Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2021, 04:39 PM   #155

Thanks everyone......just getting all my hookups installed....
Bagelboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2021, 08:20 AM   #156

I’m having camping works do my face plate install on Tuesday. Wish me luck. Definitely going to do a charging system as well.
Tmyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 07:49 PM   #157

For those that are already towing your L models, what are you doing for brake and signal lights, magnetic wireless lights, wired magnetic lights, wire harness tapped into L model wiring harness, or something else?
Old 12-26-2021, 08:35 PM   #158

Entegra Owners Club
Jeep Grand Cherokee L

We are wired into the L’s lights. Braking system is the Air Force One.
Pnewman10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 10:33 PM   #159

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Roy View Post
For those that are already towing your L models, what are you doing for brake and signal lights, magnetic wireless lights, wired magnetic lights, wire harness tapped into L model wiring harness, or something else?
Blue Ox wiring harness & Air Force One braking.
Nascarfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 10:46 PM   #160

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Roy View Post
Not happy with my L model currently. The Blind Spot Monitoring has never worked. It was not working when we took delivery. They said it just needed a simple sensor. That did not fix it nor did the rear wiring harness after they had the vehicle for a month. Now they say it needs a whole body harness which is on back order till the end of January and are not confident that will fix it. Then the day after we picked it up with the blind spot monitoring still not working the drivers side memory seat is acting up. When you recall the memory it reclines back all the way. Also the cornering lights quit working. Then this morning the satellite radio froze up and quit working completely can’t change channels or nothing. We took delivery around August and it has been in the shop for almost 2 out of those 4 months. We have only 2700 miles on it with a bunch of those from driving back and forth to the dealership where we bought it 2.5 hours away. I think I am giving them 1 more chance at it and then ask Jeep for a buy back to put us in a Wrangler Rubicon. We are in the process of buying our first Motorhome so we have not even outfitted this car for flat tow yet and are already having issues. I love the way this car drives and want to love it but that is becoming extremely difficult!!

As to the blind spot monitor issue - Ask them to check and verify the rear bumper harness wasn’t installed backwards. I seriously doubt it needs a body harness.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 11:40 PM   #161

Finished the Blue Ox base plate install and wiring for my GCL this weekend…… i also ran a charge line from the 6 pin. Question: i will be using the Blue Ox 7 to 6 pin umbilical cord that came in this kit https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...x/BX88308.html will that work with the charge line or am i going to have to move a pin or two around. Are any of you running this same umbilical cord from Blue Ox? Thanks for the help.
Keurig_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 05:10 AM   #162

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
As to the blind spot monitor issue - Ask them to check and verify the rear bumper harness wasn’t installed backwards. I seriously doubt it needs a body harness.
jt
They replaced the rear sensor twice and the rear bumper harness once. I pray it is not backwards after all of that. LOL will ask them about it when I bring it back to them though.
T_Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 05:12 AM   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnewman10 View Post
We are wired into the L’s lights. Braking system is the Air Force One.
May I ask what kit you used to wire into the lights?
T_Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 08:51 AM   #164

Summary of GC-L Towing Recommendations

All,
Thank you very much for each of the comments sharing your experiences and insights. Very helpful.
I have AFO and Blue Ox being installed next week. So I wanted to make sure that I understand the specific actions needed to successfully tow my Overland.
So, I went through the Jeep manual and all your postings and created a spreadsheet comparing what Jeep says with your experiences and recommendations.
I have attached that for your review—please correct any errors and add any other insights to that spreadsheet (pdf). And upload it again for anyone who wants to use it. I plan to use as a checklist.
Thank you.
Greg
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Grand Cherokee L Towing Actions.pdf (37.7 KB, 53 views)
glmsrphd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 02:40 PM   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keurig_Dude View Post
Finished the Blue Ox base plate install and wiring for my GCL this weekend…… i also ran a charge line from the 6 pin. Question: i will be using the Blue Ox 7 to 6 pin umbilical cord that came in this kit https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...x/BX88308.html will that work with the charge line or am i going to have to move a pin or two around. Are any of you running this same umbilical cord from Blue Ox? Thanks for the help.
I tested the 7 way connector at the back of the coach this morning for the hot wire and pulled off each end of the Blue Ox umbilical cord to trace it to the 6 pin that goes into the GCL. I did have to move the hot wire into the center pin of the umbilical cord (swapped with the brake controller pin). Should be good to go now. FYI
Keurig_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 11:12 AM   #166

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascarfan View Post
Blue Ox wiring harness & Air Force One braking.
I don't know if still a problem but on my GC with BlueOx wiring kit if you turn on the turn signal and step the brake the turn signal would quite flashing. Call Blue Ox tech support and they all ready knew that was a problem and the tech ask how many times do you step on the brakes at the same time you have the turn signal on. I said every time I make turn and he said I wan't a typical driver.
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 05:51 PM   #167

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
I don't know if still a problem but on my GC with BlueOx wiring kit if you turn on the turn signal and step the brake the turn signal would quite flashing. Call Blue Ox tech support and they all ready knew that was a problem and the tech ask how many times do you step on the brakes at the same time you have the turn signal on. I said every time I make turn and he said I wan't a typical driver.
I've had that problem before as well with an Chevrolet Equinox behind a motorhome. But not a problem connected to my Tiffin Allegro Bus. If memory serves me correctly, it depends on the motorhome lights, some require additional switch/equipment (?) in order for the toad's turn signal lights and brake lights to operate at the same time independently of each other.
Nascarfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 04:24 AM   #168

Nascarfan, Pnewman10, Olbie, Voltdoc, All

Quote:
Originally Posted by glmsrphd View Post
All,
Thank you very much for each of the comments sharing your experiences and insights. Very helpful.
I have AFO and Blue Ox being installed next week. So I wanted to make sure that I understand the specific actions needed to successfully tow my Overland.
So, I went through the Jeep manual and all your postings and created a spreadsheet comparing what Jeep says with your experiences and recommendations.
I have attached that for your review—please correct any errors and add any other insights to that spreadsheet (pdf). And upload it again for anyone who wants to use it. I plan to use as a checklist.
Thank you.
Greg
Could you please look at the attached and correct any errors or add anything I missed? I summarized from your experiences and insights what works for putting L into tow and back out and put those into the attached spreadsheet. Could be a helpful checklist for us.
Thank you!
Greg
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Grand Cherokee L Towing Actions.pdf (37.7 KB, 38 views)
glmsrphd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cherokee, tow