Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2008, 05:56 PM   #1

Well I guess I will have to find a toad I can tow with 4 wheels down.Does anyone know of a web site I can go to that has a list different mfg. that list cars that can be towed....Thanks
VACMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2008, 05:56 PM   #2

Well I guess I will have to find a toad I can tow with 4 wheels down.Does anyone know of a web site I can go to that has a list different mfg. that list cars that can be towed....Thanks
Old 03-04-2008, 06:04 PM   #3
JRP

Motorhome Magazine Dinghy Guide
JRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:11 PM   #4

Thanks JRP I have that Guide, but I was wondering if thre was a web site that might give more to choose from
Old 03-04-2008, 07:12 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
VACMAN,
Motorhome has a good list as does www.fmca.com. Or try www.Remco.com

Best,
ruppr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 02:54 AM   #6
paz

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VACMAN:
Thanks JRP I have that Guide, but I was wondering if thre was a web site that might give more to choose from </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
VACMAN, welcome to iRV2.

Generally, both FMCA and Motorhome Magazine list all the vehicles that can be towed without significant modification and that are approved by the manufacturer for flat towing. Occasionally, a new model that is towable will come out after the lists are published, but that is the exception. There are other vehicles that can be towed that either are not officially approved by the manufacturer or that modifications such as lube pumps and drive line disconnects are required. Remco will be able to help with lube pumps and disconnects.

Many front wheel drive vehicles that can't be flat towed can be towed on a dolly, which will keep the drive wheels raised. A flat bed or enclosed trailer is another option, but make sure your motorhome and hitch have the capacity to tow the extra weight.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:51 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Hi VACMAN,
Welcome to iRV2. I look at toads a bit differently. I keep my vehicles for 10-12 years minimum. This means the vehicle must first meet my needs as a stand alone vehicle. Only then will I check to see how I would tow it. My signature indicates I tow with both a dolly and four down. There are so many different ways one can tow, for me, it is a secondary consideration to how the vehicle meets my needs.

To see if the manufacturer allows towing, check the owners manual. This is the only place you will find the information, in writing.

The hardest part, for me, is determining my needs. Looking forward, in time, is not the easiest thing to do. However, one determined, the vehicle choices that match just seem to surface to the top of the selection list. The choice becomes much easier to make.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 05:43 PM   #8

Gary's advice is very good. I, like him tow two different vehicles (depends on where I am going and what I need the toad for). The Ford Focus is a standard shift and goes 4 down and the Ford Free Style is a front wheel drive automatic cross over and it goes on a dolly. Your personal needs should dictate which direction you go.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:33 PM   #9

We also keep stuff for years and tow as a FROG either a 2000 Suburban or an 04 Mustang. Both are factory approved to tow with no additional modifications.

Pushed by a KITTY KAT
wallynm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 01:50 AM   #10

There's not a lot of info published about the Ford Edge but it is towable 4-down. I always check the Owner's Manual for the specific details, which can sometimes be a bit involved. From that we decided an Edge was what would serve us well and is easy to get going with. No fuses to pull, no special time limits, etc.
It's a hook & go deal, which I like.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote