Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-27-2021, 11:45 PM   #71

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by voltdoc View Post
I heard an unconfirmed rumor from their competition (who heard it from a customer) that BlueOx may not be producing a baseplate for the Overland at all. However, I find that a bit hard to believe, as of a couple weeks ago they were still looking for an Overland to make a pattern. I'll update here if I hear anything more about this.
This rumor appears to be false. As of today BlueOx told me they have a GC-L Overland coming in for fitment on 10/11.
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2021, 04:23 PM   #72

My wife just picked up a 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2 weeks ago. We're hoping to be able to tow down to the keys in January. Any information would be grateful......
Bagelboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 05:01 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagelboy View Post
My wife just picked up a 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2 weeks ago. We're hoping to be able to tow down to the keys in January. Any information would be grateful......

L or WK2?
Steve and Linda's APEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 04:42 PM   #74

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Congrats on your new vehicle! This thread is specifically addressing the WL75 or new 2021 Grand Cherokee L (not the 2021 Grand Cherokee) Overland and Summit. All the information known so far about towing an L is discussed in this thread. What specific vehicle/trim do you have and what specific info are you looking for? GC-L Limited and below cannot be flat towed.
Old 10-04-2021, 07:02 AM   #75

She picked up the Summit.....have tried to find tow package info....but have been told it's not out yet.
Bagelboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 06:21 AM   #76

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
She picked up the Summit.....have tried to find tow package info....but have been told it's not out yet.
Read back a few posts #70 gives the BlueOx part number for the Summit base plate. You can order it from BlueOx, contact them for the lead time.

That post also mentions Roadmaster is in production for the Overland and Summit base plates.

The Summit version Baseplate Kit is 521457-5

See here:
https://fitmaster.roadmasterinc.com/...0L&type=direct

My Overland kit should be arriving today.
Old 10-11-2021, 04:22 PM   #77

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
These are great, thanks much! Looks like the brake pedal actuator is connected to the firewall exactly where I was thinking. Good to know the AFO can fit under that crossbar, I was wondering about that.

One more question, do you know where they ran the air line and brown wire thru to get it from the engine compartment to under the dash? I saw there is a grommet on the driver side where the hood release cable goes thru that might be a good spot, but...

Have you towed it much yet? Any sign of the wobble?

Thanks again, safe travels!
My pleasure. The air line and brown wire were run through the firewall in an opening about 5 inches below the upper grommet on the driver side. I've attached a couple of pics for reference. Hopefully you'll be able to see the entry point. No hole was cut, the entry point was already there under the black covering.

I've towed the JGC-L just under 2,000 miles. No hint of a wobble...it's towed perfect everywhere we've gone. Including over cattle grate/bars, some dirt roads, some rough paved roads, railroad tracks etc. The only problem I've run into is in the electronics. After towing, quite often it's difficult to get the transfer case out of Neutral. I have to play with it, going through the whole process several times before it'll go out of Neutral. Once out of Neutral the instrument cluster shows error messages. I'll include a pic to show the display. After driving a couple of miles the error goes away and full function is restored. Prior to that the air suspension can't be adjusted up and down and it rides stiffer. If you run across this problem with anyone else please let me know what's going on. It really get's frustrating...especially when I need to do a quick disconnect. Other than that the car is an absolute dream...both driving and towing.

Pistol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20211011_141612.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	345807   Click image for larger version

Name:	20211011_141625.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	194.3 KB
ID:	345808  

Name:	20211002_170530.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	167.2 KB
ID:	345809  
Nascarfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 10:53 PM   #78

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascarfan View Post
My pleasure. The air line and brown wire were run through the firewall in an opening about 5 inches below the upper grommet on the driver side. I've attached a couple of pics for reference. Hopefully you'll be able to see the entry point. No hole was cut, the entry point was already there under the black covering.

I've towed the JGC-L just under 2,000 miles. No hint of a wobble...it's towed perfect everywhere we've gone. Including over cattle grate/bars, some dirt roads, some rough paved roads, railroad tracks etc. The only problem I've run into is in the electronics. After towing, quite often it's difficult to get the transfer case out of Neutral. I have to play with it, going through the whole process several times before it'll go out of Neutral. Once out of Neutral the instrument cluster shows error messages. I'll include a pic to show the display. After driving a couple of miles the error goes away and full function is restored. Prior to that the air suspension can't be adjusted up and down and it rides stiffer. If you run across this problem with anyone else please let me know what's going on. It really get's frustrating...especially when I need to do a quick disconnect. Other than that the car is an absolute dream...both driving and towing.

