RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-20-2020, 01:36 PM   #1

Need help concerning Jeep Cherokee as a toad

I have a 2017 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk that I want to flat tow. The owners manual says 2017 model need a Mopar flat tow wiring kit. Does anyone know what function this wiring kit is for? Do I also need a braking system also? Well, as long as I am asking, is there anything else I will need? I am already planning on the Blue Ox system being installed on the RV and Jeep. Thanks in advance for your advise.
Road Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2020, 07:44 PM   #2

I have a 2019 jeep cherokee overland we flat tow. IIRC the electronic steering on the cherokee would cause it to sway back and forth while towing. I don't think it happened to all of them but obviously enough for Chrysler to come out with the kit to stop it. I believe a positive charge line was required to keep the battery in the Jeep charged up.

I would recommend a brake system. All states require them over a certain weight. Pretty sure the cherokee is over the weight threshold of all states. Better safe than sorry when towing 4000+ pound's.

Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 07:54 PM   #3

We flat tow a 2019 Cherokee. 2019 was the first year the tow kit for steering was factory installed. I also had to run a charge line to the toad. If you don’t and the car battery goes dead you could get the death wobble. All prior years need the kit and charge line installed.
Jthigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 07:55 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Exclamation

The problem with some of the Cherokees is a swaying which is usually referred to as a death wobble. The harness is supposed to stop this from occurring. The supplemental braking system for the toad will be mandatory in most states. They do assist in overall braking distance.
Old 11-20-2020, 08:00 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What RV are you going to be pulling it with?
Measure Twice, Cut Once
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 08:08 PM   #6

I installed the Blue Ox baseplate and taillight wiring on my 2019 in my driveway. If you are good with a wrench you shouldnít have any trouble. The hardest part was removing the front facia. Takes a little bit of careful persuasion so as not to bend or scratch anything.

We also use the Blue Ox Patriot portable system. Mainly because when we got it a few years back we knew we would be changing toads. Now I can tow either of our vehicles.
Old 11-21-2020, 10:13 AM   #7

Arch

I will be towing the Jeep with a Newmar Bay Star 3414. Assembly started on it yesterday.
Thanks everyone for your help!
Old 11-21-2020, 11:33 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Newmar Bay Star 3414 appears to be a gas engine. How much does your Jeep weigh?
Measure Twice, Cut Once
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 01:32 PM   #9

Arch

Jeep weighs #4000. Bay Star should pull up to #5000 with the new v-8 engine.
Old 11-21-2020, 04:12 PM   #10

I've read the Jeep manual for our 2020 Cherokee a few times but a bit puzzled about if the key fob should be left in vehicle while towing and accessory switch on.

That is should the radio be playing while in Toad mode?

I did a test ride today if about 10 miles with the Jeep key fob in my pocket. Nothing catastrophic happened that I know of.

The Jeep does have a charge line from the Phaeton so battery run down should not be an issue.
Old 11-22-2020, 07:38 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenZ71 View Post
I've read the Jeep manual for our 2020 Cherokee a few times but a bit puzzled about if the key fob should be left in vehicle while towing and accessory switch on.

That is should the radio be playing while in Toad mode?

I did a test ride today if about 10 miles with the Jeep key fob in my pocket. Nothing catastrophic happened that I know of.

The Jeep does have a charge line from the Phaeton so battery run down should not be an issue.
No, you donít need to leave the 2020 Cherokee in ACC mode when towing. Once you have the transfer case in neutral, place the transmission in park and switch off the ignition. The only tricky part is the automatic parking brake likes to set itself. Itís apparently some kind of overly clever anti-rollaway feature. The trick is to have the drivers door closed while going through the process of switching to neutral. Also if you follow the setup instructions in the manual, you will get a nasty grind when switching the transmission form drive to park (after starting the engine to verify the transfer case is indeed in neutral). Solution here is to switch the trans to neutral, shut off the engine, and then to Park. I flat tow a 2020 Cherokee Limited. About 10k miles and no problems.
Shadow5501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 07:26 PM   #12

I tow a Grand Cherokee flat.... I had to install diodes in the rear of the Jeep to get the right lights to come on at the right time and not blow fuses in the fuse box...

My Class A send back a separate left turn, right turn, tail, and brake light signal and the computer on the Jeep that controls the rear lights didn't like power to those lights from another source... but the one way diodes from Amazon ($10) easily took care of that problem....

I'm guessing the fancy wiring harness from Jeep has those diodes installed...
Old 11-22-2020, 07:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5501 View Post
No, you donít need to leave the 2020 Cherokee in ACC mode when towing. Once you have the transfer case in neutral, place the transmission in park and switch off the ignition. The only tricky part is the automatic parking brake likes to set itself. Itís apparently some kind of overly clever anti-rollaway feature. The trick is to have the drivers door closed while going through the process of switching to neutral. Also if you follow the setup instructions in the manual, you will get a nasty grind when switching the transmission form drive to park (after starting the engine to verify the transfer case is indeed in neutral). Solution here is to switch the trans to neutral, shut off the engine, and then to Park. I flat tow a 2020 Cherokee Limited. About 10k miles and no problems.
Yup, had that horrible gear grind once. Will use Neutral on the gear shift.
Old 11-22-2020, 08:02 PM   #14

As for the parking brake, I believe the manual states that you need to make sure to turn off automatic park brake setting in the setup menu.

Tags
cherokee, jeep, need help, toad