Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2022, 08:27 AM   #211

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElmondTX1 View Post
You can not flat tow a 2021 Grand Cherokee "L" 4x4. It has a Quadra-Trac 1 Transfer Case. Recreationally Towing is now allowed. The only Jeeps available is the Overland and Summit. They have the Quadra-Trac 2 transfer case. We have owned 2 GC Limited 4x4 we flat towed behind our motorhome with no problem. Today they are not available. Voice of experience. We purchased a 2021 GC "L" with the understanding we could flat tow. No so as mentioned above. The Houston dealership was no help after the purchase. We now had a used GC "L" and they would sell us a new Overland for an additional $14K, so we are stuck with the "L" and now must find a used dinghy we can tow.

Just another note. We purchased a new 2021 Class A gas with a Ford F53 chassis. On the way home from the dealership the check engine light (ABS and Tract System) came on and we lost cruise control. There is NO Ford dealership in Houston that will service our motorhome. Found one 80 miles away. Left it yesterday and was told it may be 2 months before we get it back since they are so far behind. We contacted Ford for help and they were no help at all.

Sure wish we had our Grand Design Reflection with Chevy Duramax diesel back.
Welcome to the world of raving!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2022, 10:31 AM   #212

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElmondTX1 View Post
You can not flat tow a 2021 Grand Cherokee "L" 4x4. It has a Quadra-Trac 1 Transfer Case. Recreationally Towing is now allowed. The only Jeeps available is the Overland and Summit. They have the Quadra-Trac 2 transfer case. We have owned 2 GC Limited 4x4 we flat towed behind our motorhome with no problem. Today they are not available. Voice of experience. We purchased a 2021 GC "L" with the understanding we could flat tow. No so as mentioned above. The Houston dealership was no help after the purchase. We now had a used GC "L" and they would sell us a new Overland for an additional $14K, so we are stuck with the "L" and now must find a used dinghy we can tow.

Just another note. We purchased a new 2021 Class A gas with a Ford F53 chassis. On the way home from the dealership the check engine light (ABS and Tract System) came on and we lost cruise control. There is NO Ford dealership in Houston that will service our motorhome. Found one 80 miles away. Left it yesterday and was told it may be 2 months before we get it back since they are so far behind. We contacted Ford for help and they were no help at all.

Sure wish we had our Grand Design Reflection with Chevy Duramax diesel back.
ElmondTX1 I don't think that is correct on the GCL. While I have not towed my Summit yet, my dealer told me I could by just using the transfer case "N" button on the console. I have placed it in "N" and it rolls just fine when I push it, lol. It appears a lot of folks on this forum are towing theirs successfully... I think your dealer gave you bad information, and/or didn't know how to help you. If you look through this forum there are a lot of steps the manual doesn't help with that need to be completed to tow it.
jmfixitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 07:16 PM   #213

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmfixitman View Post
ElmondTX1 I don't think that is correct on the GCL. While I have not towed my Summit yet, my dealer told me I could by just using the transfer case "N" button on the console. I have placed it in "N" and it rolls just fine when I push it, lol. It appears a lot of folks on this forum are towing theirs successfully... I think your dealer gave you bad information, and/or didn't know how to help you. If you look through this forum there are a lot of steps the manual doesn't help with that need to be completed to tow it.

Edmond is differentiating between the regular L and the summit. The Quadra trac 1 vs 2. Summit has 2. Flat tow ok.
Tmyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 06:02 AM   #214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmyz View Post
Edmond is differentiating between the regular L and the summit. The Quadra trac 1 vs 2. Summit has 2. Flat tow ok.
Thanks Tmyz. We were sold the regular GC L. The Overland and Summit is flat towable. The dealer did not tell us that, even though I told the salesman at least 10 times it had to be towable.

As it ends up we have a Jeep that can't be towed and a motorhome with a Ford chassis and no place in Houston to get it serviced.
ElmondTX1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 10:45 AM   #215

Monaco Owners Club
Well I have had no luck finding Roadmaster baseplates 521457-5 for the GCL, and Roadmaster says 6-8 weeks... Anyone know of a vendor that has them in stock, I sure cant find one? And of course I already ordered my Roadmaster towbar to fit those plates...
Old 02-06-2022, 10:48 AM   #216

Roadmaster Base Plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmfixitman View Post
Well I have had no luck finding Roadmaster baseplates 521457-5 for the GCL, and Roadmaster says 6-8 weeks... Anyone know of a vendor that has them in stock, I sure cant find one? And of course I already ordered my Roadmaster towbar to fit those plates...
We ordered the 521458-4 on 1/28/22 directly from Roadmaster. They had 8 in stock on that day. It’s a base plate that requires a cross bar. We went that route so we could mount their Gardian Rock Shield and Tow Defender. You might consider that option if they still have stock on hand.
RedCatcher46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 12:58 PM   #217

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCatcher46 View Post
We ordered the 521458-4 on 1/28/22 directly from Roadmaster. They had 8 in stock on that day. It’s a base plate that requires a cross bar. We went that route so we could mount their Gardian Rock Shield and Tow Defender. You might consider that option if they still have stock on hand.
Thanks! Looks like you are correct, Roadmaster said they do have the crossbar style in stock. More stuff to consider, so I will have to investigate the pros and cons to each... I like the idea of a rock shield.
Old 02-07-2022, 12:58 PM   #218

GCL Flat Tow Wiring Kit UPDATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCatcher46 View Post
So far I've found two companies, Hopkins Mfg in Emporia, KS and Teknosha Mft in Plymouth, MI who "almost" have what we need.