Pistol
Great info once again, thanks! I found another entry point for the air line and brown wire thru the door jamb, but haven't done the install yet so will definitely check this out.

I assume you have a charge line from your MH to keep the Jeep battery charged? The electric steering and brakes must consume a lot of power.

I will be towing my Overland a short distance for the first time tomorrow (to a body shop to have repairs done to the motorhome from a fedex truck that backed into us) and I'm very nervous about the electronics setup. I have practiced getting the xfer case into neutral and realize I also need to disable the automatic parking brake and entry/exit automatic ride height in the Uconnect. I hope I am not missing anything else. I have noticed too, it is very finicky getting the transfer case out of neutral. I suspect there is a trick to it, just need to figure out exactly what it is. The instructions in the owners manual are clearly copied from the previous generation GC and aren't entirely accurate for the L.

Thanks again for the info! Photo below is of my partially completed baseplate install. Plans are to cover the center grill section (either with a grill piece or front license plate bracket) to hide the air fitting and breakaway switch when not towing. Also in my case the Roadmaster baseplate (first production unit shipped) uses the tow hook mounts, but I'll be reinstalling 'fake' tow hooks for cosmetic reasons. I'll do a complete report on all that once I get all the details finished up.

Old 10-15-2021, 06:46 PM   #79

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Great info once again, thanks! I found another entry point for the air line and brown wire thru the door jamb, but haven't done the install yet so will definitely check this out.

I assume you have a charge line from your MH to keep the Jeep battery charged? The electric steering and brakes must consume a lot of power.

I will be towing my Overland a short distance for the first time tomorrow (to a body shop to have repairs done to the motorhome from a fedex truck that backed into us) and I'm very nervous about the electronics setup. I have practiced getting the xfer case into neutral and realize I also need to disable the automatic parking brake and entry/exit automatic ride height in the Uconnect. I hope I am not missing anything else. I have noticed too, it is very finicky getting the transfer case out of neutral. I suspect there is a trick to it, just need to figure out exactly what it is. The instructions in the owners manual are clearly copied from the previous generation GC and aren't entirely accurate for the L.

Thanks again for the info! Photo below is of my partially completed baseplate install. Plans are to cover the center grill section (either with a grill piece or front license plate bracket) to hide the air fitting and breakaway switch when not towing. Also in my case the Roadmaster baseplate (first production unit shipped) uses the tow hook mounts, but I'll be reinstalling 'fake' tow hooks for cosmetic reasons. I'll do a complete report on all that once I get all the details finished up.

No charge line yet, but no battery issues so far. I put a RVi Battery Charger on my last toad and plan to do the same on the GC-L when I return home.

Sorry to hear about the FedEx run in. Hope all goes well with the repair. How did your tow experience go? I agree the electronics can cause stress and anxiety. I've had my fair share. Think my erratic errors have finally caught up with me. I left a rest area this afternoon on I80 in CA near Donner Lake and looked in the rear view mirror of the MH and saw tire smoke billowing from the rear tires of the GC-L. Finally able to pull on the shoulder of I80 in CA and checked the car. Appears the electronic brake engaged going down the road...I could be wrong, but seems that way. Tried taking the transfer case out of Neutral but couldn't get it to complete it. Couldn't move the car and had to call AAA to trailer it tomorrow to the Jeep dealer in our destination city of Santa Rosa, CA where our son lives. Called the service department there and they assured me their technicians have a lot of experience and training to assess the problem. She also told me there's some service bulletins on my car...one has to do with front driveshaft disconnect working erratically. Don't know if that has to do with some of the errors or not. We'll see. Crazy.

I couldn't get the pic of your partial install. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Like the idea of the license plate bracket. Be sure to post pics of the completed project. Stay in touch.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20211015_140426.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	227.6 KB
ID:	346178  
Old 10-18-2021, 11:37 AM   #80

Quote:
This rumor appears to be false. As of today BlueOx told me they have a GC-L Overland coming in for fitment on 10/11.
Following.

Just spoke with BlueOx.
Hope to have a part # next week for the Overland (they have Summit). Then 6 weeks to distributors. Ugh. Doesn't work with my schedule. Was hoping to be on the road Dec 1.
MarkMCCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 05:31 AM   #81

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascarfan View Post
No charge line yet, but no battery issues so far. I put a RVi Battery Charger on my last toad and plan to do the same on the GC-L when I return home.

