Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2021, 04:46 PM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Personally I do not like surge brake! When you decent mountains and your exhaust brake or jake brake is doing its job holding you back what is going to happen to your surge brake on your tow dolly? Burn the brakes up?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2021, 05:30 PM   #16

FireDog53
How does your Kar Kaddy tow empty. I got one and it likes to sway back and forth when empty. It appears it has movement in the hinge on the hitch. I managed to pick one up that very little use for $500 otherwise I wouldn't have it.
Old 01-17-2021, 05:34 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damion View Post
Personally I do not like surge brake! When you decent mountains and your exhaust brake or jake brake is doing its job holding you back what is going to happen to your surge brake on your tow dolly? Burn the brakes up?
I can't say for sure but I don't think they will apply much if any unless you make a quick deceleration. Most newer ones won't apply either when you back up. The early ones if you had to back up hard you had to put a pin in the actuator. I am not a fan of them either because I don't think they really do much.
Old 01-17-2021, 06:31 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I also had a larger kaddy ss. I bought it used. It had surge brakes the fold back tongue made it ideal for storage at home and campsite. I ended selling it for what I paid when I went to 4 down towing.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 12:12 PM   #19

You guys brought up something earlier I’d not thought of. How well does the tow dolly tow without a vehicle on it? I can certainly see times when the tow dolly would be empty while underway. If the dolly doesn’t track well empty it’s not only bad for the tires but very disconcerting for those behind the motorhome.

Can something be done about the movement of a dolly you bought? And how would you know those that wobble so you can buy something else? I sure don’t want to spend $4 grand in a Demco dolly to find it has the wobbles. I sometimes get the wobbles but I have pills.
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 12:33 PM   #20

I just towed mine empty from Marathon FL. to Miami. Tracked like the small trailer it is.

3 years ago, I towed it empty for a longer trip. I dropped the air in the tires to 20 PSI to stop the bouncing.

I use the tire straps to keep the swivel plate centered and not shifting around.

As far as surge brakes, I don't have an engine brake but have come down off the Blue Ridge Highway, sometimes in second gear in the steep sections. At the end of the trip I check the wheels for excess heat. They felt normal. My brake pads lasted over 30,000 miles. Cost = $12.00.

As far as not working well, I can't back my empty dolly on grass or dirt, without the tires skidding.

They work great towing and add a lot of braking when its needed. Some may not feel it, behind a 30,000 DP, but you do in an old, overloaded, class C
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 12:45 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I used to tow with a Master Tow with surge brakes. I replaced the safety chains with axle straps. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...b?cm_vc=-10005

I did have a tire strap come off twice and the safety chain/strap kept the car in the dolly pan.

In order to tow the dolly emptied, you should reduce the tire pressure to around 15-20 psi. Otherwise the dolly will bounce all over the place, beating wheel bearings to death.

Master Tow makes two different width dollies (80 inch and, I think, 77 inch). What make and model car are you planning on towing? It will make a difference on which dolly you get.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 04:22 PM   #22
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
Hi guys, I've never towed a vehicle and have now decided to do so and will need a tow dolly.
Do you have an SUV or a truck with a hitch? I used my wife's Honda Pilot to practice putting my car on the dolly. We also towed it around the neighborhood a few times so we could get some practice and check the straps and stuff before we towed it with the motorhome.

Ray
Old 01-18-2021, 05:01 PM   #23

MasterTow recommends reducing tire pressure to 10 psi of towing empty. It has no suspension itself, and towing empty with 50 psi would be a pretty rough ride.

I towed ours home from the dealership -- about 20 miles -- with my pickup and it tracked fine. That was before I read the manual, so there's no telling how much pressure was in the tires.
Old 01-18-2021, 05:08 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by David 70 View Post
FireDog53
How does your Kar Kaddy tow empty. I got one and it likes to sway back and forth when empty. It appears it has movement in the hinge on the hitch. I managed to pick one up that very little use for $500 otherwise I wouldn't have it.
If it's the "SS" model, you did really well on the price...!
Mine seems to tow straight and easy. You may want to confirm you have the correct size/diameter pin in both the hitch hinge and the wheel tray. I don't know if they're the same size but imagine either the paper or on-line owners manual could tell.
The only other place for the wiggles to start might be the correct ball size and hitch coupler connection and maybe tire pressure and wheel tightness... Good luck...!

NOTE: it just occurred to me that if this dolly was overloaded or maybe twisted somehow it could also lead to excessive pin/hole wear and allow movement.
Firedog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 05:37 PM   #25

Rockwood27 asked: What make and model car are you planning on towing? It will make a difference on which dolly you get.

Not 100% sure at this point but primarily a mid sized SUV like Hyundai Tucson, Buick Encore etc.
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 01:56 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
Rockwood27 asked: What make and model car are you planning on towing? It will make a difference on which dolly you get.

Not 100% sure at this point but primarily a mid sized SUV like Hyundai Tucson, Buick Encore etc.
Check the manufacturer's specs/data. Some dollys are weight and tire track/body width limited. And there are different sizes available...
Firedog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 08:53 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedog53 View Post
I've got the Kar Kaddy SS. It seemed to check all the boxes I needed; it's all galvanized, has a folding tongue and ramps for shorter storage (33"?), the hitch is a drop-on auto-lock type with a wheeled jack. The wheel bed is steerable when loaded and has a pin lock for empty towing. The wheels are chromed and they tires are rated for the load. It has heavy plastic fenders for no scratch on the towed vehicle and LED lights. It's a little pricey but there are used ones around.

I love my Kat Kaddy SS
Jack962 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towed