Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2009, 07:15 AM   #1

At least I thought it was funny, my wife, not so much. Of course SHE was the one pulled over for impersonating a police office.

I installed an SMI AFO system on my towed. They provide a blue LED that they say to attach to the tow bar so you can see from the backup camera in the MH when the brakes on the towed are being applied. Well of course, I had a better idea. Figured I'd just install the light permanently in the car, taped to the underside of the rear-view mirror. Figured its out of the weather, permanently hooked up, I can see it easily in the camera from the MH, doesn't hurt anything while driving, perfect arraignment - or so I thought.

On the way home this morning from dropping my daughter off at school, while sitting at a stop light, my wife was pulled over. The cop (who was a real jerk from my wife's description) accused her of trying to impersonate a police officer because of the blue LED that lights up when the brakes are applied. By the time they were done, there were THREE cruisers at the scene. My wife was apparently having trouble making the original cop understand the need for a brake system on a truck, and/or FORWARD facing braking indicator, he didn't see how that could help with towing anything. Seems he could not understand the car was the tow-ee, not the tow-er. I guess someone in the last cruiser-to-arrive, finally understood the purpose of the indicator light and reasoned that my wife most likely was NOT trying to impersonate an officer and did not really deserve the multi-thousand dollar fine that was being threatened.

Turns out though that forward-facing lights in "unexpected" places, especially blue, red, yellow, or white are (according to the police on the scene) illegal to display in/on your car. She was finally allowed to take down the light and go home

Live and learn, and it was such a good idea... Maybe I should just follow the instructions next time - Nah! My wife did add an item to the top of my honey-do list, "Disconnect that *@%*$&# light -- NOW!"
Brian_R1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2009, 07:51 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had my SMI Stay-in-Play professionally installed last year. They mounted the LED light bar on the mirror just as you described. Haven't been stopped by the police yet but I will warn my wife just in case.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 12:59 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
I mounted mine on the dash of the mh, thought it might be too hard to see in the rear view camera.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:27 PM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
My wife did add an item to the top of my honey-do list, "Disconnect that *@%*$&# light -- NOW!"
So, Brian. How comfortable is sleeping on the couch?
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 02:27 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Hello Wayne:

In California it is illegal to display a solid RED light to the front unless you an authorized emergency vehicle as defined by the California Vehicle Code § 165. It is also illegal to display a blue light unless you are an authorized police vehicle. You might want to try a different color. (amber)
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 02:35 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mine look to be silver in color.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 03:10 PM   #7

Quote:
So, Brian. How comfortable is sleeping on the couch?
A little wine, a little cheese, the story seems a little funnier (and maybe embellished a little) to her the further in the past it is. Hopefully I won't have to find out
Brian_R1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 05:47 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Someone I know had a limo they bought used and was driving cross country with it. The boomerang style tv antenna on the trunk lid had blue neon edging.
http://www.radioscanner.nl/boomerang_antenna.htm

They got a ticket from an Ohio state trooper for display of a blue light.
Last I heard they were going to fight it, but I'm not sure how it turned out.

Discretion can be a good thing.
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:25 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Just add a switch in the line and only turn it on when towing.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote