Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2013, 09:53 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by chawkins99 View Post
V C Section 26458 Baking System Towing Vehicles

A braking system is not required in California for:

(1) Vehicles engaged in driveaway-towaway operations.
(2) Disabled vehicles, while being towed.
(3) Towed motor vehicles.

if the combination of vehicles meets the stopping distance requirements of Section 26454:

A Toad is not a trailer under California law.
Shhh! Don't tell anyone! ;-)
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2013, 09:55 AM   #72

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:

V C Section 26458 Baking System Towing Vehicles

A braking system is not required in California for:

if the combination of vehicles meets the stopping distance requirements of Section 26454:

A Toad is not a trailer under California law.
I must not read this the same way you do. I feel that I would have a hard time going to a civil court for injury compensation from a toad that I had if I took this approach. I want to do all I can to prevent the legal system from taking all my money and future. Cheap insurance in the long run!
Old 12-31-2013, 10:08 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
I must not read this the same way you do. I feel that I would have a hard time going to a civil court for injury compensation from a toad that I had if I took this approach. I want to do all I can to prevent the legal system from taking all my money and future. Cheap insurance in the long run!
Again, my point is missed entirely. I've never said that the lack of a braking system (supplemental, breakaway, or otherwise) wasn't a good idea nor have I advocated for same.

Any inference is your own.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:14 AM   #74

Monaco Owners Club
So I guess the only question left to ask is can you stop your loaded coach and toad in less than 50 ft when going a speed of twenty mph?
V C Section 26454 Control and Stopping Requirements
Old 12-31-2013, 10:15 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by targaboat View Post
Lets just face it, some people are just too cheap to buy a supplemental brake system
targaboat
HAY!
I resemble that remark!
However, I have nothing against owners that have an aux brake system, (some of my best friends use them).

Mel
'96 Safari, 132k miles, (100+towing).
Old 12-31-2013, 10:18 AM   #76

These threads invariably descend into a slanging match over who's right and who's wrong.

In my case, I purchased my MH 18 months ago and at the time invested in a tow dolly (with electric brakes). Primarily because the vehicle I had could not be flat-towed.

Since purchasing, I have laid out over $10,000 for various items including:
  • New tires
  • New Alternator
  • 4-wheel alignment
  • TPMS
  • Oil/filter change and lube
  • New inverter/converter
  • Steering stabilizer
  • New shocks
I recently bought the Equinox so I could flat-tow so add to the list a baseplate, towbar and drop receiver.

I knew going in that this wasn't going to be cheap but my pockets are not bottomless.

Currently on my wish-list:
  • Air Force One braking system ($1,800 installed)
  • Progressive Industries surge protector ($350)
Both these items are nice to have but are not required by law (at least where I plan to travel in the next 6 months). Right now, my pockets are empty but when I can afford them, I will get them.

As long as I am legal, I will carry on and if I am in an accident, so be it. Provided I am operating within the law, no lawyer is going to "crucify me".

Some of these big rigs have a 250-300 gallon fuel tank. That's equivalent to a small car. Is it wrong, illegal or immoral for them to travel with a full fuel tank? Or a full water tank? NO! so why is it wrong for me to tow that same weight behind me?
Old 12-31-2013, 10:24 AM   #77

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman Snerd View Post

Again, my point is missed entirely. I've never said that the lack of a braking system (supplemental, breakaway, or otherwise) wasn't a good idea nor have I advocated for same.

Any inference is your own.
Herman,
Your point is not missed. I have stated the facts as I know them and also my opinion. My opinion should no way reflect that I don't think you would take the high road here.
I once towed a very light sidekick and wondered myself whether I needed to have aux brakes. I drove to California twice without cause this toad only weighed in at 2000#.
I have since done some research as you are doing and now use a system with breakaway. After all said and done on this forum, you will do what is best I'm sure.

Have a Great New Years
Old 12-31-2013, 10:24 AM   #78

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCSAILS
Just purchased a 2013 Ford Edge on Saturday, and I want to tow it 4 wheels down. This weighs 5200 Lbs versus the 2800 Lbs Smart I've been towing with our 2002 Monaco Windsor (350 Cummins).
Can anyone who has been towing a Ford Edge, advise what tow bar and brake system they have been using? Why did they pick it, approx. cost, and would they purchase again?
Would appreciate all advice, as I plan to shop at the Tampa RV super show in January.
Control Alt Delete -
Any Ford Edge owners have an answer for KC?

