Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2021, 09:51 AM   #43

After further research it looks like what will be needed is the 2nd tow vehicle kit for Air Force one along with a hose that Demco sells with the proper connector to hook to the Freightliner BrakeSync connector. This is if we indeed wind up with a Brake Sync equipped coach.
T_Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2021, 01:05 PM   #44

I just got off of the phone with Demco. The part number for the new AFO kit specific to the new Brake Sync system is 9599020. It is basically a 2nd vehicle kit with the hose and proper connections along with the wireless coach link system all put together in one kit.

I also asked him about the baseplate for the new L model and he said he was quite sure their engineers were working on it.
Old 08-16-2021, 07:17 PM   #45

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Roy View Post
I just got off of the phone with Demco. The part number for the new AFO kit specific to the new Brake Sync system is 9599020. It is basically a 2nd vehicle kit with the hose and proper connections along with the wireless coach link system all put together in one kit.

I also asked him about the baseplate for the new L model and he said he was quite sure their engineers were working on it.
If you want to save the $250 for the wireless coach link there's a way to do it using the unused "brake controller" wire that almost all coaches have factory installed from the 7 pin at the back of the coach to the coach instrument cluster area. On the toad it only requires running a single wire from the reed switch on the AFO brake pedal air cylinder to the six pin connector at the front of the toad. Then at the coach dash you just need to find the unterminated Brake Controller wire (mine were labeled) and connect it to an attractive LED indicator that takes up virtually no space (and doesn't occupy a 12v outlet). Total cost about $10, super simple and reliable.

I used this fixture, but you can get it in chrome and a variety if LED colors. You can see a photo of it on my coach here. It's just to the left of the black rectangular info center. Nice bright red light whenever the brake pedal in the toad actually moves. I like that the AFO (and Stay-in-play) integrate an isolated switch into the air cylinder. I can document this in more detail if anyone is interested.
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 07:22 PM   #46

Entegra Owners Club
Are the brske lights active too?

Anyone with a GC-L, when in tow mode (xfer case in neutral engine off) we now know we have a soft pedal, can someone check if the rear brake lights come on if you depress the pedal? Probably too much to ask but what a time-saver that would be! What about turn signals?
Old 08-16-2021, 07:35 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltdoc View Post
If you want to save the $250 for the wireless coach link there's a way to do it using the unused "brake controller" wire that almost all coaches have factory installed from the 7 pin at the back of the coach to the coach instrument cluster area. On the toad it only requires running a single wire from the reed switch on the AFO brake pedal air cylinder to the six pin connector at the front of the toad. Then at the coach dash you just need to find the unterminated Brake Controller wire (mine were labeled) and connect it to an attractive LED indicator that takes up virtually no space (and doesn't occupy a 12v outlet). Total cost about $10, super simple and reliable.

I used this fixture, but you can get it in chrome and a variety if LED colors. You can see a photo of it on my coach here. It's just to the left of the black rectangular info center. Nice bright red light whenever the brake pedal in the toad actually moves. I like that the AFO (and Stay-in-play) integrate an isolated switch into the air cylinder. I can document this in more detail if anyone is interested.
That does sound cool but I will also be installing a conventional brake controller also. There will be times when I will be towing an enclosed trailer with 2 motorcycles inside. That enclosed trailer will have electric brakes.
Old 08-17-2021, 08:52 AM   #48

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Roy View Post
That does sound cool but I will also be installing a conventional brake controller also. There will be times when I will be towing an enclosed trailer with 2 motorcycles inside. That enclosed trailer will have electric brakes.
You could put a switch at the dash to switch between the two modes, but yeah if the wireless option is reliable it is a great option too.
Old 08-17-2021, 10:35 AM   #49

Entegra Owners Club
I heard back from Demco about a base plate for the L, here is what the product manager had to say:

Good morning. Yes, the Jeep Grand Cherokee L is on our radar screen. Demco has been in contact with a Jeep Dealer in our area. I don’t have an exact time line yet on the baseplate as the local dealer could only give us a guess on the arrival of the vehicle to their dealership. We watch the dealership inventory regularly and have good contacts there, so soon as they arrive, we will be getting on for fit purposes.

