Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2022, 06:13 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We tow with an EZE-Tow Dolly . It has great brakes , weighs 400 pounds and was reasonably priced .
Very easy to hook up and load , I can tow just about anything I want .
Thought about flat towing but in light of the recent accident threads posted here as well a personal experience investigating a couple of those accidents it is not for me .
Seems to me a dolly is a much more safe and secure way to tow , not to mention cheaper .
Just my opinion and your mileage may vary .
petewolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2022, 05:56 AM   #16

I use the Demco Kar Kaddy X to tow our 2016 Kia Soul. The dolly is high quality and has a disc surge brake system. It is more expensive than many but it is built well and we're very happy with it. Happy travels!
Old 09-01-2022, 05:58 PM   #17

Demco Kar Kaddy SS Tow Dolly.

Plus, their support is excellent. Had some road debris damage one of the tire tie down winches on a recent trip. E-mailed the Demco region rep at 0730. Had a reply in 20 minutes with a reference to a dealer a reasonable 40 miles away. Called them and they had a new winch in stock. I had the winch replaced and was washing my hands by 1100!
jaydee325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 06:13 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney2 View Post
Ok- I need some sage words of wisdom...

Looking to tow my 2019 Kia Soul, 6SP Manual, via a tow dolly.
First time having a toad for my 32 foot 2019 Coachmen Freelander class C w/ 5K towing capability.

There are a lot of makes/models of dollies out there and was wondering if folks would weigh in with some advice as to experiences with them so I can separate the wheat from the chaff.
Was contemplating going for flat tow option, but have read more than a few horror stories of damage(s) to TOADS and/or RV. Maybe I am being too cautious in ruling out flat tow?

Thanks in advance for your help.-Jerry

https://www.google.com/search?q=rv+c...t:hg&oshop=apv
If budget allows caster steering is nice feature.
speedway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 06:09 PM   #19

Eze-Tow Pro and Con

Love my used EZE-Tow for handling, ease of use and upright storage position. However, I need to replace only the passenger side disc/hub/caliper assembly and find it very difficult to find an 8” brake assembly for my 10” wheels. Appears that only the manufacturer has a proprietary product and can’t find a third party supplier for a reasonable cost. The manufacturer has offered me a deal for a single assembly for only $500, list is over $800 on website.

When considering a tow dolly, consider wheel and brake sizes if you plan on keeping it a while.

FYI- need to replace due to metal on metal (brake pad failure).
adamstee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 01:09 AM   #20

You guys that have a tow dolly do you carry a spare tire with it, I don't but I'm thinking about getting one, maybe not today before our next trip but one day soon?
KingKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 04:21 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKid View Post
You guys that have a tow dolly do you carry a spare tire with it, I don't but I'm thinking about getting one, maybe not today before our next trip but one day soon?
We did, and we used it once.
Old 09-07-2022, 04:34 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotttkd View Post
Depends on if your current car can be flat towed (usually can be found in the owners manual), but if your planning on using the car often while traveling with the RV then flat tow is the way to go. A lot easier to hook and unhook as needed. If you are just towing the vehicle from point a to point b, then a dolly would be a viable option. My opinion from previous towing experience....had a dolly, got rid of it and set up one of our cars to flat tow. opinions will be varied here, as pluses and minuses to each. As far as dollys, there are many threads on the best/worse/most recommended on this forum to study up on.

Screen shot from 2022 FMCA tow guide. Note the notes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-09-07 063239.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	375706  
MevetS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 05:46 AM   #23

Quote:
I don't but it's a standard 14 inch ST trailer tire available at Walmart, Tractor Supply, .....

I'll take the toad off and go get one.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 03:20 PM   #24

Quote:
I carry 2. Had a flat last year and used the spare but then I didn’t have a spare for remainder of the trip. So, this year I have two, hopefully won’t need either one!
speedway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 03:35 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterRVs2 View Post
I went through a similar search about 18 months ago and settled on the cartowdolly.com unit. I wrote a verbose post about my thoughts on it in this post: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/cart...ce-590420.html

It’s the lightest and easiest to store I found, and it tows well.

Thank you! Thinking of getting a dolly and this one is exactly what I am looking for. Appreciate you posting!
Old 09-07-2022, 03:38 PM   #26

I have a Master Tow, tracks beautifully
dblong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 03:40 PM   #27

Absolutely, mounts on the tongue of the dolly
dblong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 04:38 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblong View Post
Absolutely, mounts on the tongue of the dolly
Mounting kit on Mastertow's website

Jack and wheel from Northern Tool