KC - I apologize for getting dragged into Snerds web. You deserve an answer to your question - not a debate or confusing rambling. You know that you want to have brakes and I commend you for that.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:52 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
I was paraphrasing for simplicity's sake.

The full text is:
Braking System: Towing Vehicles
26458. (a) The braking system on every motor vehicle used to tow another vehicle shall be so arranged that one control on the towing vehicle shall, when applied, operate all the service brakes on the power unit and combination of vehicles when either or both of the following conditions exist:
(1) The towing vehicle is required to be equipped with power brakes.
(2) The towed vehicle is required to be equipped with brakes and is equipped with power brakes.
(b) Subdivision (a) shall not be construed to prohibit motor vehicles from being equipped with an additional control to be used to operate the brakes on the trailer or trailers.
(c) Subdivision (a) does not apply to any of the following combinations of vehicles, if the combination of vehicles meets the stopping distance requirements of Section 26454:
(4) Trailers equipped with inertially controlled brakes which are designed to be applied automatically upon breakaway from the towing vehicle and which are capable of stopping and holding the trailer stationary for not less than 15 minutes.

Which part of this are you interpreting differently from me?

I also wish to avoid the compensation claims but I am talking about LEGAL requirements. If I am within the law, my insurance will cover any claims.

My car will stop in a MUCH shorter distance than my motor home. That doesn't mean I'm gonna stop driving my motor home.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:59 AM   #80

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
^^ is it a Ford Edge?
Old 12-31-2013, 11:32 AM   #81

Quote:
My car will stop in a MUCH shorter distance than my motor home. That doesn't mean I'm gonna stop driving my motor home.
True.

Because of aux braking, my MH and toad TOGETHER stop in 30% shorter distance.

I can live with that.
One person is still alive because of that. I was able to stop THAT much shorter for that person.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
Old 12-31-2013, 11:33 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
^^ is it a Ford Edge?
No. I nearly bought an Edge but the Equinox suited me better.

My advice to the OP as it relates to my Equinox:

I bought the Blue Ox baseplate for no particular reason than they are highly recommended and I have the Blue Ox TruCenter steering stabilizer so am more familiar with that company than the others. Cost about $380. Took me a whole day to install due to some fit issues with my Equinox (irrelevant to the Edge).

I bought the Blue Ox Aventa II tow bar as a factory re-manufactured unit which saved about $250 over the Aventa LX new and comes with 1 year Blue Ox warranty. It is rated for 10,000lbs so plenty of spare capacity should I change my toad in the future. Cost $400.00.

I favor the Air Force One brake system as it is a fully proportional system and only applies the brakes in the toad when you stomp on the MH brakes. It's not affected by steep hills or the exhaust brake. It is very easy to hook up but more difficult to install than a sit-on-the-floor type. Cost is around $1,200 plus $500-$600 for professional installation. If you are confident about cutting into the air systems of both coach and car, it could be a DIY job.

The M&G system is similar and looks easier to install.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:10 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
KC - I apologize for getting dragged into Snerds web. You deserve an answer to your question - not a debate or confusing rambling.
The most insulting statement so far w/in this thread...

This isn't MY 'web' nor have I hijacked anything here. I was amongst the first to actually reply to the original query as to opinions for towbars, baseplates, etc. In fact, fully half of the replies to the post had nothing to do w/what KCSAILS originally posted before I posted.

You yourself haven't offered anything to this discussion save for attacking me, yet you want to accuse ME of hijacking this thread???

I posted a fully 300 word reply to Mr. Sails directly answering his question and outlining the system I purchased and my logic for doing so. I offered 8 words - EIGHT - concerning braking systems.

80+ posts later, we've seen little more than personal attacks, thinly veiled threats, baseless opinion, and misinformation....and now you can count yourself amongst the offenders.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:13 PM   #84

A quick question for OP KCSAILS. Have you received sufficient information to make you decisions on towing and braking?? Curious as to what direction you're going.
Closed Thread

Tags
advice, towing