Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2014, 09:12 PM   #1

Need help

I have a 2011 Chevy 1500 and got the Hopkins towed vehicle wiring kit so we can tow it behind our Dp. Installed it checked it NO LIGHTS. Does anyone have any suggestions?
waterdoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2014, 09:41 PM   #2

If you haven't already tested the , trailer plug in on the motor home with a test light , please do so.
Many times the wiring to the trailer plug in is fused separately from the lights on the coach.
By no lights you mean , no running , no turn signals, and no brake lights.
If the tow vehicle wiring kit grounds through the coach trailer plug , you need to check that wire's connection to the coach frame. Because that ground is the only thing all the toad lights have in common.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:07 PM   #3

I pluged in to my truck in to my Tahoe to test it and nothing no lights at all.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:58 AM   #4

You tested, on both your MH, and your Tahoe ?
Did the wiring kit, install have diodes that had to be wired in ?
Have a ground wire , that had to be hooked up to the vehicle frame/battery?
Old 03-14-2014, 10:19 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterdoc1 View Post
I pluged in to my truck in to my Tahoe to test it and nothing no lights at all.

With WHAT did you plug into each? Do you have a multimeter or 12v test light? You need to make sure that the mh plug has all the correct voltages present when selected. If they are there, then you need to check the end of the umbilical cable for the same voltages. If they are there, then grab a #12 or #14 wire and connect it from the frame (or something bolted to the frame) of the mh and then the other end to the frame (or something bolted to the frame) of the Tahoe.....this is to insure there is a good ground.

Check the lights on the Tahoe....if no lights, then:

Pull a light bulb on the Tahoe and check to see if there is 12v present and if not, see if there is a good ground continuity from the bulb socket to the ground of the Tahoe.

I bet you just have a ground problem.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:19 PM   #6

I bought the Hopkins kit part # 56101 for my Silverado installed and found out there not a good kit. So I bought so diodes an wire and did it the old school way and every thing works great. Thanks for all the info.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterdoc1 View Post
I bought the Hopkins kit part # 56101 for my Silverado installed and found out there not a good kit. So I bought so diodes an wire and did it the old school way and every thing works great. Thanks for all the info.
waterdoc1,
So, based on this last statement, even though hard to read, are we to assume that you wired your Chevy 1500 in such a manor that, uses the stock tail light bulbs as toad lights, correct? If so, I'm assuming also that, you placed the diodes in the stock wiring, "in front" of the connection where you tied into, correct?

You see, I've been using the stock tail lights as toad lights in at least 11 different toads we've had over the years. That way of doing it, has always worked flawless for me. I've not had one electrical problem with any one of those 11 vehicles.

We are presently towing a 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Extra Cab 4x4. It tows just fine, even with a 300 lb. motorcycle lift/carrier in the back, holding a 2008 Honda GL 1800 Goldwing, that tips the scale at 900 lbs.
Scott

Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
need help