Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2019, 06:59 PM   #1

Need help checking if my toad charge line is working

My toad was dead today after a long drive.

How can I check and make sure the charge line from the coach to the car is working?
RMD3819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2019, 07:13 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Start up the coach, check the voltage on the toad. It should be 14.0 volts plus. If it isn't then something isn't hooked up right. It should be the same voltage as the coach when it is running, maybe a little lower by .1 or .2 but close to the coach voltage which is getting it charge for the alternator.
RBeau1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 07:38 PM   #3

Buy one of these. https://www.amazon.com/INNOVA-3721-B...6M9YSPWH0ZBPNW When hooked up with the coach running you should see voltage higher than resting voltage (toad off) as long as your connections OK. I've been using the first one for over 10 years. I leave it plugged in all the time and can see it when I do my periodic walk-arounds when on the road.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 01:29 PM   #4

The toad battery is 12.47 with the coach running and toad engine off.

The inline fuse on the charge line is good. I also disconnected the charge line and it made no difference in the voltage.

I could find no fuses on the coach side that related to this.
Old 11-07-2019, 01:47 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
With that voltage you are definitely not getting 12v from the coach to the toad. Check the pins on the coach's 7 pin trailer connection to see if you have 12v there with the ignition on. If not, look for the trailer fuses/relays in the passenger side rear compartment near the batteries. If you have voltage at the connector, then you have an umbilical cord issue.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 01:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
With that voltage you are definitely not getting 12v from the coach to the toad. Check the pins on the coach's 7 pin trailer connection to see if you have 12v there with the ignition on. If not, look for the trailer fuses/relays in the passenger side rear compartment near the batteries. If you have voltage at the connector, then you have an umbilical cord issue.
With the coach running I should touch the black probe to a ground and then one by one touch the red probe to each terminal, correct?
Old 11-07-2019, 02:16 PM   #7

Check the cover on your RV 7 pin plug. Many times the pin assignments are molded into the cover. If not your +12V pin should be the one at the 2:30 position. The 12V ground pin is directly across the plug at the 7:30 position. Put your meter probes on these 2 pins to check power. Then, if you have charge power at that position with the coach engine running, go to the end of your coach/toad line and check corresponding pins. Also check the pins and matching receptacles very closely for any rough surfaces and corrosion. It doesn't take much to cause a bad connection, especially on a charge line as it carries more current than the lights and signal wires. If you see some corrosion, you can use a small file to brighten up the contacts.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 06:59 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Check out this article

https://www.etrailer.com/question-31721.html

or get one of these

https://www.homedepot.com/p/CURT-7-W...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Ron
rmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 08:02 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I installed a small side marker light next to a wiper blade. Can see it in the rear camera monitor.
Then I know the lights and charge line are working.

Tags
need help, toad