Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2019, 01:44 AM   #1

Need help with trailer brake wiring

So i have a 2001 American Tradition. It has a 7 pin trailer plug. I have checked the plug and it is wired correctly and all lights work correctly. The pin that should be the trailer brake has no juice to it at all. I am not even sure at this point if there is a wire connected to that position in the plug. Will pull it apart tomorrow to see.

Now here is where the problem/confusing comes in. There is no trailer brake controller box already installed in the RV. While looking at the wires that run from the 7 pin plug, there is a little aluminum gold box (for a lack of a better word) wired in. Here is the break down of this box. Wires coming from the RV toward the plug: Yellow - SP048C LFT TRN RR
Green - SP047C RT TRN RR
Red - SP076B STPLT FRM RLY
Wires coming out of box headed toward 7 pin plug:
Yellow - SP048C LFT TRN RR
Green - SP047C RT TRN RR
There is also a black wire from the box that is grounded to the frame a few inches away.

Then there are 5 wires from RV headed to 7 pin connector that bypass the little gold box. Red/Pink - SP015D B/U LGT FRM RLY
Beige - 001 K Valve (not connected to anything)
Brown - SP065F MKR LT SWD
Black - Unlabeled (larger wire than others)
White - Unlabeled (larger wire than others)

All the wires mentioned are all inside the same wire loom.

So, what is the little gold box? Its small, about inches long and 2 inched wide and about 1 inch in depth. Why is it spliced into the wires and what on earth for? Why 3 wires going into box, but only 2 coming out? There is absolutely no writing or markings on the box at all.

My goal is to hook up a Prodigy P3 to work the electric trailer brakes while towing. Is there a power wire already wired in that I can use for the trailer brake wire or do I need to run a separate blue trailer brake wire? It appears that only 6 wires are connected to the 7 pin, will confirm tomorrow.

Any help or insight into this will be greatly appreciated.
JW
jwhitehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2019, 07:24 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
The box is a converter to change the separate turn signals and brake lights on the motor home to combined brake/turn lights on the towed trailer or vehicle. The three wires in are Left Turn, Right Turn and Stoplight. The two wires out are for the left and right lights on the trailer/towed vehicle. As for no voltage on the brake pin, you won't have any until a brake controller is installed. It is what sends voltage to the brakes on the trailer and you may not see any voltage on that lead until a load is put on it. I found that out with our Itasca. There was no voltage on the brake wire until a test light was clipped on it, then it had voltage.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 07:29 AM   #3

You must have a brake controller !!!!!
scrapperjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 07:40 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapperjohn View Post
You must have a brake controller !!!!!
What he means is you must add a brake controller.
Lynn

Tags
brake, need help, trailer, wiring