Verlin Keninger
RV Product Coordinator – Dethmers Mfg. Company
4010 320th Street,
Boyden, IA 51234

800-543-3626
www.demco-products.com
Old 08-23-2021, 01:59 PM   #50

Purchased 2022 GC

I have just ordered a 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve (not L). Dealer did not know the exact price nor delivery date. Negotiated $1k less than MSRP - whatever that turns out to be. Expecting delivery late Oct or Nov.

Hoping all your work (thanks everyone) holds for the two row GC. Will be towed by a 2020 Newell.
NWL1672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 07:38 AM   #51

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWL1672 View Post
I have just ordered a 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve (not L). Dealer did not know the exact price nor delivery date. Negotiated $1k less than MSRP - whatever that turns out to be. Expecting delivery late Oct or Nov.

Hoping all your work (thanks everyone) holds for the two row GC. Will be towed by a 2020 Newell.
Congrats!

While I would expect the brakes/steering to be the same setup, I'd be less sure about baseplate fitment. On the L, the Overland and Summit require different base plates. Even if the chassis and grill are only slightly different on the new 2 row, mods will be needed and that may take a while to work out. Even if by some miracle it is an exact fit, how would you know that until the various baseplate
manufacturers get the car and can valudate it. Consider the L was announced in January, started showing up on dealer lots in May or June, and still there is no baseplate in production although Roadmaster will have one for both the Summit and Overland in a few more weeks.

Also it's probably included on the Summit but did you confirm it has Quadra-Track II? That is a requirement for flat towing.

Finally are you aware of the Affiliate Rewards program? Provides pricing 1% below invoice price. Also known I believe as the "PP" price. Most dealers will accept it because they get at least a 2% of invoice kickback on top of their holdback. Check with your dealer.

https://www.fcausaffiliates.com/index.html

As a Motorola retiree I was able to sign up and get that discount by just showing a photo of my employee badge, but there is a huge list of other suppliers and partners, and even if you don't qualify for one of those you can pay a small fee to a activist group and get the discount. Access Fund is one, for a $50 membership you can save over $3K, but note you must be a member for 30 days before your discount becomes active.

If you need more info about this let me know I have a few more links that are useful.

Also, I picked up my GC-L yesterday and last minute found a $500 incentive from TrueCar or TrueCar via Consumer Reports. The $500 comes off the bottom line for me and the dealer is reimbursed so another win/win. All in, my total discount off MSRP was approaching $4K.

Oh, also if you have a trade, here was my experience, dealer offer $9K, Carvana $17033. Car is a 2013 Honda Odyssey. Blows away any sales tax savings. They come and pick it up too.
Old 08-24-2021, 07:41 AM   #52

Entegra Owners Club
Brake lights are active

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltdoc View Post
Anyone with a GC-L, when in tow mode (xfer case in neutral engine off) we now know we have a soft pedal, can someone check if the rear brake lights come on if you depress the pedal? Probably too much to ask but what a time-saver that would be! What about turn signals?
Now that I have the vehicle I checked this and the brake lights do activate in tow mode when the brake pedal is depressed. Not the turn signals however.
Old 08-24-2021, 09:31 AM   #53

Thanks for your most helpful advice. I am not eligible for the affilliate discount. As a small business owner I do not come close to being associated with a company that qualifies.... I negotiated $1,000 less than MSRP - which is probably slightly more than a 1% discount, so I'm not sure joining an activist group would be worthwhile. The dealership is able to place an order, but the price has not been released. Who does business like this? We can guess the cost will be in the high sixty thousand range. The Summitt Reserve comes with Quadra-Trac II, larger engine and most options. Sales and technical/service people at the dealership have spent hours confirming the car is towable. I have no trade. This will be my first toad - pulled behind my first coach. Timing is not critical. Delivery will probably be early November, and I don't expect to be "toading" until next summer. My guess is that with the larger engine and (probably) a different front end configuration the baseplate companies will find the number of Summit Reserves used as toads to be below the number required to justify the engineering effort. I expect I will need to purchase a unit for an L and modify or copy it. As an engineer (and with enough help from structural engineers) I think I can manage the task.