Hopkins currently makes a flat tow wiring kit, part # 56209 that works on Grand Chreokee 2014-2021. It looks like a nice plug and play kit. Two Jeep dealers tell me it will NOT work on the GCL. The tail light plugs are different on the L than the standard GC.
I believe they are correct. I have sent photos of the plugs on my car's taillights to Kriss Carter at Hopkins Customer Care. He has submitted them to engineering. I've asked if they could modify 56209 with plugs that will fit the GCL. Waiting for reply.

Teknosha currently makes a plug and play towing wiring kit that for the GCL. Part # 118847. It is used if you want to install a trailer towing package on your car. It would be used in lieu of Mopar # 82216651AA which is on national back order with no forecast of when it will be available. BTW, the Mopar costs almost $200 more than the Teknosha which they report to have in stock. They also make a universal flat tow wiring kit, part # 118821.

I spoke to Roger at Teknosha tech support asking him if his company could make a vehicle specific flat tow wiring kit for the GCL. I explained I felt their product development team could pretty easily come up with one by taking tail light plugs from the 118847 and installing them on the #118821. He has acknowledged the request and assigned a case number #857308 to the query. No promises.

Will update on this forum once I learn more.

UPDATE:

I spoke to "Pete" an engineer at Tekonsha today. They are considering making a vehicle specific flat tow wiring kit for the GCL, but are not prepared to jump into it until they can be confident there would be sufficient demand for the product.

In the mean time he suggested owners of GCLs that do not already have a trailer towing wiring kit installed and are leery of cutting into the vehicle wiring harness, consider installing their part #118847 and then splicing into that harness with their universal fat tow wiring kit #118821. By doing that, you would never disturb the vehicle factory harness. The 118847 plugs directly into the existing tail light plugs. Any cutting and splicing of wires would occur on the Tekonsha wiring.

For anyone considering adding trailer towing capability to the car this may be a good option. Our car was supposed to have the trailer wiring kit factory installed, but it was deleted. We were given a $275 credit. The price of a Mopar wiring kit is $595. One could buy both of the Teknosha kits for about the same money.

I asked if using a brake system that moved the brake pedal (which would thus activate brake lights) might cause an electrical conflict with a flat tow wiring system that also sent a signal to brake lights. Pete, says no. The control module that is part of the 118847 would filter that out.

Still have decisions to make.
RedCatcher46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 06:31 AM   #219

Excited to be able to Flat Tow Summit

If anyone has pics on how they connected their tow bars to a Summit I would be very appreciative.
I’m really concerned on not messing up the bumper or paint if possible. BTW Don’t buy black if you don’t have to. 😆 I just love how it drives, handles and even tows trailers really well. By far my favorite Jeep I’ve ever owned. I make excuses to take calls in the Jeep so I can enjoy the heated and massaging seats. It’s perfect for me.
The backup towing plan would be to get a stacker, to be able to have the Jeep and drift boat available. It would be harder to find spaces but it would keep everything clean. Especially, going to Alaska’s highways.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DED32D6E-9675-43CD-B060-90C455CEF927.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	455.7 KB
ID:	355900   Click image for larger version

Name:	38099B61-9290-4176-9037-435CD6E464DD.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	178.6 KB
ID:	355901  

Name:	4FAA6707-A43E-48A5-BDEC-F493B41C1153.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	556.9 KB
ID:	355902  
DriftFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 09:56 AM   #220

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascarfan View Post
Hey Rob, sorry for the delay in responding...been busy sight seeing. Cape Fear Custom RV out of Wilmington, NC did the AFO install. Bob at Blue Ox was kind enough to mount the break-away and air connection chuck after the baseplate install. The control box is tucked under the top cross bar on the passenger side of the car. I've attached pics of the actuator, the control box under the hood and front of grill showing where the Blue Ox connectors come through. Hope the pics help. Let me know if you need others.

Pistol Tingen
The setup is so well hidden I thought I was looking at sensors. I am really excited now. I was worried it would end up being a ugly cutout for the connection points. Thanks for posting pics. I still haven’t mounted my front license plate bracket. Looks like there’s just enough room for the electrical connections.
Nice install!
Old 02-08-2022, 10:02 AM   #221

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmyz View Post
This is why we own jeeps. Attachment 354600Attachment 354601
Beautiful Jeep 👍🏻
Are you using a rock guard or anything to protect the paint. I just had mine waxed and it makes a night and day difference keeping it clean.
Old 02-08-2022, 11:46 PM   #222

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriftFish View Post
The setup is so well hidden I thought I was looking at sensors. I am really excited now. I was worried it would end up being a ugly cutout for the connection points. Thanks for posting pics. I still haven’t mounted my front license plate bracket. Looks like there’s just enough room for the electrical connections.
Nice install!
I used Nascarfan pics as a template…….., just take your time cutting the fascia grill, go slow. Instead of using the self tappers for the 6 way i used machine screws (after threading the holes) then used black caps to finish it off. I’ll grab a black spring at some point. I think it blends in very well..

Name:	88957062-BFA3-4811-A4BD-8049ADA6E604.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	383.4 KB
ID:	355984

Name:	3EA126CD-040E-482A-BC40-F26C32A56F55.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	452.1 KB
ID:	355985
Keurig_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 06:28 AM   #223

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keurig_Dude View Post
I used Nascarfan pics as a template…….., just take your time cutting the fascia grill, go slow. Instead of using the self tappers for the 6 way i used machine screws (after threading the holes) then used black caps to finish it off. I’ll grab a black spring at some point. I think it blends in very well..

Attachment 355984

Attachment 355985
Where do the safety chains hook?
Old 02-09-2022, 08:30 AM   #224

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntnski View Post
Where do the safety chains hook?
Zoom in closely, you will see the two attachments protruding from the fascia, they just blend in. Attaching a better pic……

Name:	FC286AA9-A320-4B28-A878-EBA16648B89D.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	426.2 KB
ID:	356028
Keurig_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cherokee, tow