior post.

I wish I could find a video I saw online a few years ago where someone had demonstrated this in a wind tunnel with smoke (this was specific to a motorhome)...it was striking how much upflow there was after the long rear flap as compared to much less upflow with no flap.

As far as I can tell (our experience and observation) these are manufacturer advertising banners and bling (for those that have a need for bling). We carried ours around for 2+ years in the under-coach storage until I finally tossed it a few weeks ago.

EDIT: I like the idea of adding extensions to the flaps immediately behind the rear wheels.
hilgert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 08:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJB View Post
That's pretty cool. where did you get the extensions?
I bought a generic truck flap and cut it into strips.
measured 3" off the ground and 2' up on my OEM flap and used (6) #8 X 3/4" stainless bolts and nylock nuts per flap at the 1" overlap dimension with Fender washers on each side.
Been on there for 4 trips from Colorado to Florida and back with no issues.

We do tow a minivan on a Car Tow Dolly and the "brush style" flap in the back does a good job of keeping it rock free.

Mike in Colorado
Old 06-17-2021, 08:14 AM   #7

I have no data on toad dings with or without a rock guard. I removed mine simply because, a few times, it would bind unless I helped it when I lowered the coach with not enough ground clearance. If it is installed at the proper height it should not be the cause for dings in the toad but it should help protect it.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 10:08 AM   #8

anybody have experience with those "flying tarps" that stretch horizontally between the coach and the toad? Seems like those are a really good solution, especially for dollys.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 10:22 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanDiemen23 View Post
anybody have experience with those "flying tarps" that stretch horizontally between the coach and the toad? Seems like those are a really good solution, especially for dollys.
I use the Protect-a-Tow, which is a mesh shield under the towbars between the MH and toad. If installed properly, it provides complete protection for the toad. I still have the large rubber flap across the rear of the MH, which I believe will stop any large debris that might damage the mesh shield. I have been using this combination for many years with no rock chips on the toad!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 04:30 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Yes, we have a protect-a-tow installed and it really does help. The one we have is about worn out though after over 3 years of use. We plan on replacing it with a new one.
Old 06-24-2021, 05:09 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I took off the single mud flap/rock guard one time abut a year ago based on recommendations from here. This did not work out so well for me causing several rock chips to appear in the paint on the toad. Just about every trip I would find a small gravel rock or 2 on the wiper blades of the toad. So I put th mud flap back on but raised it about 2 inches which seemed to solve the problem. I still want to get rid of that mud flap though.
I have been studying the current mud flaps behind the rear tires. These things are pretty flimsy. They are 18X22 made of what looks to be about 1/8" plastic material. The truck mud flaps I have been seeing are all 24" wide in various length made of about 1/2" rubber material much heavier that would tend to not flap around driving down the road. In looking at where they need to be mounted I think 24" would be too wide and would interfere with the springs on the leveling jacks. This is ongoing research for me. I suppose extending the current mud flaps would work better, but I am thinking replacing them al together might be the better option.
Thoughts?
Old 06-25-2021, 06:55 AM   #12

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:

I have one of those, came with the motorhome and towbar when I bought it.
Seems to work fine.

I just have to disconnect the toad end and move it out of the way when I check the oils etc. on the motorhome but it's not a big effort.
Old 06-25-2021, 12:48 PM   #13

Larry,
See post #2.
That combined with my full width "brush style" 24" tall rear flap solved my problem.

Mike in Colorado
Old 06-25-2021, 04:01 PM   #14

When I had the big Ad flap, I towed a 26' custom painted enclosed trailer. I found stone chips 6' off the ground on the front of the trailer. I have no idea how stones could get that high, but they did. I repainted the trailer and removed the big rock thrower. No paint chips in the next 4,000 miles before I sold the trailer. When towing our White Diamond Avalanche, I use the Protect-A-Tow as added safety. It works great and easy to install.

My son had a similar experience with his Mountain Aire and threw the flap away.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote