Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2022, 12:36 PM   #1

Need Patriot 2 Breakaway Switch Plug

I just bought a used Patriot 2 brake system. It didn't come with the wire that connects to the breakaway switch and then plugs into the Patriot box. I have a breakaway switch already installed on our Explorer so all I need is the plug end that goes into the Patriot (we had a Brake Buddy so it has a different plug). The hole looks like a headphone jack. I tried a headphone plug and it fits. Does anyone know if a headphone plug would work?

It looks like the only way to get the actual cord is to buy the entire breakaway switch. It's only $80 but I would just as soon save the $80 if I can use something I already have.

TIA
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2022, 08:43 PM   #2

I have a Patriot, not Patriot 2 but it uses a stereo headphone jack the same as my headphones on the computer etc. I am not sure off the top of my head which wire connects to which, but I can put a meter to it tomorrow if you need the info. Too dark out there tonight to play with it.
sandwip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 06:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwip View Post
I have a Patriot, not Patriot 2 but it uses a stereo headphone jack the same as my headphones on the computer etc. I am not sure off the top of my head which wire connects to which, but I can put a meter to it tomorrow if you need the info. Too dark out there tonight to play with it.
That would be wonderful. I have a new headphone plug coming tomorrow. I am guessing it is a three connector plug (two black rubber rings)? I was going to attempt to figure it out with a meter and trial and error.

Thank you!
Old 10-01-2022, 11:21 AM   #4

On my plug, the power comes out from the end point and returns from middle ring with the switch completing the circuit. Actually, both middle and ring on the cord end are common on mine so either would work I suppose, but mine isn't the original, the plug has been spliced to the switch cord, and believe me not by an electronic expert. I will be redoing the splice myself due to my switch being faulty. It has not been used for some time and is likely full of corrosion. I will be replacing it today.
Old 10-01-2022, 01:07 PM   #5

Quote:
On my plug, the power comes out from the end point and returns from middle ring with the switch completing the circuit. Actually, both middle and ring on the cord end are common on mine so either would work I suppose, but mine isn't the original, the plug has been spliced to the switch cord, and believe me not by an electronic expert. I will be redoing the splice myself due to my switch being faulty. It has not been used for some time and is likely full of corrosion. I will be replacing it today.
Thank you! I will be looking at this later today.
Old 10-06-2022, 06:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Hi sandwig, would it be possible for you to take a pic of your plug if you have time? Or, could you tell me how many black insulator rings are on the plug? Two or three? I tried every combo with the plug I bought but nothing worked.
Old 10-07-2022, 07:57 AM   #7

If you have a headphone set for a computer or other use with the mini plug, that is the one. I have several here, there are 3 sections to the plug, two black rings. The very tip is one leg, and the next two section are common on mine. You could try making them common on yours and see if that helps. All it seems to do is complete the circuit when the pin is pulled. Have you tried the breakaway switch itself to see if you have continuity with the plug pulled? That is the mode mine failed in, no contact with the plug pulled. When the plug is inserted, it is an open circuit.
https://www.primecables.ca/p-374750-..._wcB#sku388985
Old 10-07-2022, 06:52 PM   #8

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, first thing I did was check continuity on the switch. Works as it should.

I think the plug I bought was too cheap and it broke. I ordered a better one and will try again.

Thanks again for your help!

Tags
switch