Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2007, 06:05 AM   #1

I have been researching this for a few weeks now. And have to get something soon!

Here is what I have found out so far, please correct me if I am wrong.

The Dodge Dakota, Mazda B Series and Ford Ranger (2004 or later with neutral tow kit) are all OK to be towed 4 down...even with automatic transmissions.

I believe the Nissan Frontier also falls into that category. Can anyone confirm?

The Toyota (which I would prefer) requires a Remco disconnect.

So, before I pull the trigger on a Nissan (or perhaps the Mazda), I wanted to see what you all had to say.

Thanks!
Craig

P.S. the reason for the pickup is to haul an ATV in the back....

Full-Timer
craigt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2007, 06:05 AM   #2

I have been researching this for a few weeks now. And have to get something soon!

Here is what I have found out so far, please correct me if I am wrong.

The Dodge Dakota, Mazda B Series and Ford Ranger (2004 or later with neutral tow kit) are all OK to be towed 4 down...even with automatic transmissions.

I believe the Nissan Frontier also falls into that category. Can anyone confirm?

The Toyota (which I would prefer) requires a Remco disconnect.

So, before I pull the trigger on a Nissan (or perhaps the Mazda), I wanted to see what you all had to say.

Thanks!
Craig

P.S. the reason for the pickup is to haul an ATV in the back....

Full-Timer
Old 08-13-2007, 06:46 AM   #3

Jayco Owners Club
Motorhome Dingy towing guides

The Chevrolet Colorado is also towable as per guide above.

I think the Dakota has a slightly larger box than the others. Might make loading ATV easier.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 03:51 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
craigt,

Only the manual transmission Nissan Frontier is towable 4 down without modification according to MH magazine and the Frontier owner's manual.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 07:49 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
I tow an 04 Toyota Tundra Doublecab 4x4. I looked at Nissan, Dakota, Colorado and Ranger. The Toyota won hands down even with the need for the disconnect. Even though it approaches 5Klbs, I towed it with my 460 gas and now my Cummins ISC. Both MH's handle it fine, even in the hills of Southern Oregon. The new Tundra grew a bit to much for my taste, advertised at 5500lbs. If I was doing it today, I would go with the Tacoma doublecab long bed.
Submustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 03:15 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I tow a GMC (Chevy) Sierra 4x4 with auto transmission. It is appproved to tow 4 down with no modifications. Just put the transfer case in neutral. It's a little heavier (5200 lbs)than the ones you mentioned but it's nice having a full sized pickup. I never know it's back there. I installed the baseplate myself (if you want to call it a baseplate), essentially your just replacing the front tow hooks.
Old 08-15-2007, 04:39 AM   #7

Jayco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Howard Leap:
I tow a GMC (Chevy) Sierra 4x4 with auto transmission. It is appproved to tow 4 down with no modifications. Just put the transfer case in neutral. It's a little heavier (5200 lbs)than the ones you mentioned but it's nice having a full sized pickup. I never know it's back there. I installed the baseplate myself (if you want to call it a baseplate), essentially your just replacing the front tow hooks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Howard, thanks for posting this. I didn't realize the Chevy/GMC pickup was so easy to convert to a tow vehicle.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 06:11 AM   #8

Great input. I do like the idea of being able to tow 4 down without the disconnect device. But, like Submustang said, the Toyota is tough to beat. I may have to go that route.

Bob: I hear what you are saying and I have read that Motorhome Magazine file on the internet. But, I have also heard from several owners who are pulling the 4x4 Nissan 4 down. They have said theirs has a neutral position on the transfer case and this works fine. Hummmm.....

I am trying to keep it as light as possible, but also like the larger box and cab of some of the models. A 4 door would be great, as long as the bed is big enough for my toy!

Full-Timer
Old 08-15-2007, 03:34 PM   #9

Any Ford 4x4 with a manual transfer case can be towed with the transfer case in neutral. Only selected models with electronic transfer cases can have neutral tow installed by the dealer for towing.
rclarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 05:49 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rclarke:
Any Ford 4x4 with a manual transfer case can be towed with the transfer case in neutral. Only selected models with electronic transfer cases can have neutral tow installed by the dealer for towing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's true. My 07 Ranger 4 door, 4X4 auto w/electronic shift on the fly only required the status light and a computer reprogram.

Sold: 2007 Holiday Rambler Ambassador 40' diesel Motor Coach
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote