RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-05-2019, 09:34 AM   #1

Need help with Tandem Tow Dolly Manual

I purchased a Tandem Tow Dolly. I need some information about adjusting to balance the load. This is said to be easy and that there is a manual on the web site. I find no manual on the site. They do not answer the phone and e-mails have not been responded to.

Someone said the company changed hands, but I called that company and they don't deal with trailers any longer.

Can anyone PLEASE help me with a manual or instructions on how to calculate the adjustment/placement of the front wheels platform on the dolly?

Also, kind of related, what is the best procedure to determine the actual loaded tongue weight?

Help is GREATLY appreciated!
jlwentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2019, 03:33 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've usually been able to find owners manuals for pretty much anything by entering the item's model number and "owners manual" into google... for instance: I have a DirecTV H44 receiver - to find a manual for it I type in "h44 owners manual" into google and several options come up almost immediately!
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 03:45 PM   #3

LMGTFY

First link (PDF) last paragraph.
tfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 06:30 PM   #4

Just checking the tandem tow you have is the same as mine. Can yours carry both the vehicle and a golf cart or motorcycle? If so to adjust you have to loosen the large center bolt where the car tires rest and pivots on. There are holes up and down the frame that you can push the assembly forward or back to adjust the load. I set mine up so the vehicle tires are directly inline with the tow dolly tires. These have a 5000lb axle rating. I let the golf cart weight just sit half on tow dolly and half on hitch.
Ssowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 06:25 AM   #5

Thank you for responses received so far. You tried! I never would have thought to look for the manual on the internet. Unfortunately doing so does not get what I need. I believe I searched with about every combination of wording I can think of. I'm not sure that it is even the manual that I need.

Yes, my older (I believe that before the solid platform they had 3 rails) but unused tandem tow dolly has a place for either a motorcycle or a 4 wheeled vehicle in front of the towed auto.

Thanks to the person who told me to move the bolt to the various holes. We are heading in the right direction. I got that part. The idea behind being able to do so is adjusting the load between the towed auto and the bike or cart so that the tongue weight is appropriate for the vehicle that is doing the towing. Supposedly there was a formula / chart for these tandem tow dollies that shows what hole to use based upon the weight of the towed auto and the motorcycle (in this case) to achieve the desired tongue weight. I can not locate that information anywhere and that is what I'm looking for.

I believe from some basic math that if you put the platform for the weight of the front wheels of the towed auto in line with the axle of the dolly, this should put a majority of the weight for the motorcycle on the tongue of the dolly. This might make the tongue weight over the limit and stress the frame of the RV. This is why you move the platform rearward to balance the load and decrease tongue weight. If I can't find the manual, I would guess trial and error at a scale would eventually get me there.

I thought someone on this forum might have knowledge, chart, or a manual. Thanks to anyone who has or can help me out!
jlwentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 07:16 AM   #6

Is Tandem Tow Dolly the company name? Did you call this number?

RV towing equipment | Tow your vehicle & ATV or Motorcycle behind your RV!
jondrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 07:27 AM   #7

I purchased mine used also so I never got a manual or heard about a chart. I didnít even notice the trailer and golf cart on my class A when I had no vehicle on there. A golf cart weighs less than 800lbs so evenly divided would put 400lbs on the tongue. Class IV hitches are rated at 1200lbs and class V are rated at 2000lbs tongue weight so should be no problem for hitch. I also think that the different hole positions allow you to maximize the cargo space based on type of vehicle being towed(overhang from tires to front bumper which can hit the dolly fenders if not adjusted correctly) and the width of the cart or motorcycles up front. In my case I had to adjust everything back to allow car fender to miss the dolly fenders when turning. One added benefit since you donít need a license tag(Florida) I use mine as a regular trailer and have figured out how to get 2 Atvís on it at the same time. Saves a couple of bucks in yearly registration fees.
Old 03-06-2019, 07:29 AM   #8

https://www.tandem-tow.com/documents...delinesttd.pdf

Looks like the company is still around. I have the HDXL.
Old 03-06-2019, 08:15 AM   #9

You can calculate the change in tongue weight using this poor excuse for a diagram (car looks like a US Mail truck). As long as you know the front axle weight of the car ("FA"), and the total weight of the golf cart or motorcycle ("FB"), of course. If there are two motorcycles, add an "FC" and distance to that CG "C".

If the car's front wheels are behind the dolly wheels, the value of "A" is negative, and therefore FA x A subtracts from FB x B. If the car is far enough back, it will balance the golf cart, like a see-saw, and not change the empty tongue weight, by way of illustration. You can also see (and calculate, if you like) that the golf cart alone will add a lot of tongue load, until the car is loaded to reduce it. Or not, depending on where you put the car, and what you need for a total tongue load.

It will be only an approximation, as the FA value when tilted is not going to be exactly the same as when on flat ground, but it should get you pretty close to what you're looking for so you don't have to use too many trials (and errors).

You can measure the tongue load of the empty dolly using a bathroom scale and length of 2x4 cut to the right length to match the hitch ball height of your coach (chock the wheels). Put the 2x4 right at the hitch socket, not further back. The calculated tongue load is the change you get when loaded, so add that to the empty tongue load.

You may need a bit of Archimedes and a floor jack to scale the loaded tongue, though, since it may be too heavy.

Edit: Based on the 200 lb tongue load from the link in the post above, Archimedes won't be needed - just a 2x4 and a bathroom scale.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dolly.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	236982  
KanzKran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 08:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwentworth View Post
I purchased a Tandem Tow Dolly. I need some information about adjusting to balance the load. This is said to be easy and that there is a manual on the web site. I find no manual on the site. They do not answer the phone and e-mails have not been responded to.

Someone said the company changed hands, but I called that company and they don't deal with trailers any longer.

Can anyone PLEASE help me with a manual or instructions on how to calculate the adjustment/placement of the front wheels platform on the dolly?

Also, kind of related, what is the best procedure to determine the actual loaded tongue weight?

There is a dealer by Daytona Beach Florida
That use to sell them
gramps66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 08:55 AM   #11

I had the HDXL with a 10' platform. I carried a Goldwing Trike and escapade trailer on the platform with the front of a four door Jeep on the dolly. Two things I discovered. The chart was helpful, but not entirely accurate. After a few trips to the scales, I had the balance I wanted. I also found that although the tires were rated for the load they were carrying, they heated up more than I was comfortable with. I replaced them with a higher rated tire and they ran at a nice warm temp. I sold it many years ago and have since purchased a ball hitch that has a scale built into it which takes the guessing out of getting the correct balance. It will weigh up to 1500# of tongue weight.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 09:09 AM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I would like to get one of those trailers but my MH us 45' and would be overlength in some areas. Has anyone that has one had problems with the law and overlength
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 09:46 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I would like to get one of those trailers but my MH us 45' and would be overlength in some areas. Has anyone that has one had problems with the law and overlength
I have towed an 26' enclosed trailer from WI to the western states including CA. My overall length was 73'. In CA, I purchased a $16 motorsports permit good for seven days that can be renewed. I did not have a problem in any of the states west of WI and IL. Texas, WA, and OR are the only states I have not towed a trailer in. My son does the same with his Newell and is 76' long weighing a combined 73,000#. For some reason, LEO seem to ignore overlength RV's as long as no other laws are violated. Not saying that won't, but I haven't seen or heard of it. I once met three rigs from the east coast , one of which was 80' long. They traveled from NJ to CA with Drag Racers and CA was the only state they purchased the motorsports permit.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 08:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwentworth View Post

I just bought a used 2008 Tandem Tow Dolly and lm looking for Manuel also and maybe some educated advise. I’m looking to raise the wind block to 55” or something like that to guard a Harley I’m towing. I will also be towing a Mini Cooper Clubman, any suggestions?
Cobra1025 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly, manual, need help, tow, tow dolly