Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2021, 09:56 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot-Rod View Post
Confirmed, electric steering works with engine off and 2-speed transfer case in neutral.

To be clear, I have a new 2021 Grand Cherokee "L" Overland 4x4.
Awesome!! That is good news. Thanks for the info!!
T_Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2021, 07:46 PM   #16

New Grand Cherokee L - Flat Tow???

Quote:
Confirmed, electric steering works with engine off and 2-speed transfer case in neutral.

Great. It’s the best test without actual towing. You guys are one step closer.
Old 08-04-2021, 07:36 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lass View Post
Great. It’s the best test without actual towing. You guys are one step closer.
I agree - a step closer. But not definitive until it’s on the road in real life flat tow situations.

I have sent inquiry to FCA / Stellantis both directly and through Jeep Cares via WLJeep Forum. Specific questions were: (1) did they explicitly address death wobble problem in designing steering on new Grand Cherokee L 4 x 4 with Quadra Trac II transfer case; (2) have they eliminated death wobble in new GC L model?

As might be expected, have had no response from either. I am definitely encouraged by Hot Rod’s report, but, respectfully, I don’t think it gets us to the bottom of the inquiry where we really need to be to spend 60K to saddle up this outstanding looking (and performing) horse.

It would be much more assuring to hear FCA / Stellantis give positive and clear responses to my direct inquiries. So we keep doing our diligence work!

One other thing: I am still moving forward as if we’re going to get good news on this. Is anyone out there looking at GC L trying to purchase through FCA / Stellantis’ Affiliates program? It’s a great program with purchase at 1% less than invoice price by folks who qualify. Dealers apparently don’t have to participate but they reportedly get 2% from FCA / Stellantis plus the holdback and a 75.00 fee for the paperwork. They might understandably be wanting to keep their inventory for full retail sale, but with more units arriving on lots, I wonder what people are finding if trying to use this program. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Deek
”Deek” / FMCA #363986
2023 Winnebago View 24D Bay Mist II
What a Hoot!
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 12:26 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deek View Post
I agree - a step closer. But not definitive until it’s on the road in real life flat tow situations.

I have sent inquiry to FCA / Stellantis both directly and through Jeep Cares via WLJeep Forum. Specific questions were: (1) did they explicitly address death wobble problem in designing steering on new Grand Cherokee L 4 x 4 with Quadra Trac II transfer case; (2) have they eliminated death wobble in new GC L model?

As might be expected, have had no response from either. I am definitely encouraged by Hot Rod’s report, but, respectfully, I don’t think it gets us to the bottom of the inquiry where we really need to be to spend 60K to saddle up this outstanding looking (and performing) horse.

It would be much more assuring to hear FCA / Stellantis give positive and clear responses to my direct inquiries. So we keep doing our diligence work!

One other thing: I am still moving forward as if we’re going to get good news on this. Is anyone out there looking at GC L trying to purchase through FCA / Stellantis’ Affiliates program? It’s a great program with purchase at 1% less than invoice price by folks who qualify. Dealers apparently don’t have to participate but they reportedly get 2% from FCA / Stellantis plus the holdback and a 75.00 fee for the paperwork. They might understandably be wanting to keep their inventory for full retail sale, but with more units arriving on lots, I wonder what people are finding if trying to use this program. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Deek
Yes I have contacted 6 different dealers. Only 2 of them have said no to the affiliate pricing. If the dealer I am working with gets right on my trade then it is a done deal. The affiliate price on the Overland model I am trying to get is $3,191.00 below MSRP.
Old 08-06-2021, 09:14 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Following because I purchased a GCL Overland and plan to flat tow...eventually
Quote:

So are you saying that when you place your transfer case into neutral, the EPS is energized and remains powered automatically?
Is this integrated into the GC L or was a retrofit harness required like on the Cherokee and GC?

Thank you
Old 08-06-2021, 04:28 PM   #20

Well I signed papers on a new L model Overland today. I am offshore at work and had to use an app called docusign to get it done. I fly in from the rig on this coming Thursday and will be taking delivery then. Now the fingers and toes will be crossed that Demco makes the products I need to flat tow her prior to January of 2023 when I plan to retire and acquire the motorhome.
Old 08-09-2021, 06:29 PM   #21

Entegra Owners Club
Watching this thread carefully as I also have a GC-L Overland on order.

Microlan thanks for your post great info.

Hot-Rod releived to hear the EPS stays active when the transfer case is in neutral and the engine off. I'm guessing the battery load in this scenario will not be insignificant so a battery charge line from the mh would appear to be a requirement.

Regarding base plates, Roadmaster had A GC-L Overland on site for fitment the week of 7/26 and they confirmed to me this morning that they have completed the design(s) and sent them up to engineering for testing and production drawings. Note that there are two new designs, the Overland and Summit require different base plates. If their estimates to me are accurate we should be seeing product potentially by the end of September.

BlueOx has an Overland coming into their shop the first week in September. They claim product availability 6-8 weeks after that.

Based on Microlan's post, Demco doesn't have an L yet. Curt has been unresponsive to my inquiries.

For brake/turn lights initially I'm thinking of using wireless magnetic lights until a custom harness becomes available.

As Microlan suggested, the braking system could be a challenge. It would be helpful to know if the brake pedal is soft or not while in tow mode.

For Affiliate Rewards pricing, I was working with two dealers, one small family run business and another large with multiple dealerships in several states. The small dealer wouldn't take it because they have a small allocation and need to maximize their profit on every sale. The large dealer accepted it and actually ends up slightly better with the Affiliate price than the deal he offered me over the phone ($500 over invoice). Of course I end up significantly better off with the Affiliate deal. In addition in my area there is an incentive of $1000 active until the beginning of next year.
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 06:29 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltdoc View Post
Watching this thread carefully as I also have a GC-L Overland on order.