Good to know the brake lights work when the pedal is depressed. Now: How to handle the turn signals? With LED lights the space inside the housing may be too tight to fit an additional bulb.
NWL1672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 09:59 AM   #54

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks for your most helpful advice. I am not eligible for the affilliate discount. As a small business owner I do not come close to being associated with a company that qualifies.... I negotiated $1,000 less than MSRP - which is probably slightly more than a 1% discount, so I'm not sure joining an activist group would be worthwhile. The dealership is able to place an order, but the price has not been released. Who does business like this? We can guess the cost will be in the high sixty thousand range. The Summitt Reserve comes with Quadra-Trac II, larger engine and most options. Sales and technical/service people at the dealership have spent hours confirming the car is towable. I have no trade. This will be my first toad - pulled behind my first coach. Timing is not critical. Delivery will probably be early November, and I don't expect to be "toading" until next summer. My guess is that with the larger engine and (probably) a different front end configuration the baseplate companies will find the number of Summit Reserves used as toads to be below the number required to justify the engineering effort. I expect I will need to purchase a unit for an L and modify or copy it. As an engineer (and with enough help from structural engineers) I think I can manage the task.

Good to know the brake lights work when the pedal is depressed. Now: How to handle the turn signals? With LED lights the space inside the housing may be too tight to fit an additional bulb.
Hopefully you negotiated a 1% off of the INVOICE price and not MSRP.

I realize your deal is done, but just as an FYI for others the Freightliner Owner's Club is also part of the Chrysler Affiliates Rewards program. Membership is only $15 or $20 per year so signing up for a year would make sense.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FCOC Chrysler Affiliate Rewards.png
Views:	78
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	340770  
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 06:39 AM   #55

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks for your most helpful advice. I am not eligible for the affilliate discount. As a small business owner I do not come close to being associated with a company that qualifies.... I negotiated $1,000 less than MSRP - which is probably slightly more than a 1% discount, so I'm not sure joining an activist group would be worthwhile.
Its 1% below invoice not MSRP. Anyone qualifies for the Affiliate program. Join the Access Fund for $50 (at least 30 days prior to closing). I'll use my numbers for example. MSRP $62820, Invoice $60156, FFP (Affiliate) price $59620. Your deal $61820. Difference $2200 or $2150 after Access Fund fee. Why wouldn't you spend $50 and take 15 minutes to sign up?

Plus I got another $500 discount using the TrueCar targeted incentive, anyone is eligible for this too, just sign up and get a code to give to the dealer.

Good that you have a long time to wait for fitment. I am quite sure the big 4 (Roadmaster, BlueOx, Demco, Curt) will design base plates, the two row is sure to be a popular tow vehicle. My prior tow is a Honda Odyssey with a BlueOx baseplate, how many of those do you see being towed? It's a tiny market compared to Jeep. Roadmaster and BlueOx have fitment programs where you bring them your vehicle for a week to use for patterning and you get a free baseplate, BlueOx even gives you a free Avail towbar too. You need to travel to their factories. Demco waits for a local dealer to have inventory and that's where they get their pattern (and why they are losing the race right now). Curt has been incommunicado so no idea with them.

RE brake lights/turn signals, for turn signals you could go the traditional approach. But no way I am drilling holes in the light housing or using diodes. On my Honda I tapped into the turn and brake circuits under the dash and sent power to the lights from there, but its a '13 and relatively primitive. On the Jeep I'd like to use the CAN and simply send the appropriate commands. It will take a while to work out how to do that on the GC-L (especially since the WL uses CAN FD) so in the interim I'm considering wireless magnetic base lights I can just stick to the roof, or perhaps clamp to the roof rails.

Keep us posted on your purchase progress!
Old 08-25-2021, 07:00 AM   #56

Entegra Owners Club
Be careful if ordering or about to receive or buy a GC-L now

"Chip shortage" issues. Make sure you are really getting what is supposed to be included with the trim you ordered or are buying.

So it is bad enough that Jeep is now shipping the Summit without the "stock" eLSD or the larger rear axle - same reason you can't get the Off Road package on the Overland which includes those items. And only giving a measly $200 credit off MSRP.

Now they are deleting the Air Suspension and Active Damping on the Overland and presumably Summit! MSRP credit is only $750. See sticker I found from an Overland in transit here (last line directly above the Destination Charge):
https://www.jeep.com/hostd/windowsti...RJKDG1M8159852

If mine came in like that I'd refuse it.

Tags
cherokee, tow