Microlan thanks for your post great info.

Hot-Rod releived to hear the EPS stays active when the transfer case is in neutral and the engine off. I'm guessing the battery load in this scenario will not be insignificant so a battery charge line from the mh would appear to be a requirement.

Regarding base plates, Roadmaster had A GC-L Overland on site for fitment the week of 7/26 and they confirmed to me this morning that they have completed the design(s) and sent them up to engineering for testing and production drawings. Note that there are two new designs, the Overland and Summit require different base plates. If their estimates to me are accurate we should be seeing product potentially by the end of September.

BlueOx has an Overland coming into their shop the first week in September. They claim product availability 6-8 weeks after that.

Based on Microlan's post, Demco doesn't have an L yet. Curt has been unresponsive to my inquiries.

For brake/turn lights initially I'm thinking of using wireless magnetic lights until a custom harness becomes available.

As Microlan suggested, the braking system could be a challenge. It would be helpful to know if the brake pedal is soft or not while in tow mode.

For Affiliate Rewards pricing, I was working with two dealers, one small family run business and another large with multiple dealerships in several states. The small dealer wouldn't take it because they have a small allocation and need to maximize their profit on every sale. The large dealer accepted it and actually ends up slightly better with the Affiliate price than the deal he offered me over the phone ($500 over invoice). Of course I end up significantly better off with the Affiliate deal. In addition in my area there is an incentive of $1000 active until the beginning of next year.
I could be wrong, but I think that Automobility/Drivability 1000 dollar incentive is for folks that are handicapped from being able to drive a standard vehicle. Sorry if this is bad news.

Thanks for the news of Roadmaster and Blue Ox working on the baseplates. Maybe I need to call Demco and give them this news of their competitors. LOL
Old 08-11-2021, 07:37 AM   #23

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Roy View Post
I could be wrong, but I think that Automobility/Drivability 1000 dollar incentive is for folks that are handicapped from being able to drive a standard vehicle. Sorry if this is bad news.

Thanks for the news of Roadmaster and Blue Ox working on the baseplates. Maybe I need to call Demco and give them this news of their competitors. LOL
Ah, could very well be, thanks for the insight!

If you have a contact at Demco that might not hurt. I just made another inquiry to Curt, they have the L in their vehicle selector, but there are no flat tow products listed.
Old 08-11-2021, 08:03 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by microlan View Post
Braking systems:
This may be the greatest challenge.
Demco AF1 - not yet
Road Master - no news

It appears(not factory verified) that the GCL has electric assist braking with no vacuum assist. If this is the case, how will the two common permanent mount braking systems work when they need vacuum assist?
I wonder if NSA Products Ready Brake System would work with the electric assisted brakes?? The Ready Brake System looks like it does not rely on Vacuum assist??
https://www.readybrake.com/store/c3/...g_Systems.html
https://www.readybrake.com/faq.html
Old 08-12-2021, 06:41 AM   #25

Entegra Owners Club
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Roy View Post
I wonder if NSA Products Ready Brake System would work with the electric assisted brakes?? The Ready Brake System looks like it does not rely on Vacuum assist??
https://www.readybrake.com/store/c3/...g_Systems.html
https://www.readybrake.com/faq.html
Assuming the underlying brake system is basically traditional hydraulic, I'm thinking the question is when in tow mode (transfer case in neutral and engine off) if the L has a 'soft' pedal or not. If it does, systems like the Air Force One (which rely on a soft pedal) are compatible, you just don't make the connection to the [potentially non-existent] vacuum line.

From AFO towed vehicle manual:

Note: This portion of the installation is for vehicles with vacuum-assisted brakes ONLY. If you have hydroboost brakes, refer to page 12. If you have an electric assist brake and the vehicle requires the battery to be disconnected, refer to page 12. If you have an electric assist brake and the battery remains connected plug off the vacuum port only, keep the exhaust port open. If you are uncertain of your vehicle’s braking configuration, call the Demco Help Line for assistance.

I don't recall which, but some other braking systems are compatible with a soft pedal, but many are not.

I took a quick look at ReadyBrake but didn't find any info yet regarding soft or hard pedal adjustments. I did see that they offer a vacuum pump tho, so wondering about that. The AFO basically works the same way (no electronics) except it uses air (from your diesel coach) instead of a cable to move the brake pedal. If I can I'm going to stick with AFO since it has been totally reliable for me over the past 11 years.

Bottom line is we first need to know exactly how the brakes on the L operate when in tow mode.
Old 08-13-2021, 12:26 PM   #26

Entegra Owners Club
So I heard back from my contact at Roadmaster today. I had asked if the GC-L Overland they tested had conventional vacuum assist braking or electric assist braking The answer was that they are electric assist and they remain active in tow mode.

If anyone out there actually has a GC-L right now, confirmation of that would be great. Deek?

If correct that would mean a soft pedal and AFO as well as some other brands of supplemental braking systems should be compatible. Install should be simplified with no need to Tee into a vacuum line and install check valves, etc.

One would hope that Active Driver Assist will NOT be active in tow mode by default.
Old 08-14-2021, 03:27 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Will try to check this today and report back.

Deek
”Deek” / FMCA #363986
2023 Winnebago View 24D Bay Mist II
What a Hoot!
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 07:36 PM   #28

Entegra Owners Club
Supplemental Braking System Comparison

Started a spreadsheet comparing some of the more popular braking systems.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t?usp=drivesdk

Still a work in progress. Please advise other products to add and/or if you see any errors.

Tags
cherokee, tow