Sorry to hear about the FedEx run in. Hope all goes well with the repair. How did your tow experience go? I agree the electronics can cause stress and anxiety. I've had my fair share. Think my erratic errors have finally caught up with me. I left a rest area this afternoon on I80 in CA near Donner Lake and looked in the rear view mirror of the MH and saw tire smoke billowing from the rear tires of the GC-L. Finally able to pull on the shoulder of I80 in CA and checked the car. Appears the electronic brake engaged going down the road...I could be wrong, but seems that way. Tried taking the transfer case out of Neutral but couldn't get it to complete it. Couldn't move the car and had to call AAA to trailer it tomorrow to the Jeep dealer in our destination city of Santa Rosa, CA where our son lives. Called the service department there and they assured me their technicians have a lot of experience and training to assess the problem. She also told me there's some service bulletins on my car...one has to do with front driveshaft disconnect working erratically. Don't know if that has to do with some of the errors or not. We'll see. Crazy.

I couldn't get the pic of your partial install. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Like the idea of the license plate bracket. Be sure to post pics of the completed project. Stay in touch.
Ugh, sorry to hear about the possible park brake lock up! Just wondering have you disabled the auto park brake in Uconnect? Even so, I was reading in the manual it is possible to engage the park brake with the ignition off (but not release it) irrespective of the Uconnect setting.

On my previous Honda Odyssey I left the park brake on once, but it was a manual system and that was just my stupidity. No smoke, the shoes just wore out. The park brake was a drum type brake in a hub inside the rear rotors. Easy to fix. I think the jeep park brake is a similar setup. However my Honda park brake was never as grippy as the Jeep seems to be. Please let us know the end result.

My short tow last week went well, although I had the exact same system weirdness you upon coming out of transfer case neutral, it all cleared up quickly tho after driving a few hundred feet.

Yesterday I finished the AFO install and aside from testing we are ready to go. I installed a Toad Charge to regulate the charging current to the Jeep batteries, it always worked well on the Odyssey. We hit the road Thursday so fingers crossed.

I'll post photos shortly, writing this from my phone.
Old 10-19-2021, 06:01 AM   #82

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMCCL View Post
Following.

Just spoke with BlueOx.
Hope to have a part # next week for the Overland (they have Summit). Then 6 weeks to distributors. Ugh. Doesn't work with my schedule. Was hoping to be on the road Dec 1.
You can try Roadmaster, I have the first production baseplate for the Overland installed now. I think they should be available now.

Jyst FYI I actually did the Roadmaster Baseplate install and read thru the BlueOx install for the Summit. I have always used BlueOx in the past and have a BlueOx Avail towbar. I am not as much a BlueOx fan these days tho after hearing about the early Avail tow bar design flaws causing them to break. Anyway I expect both are doing their due diligence.

What I liked about the Roadmaster install is there is no drilling required for Summit or Overland and the use of the factory tow hook mount points (only actually installed on the Overland) to support the base plate. I'm only an electrical engineer but this setup seemed like a slightly more robust approach with good distribution of the loads. BlueOx (at least on the Summit) does not use the tow hook mount points and requires drilling. However there is a possibility with the BlueOx design that the factory tow hooks on the Overland can be retained, we will see. I have some ideas even with my Roadmaster Baseplate how to reinstall my tow hooks for cosmetic purposes.

In the linked photo below, the black tube connecting to the red chassis frame is where the tow hooks were. BlueOx doesn't use that and depends on the sheet metal further forward.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Dz1irhDijLe4Qrkn8

The link below shows the original tow hook setup.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/xiqMH5DxQgcwUgtu6
Old 10-20-2021, 06:23 AM   #83

Quote:
You can try Roadmaster, I have the first production baseplate for the Overland installed now. I think they should be available now.

Jyst FYI I actually did the Roadmaster Baseplate install and read thru the BlueOx install for the Summit.

Thank you for your response on this VoltDoc. Much appreciated. My bad for not reading the entire thread before posting. Will be making some phone calls this morning to locate dealer/distributor.

I will need to adapt a Blue Ox towbar, which I read on etrailer that I can use the RM-032. Any pros/cons for those of you that have experience doing this.

Thank you in advance on any responses
MarkMCCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 11:28 AM   #84

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Ugh, sorry to hear about the possible park brake lock up! Just wondering have you disabled the auto park brake in Uconnect? Even so, I was reading in the manual it is possible to engage the park brake with the ignition off (but not release it) irrespective of the Uconnect setting.

On my previous Honda Odyssey I left the park brake on once, but it was a manual system and that was just my stupidity. No smoke, the shoes just wore out. The park brake was a drum type brake in a hub inside the rear rotors. Easy to fix. I think the jeep park brake is a similar setup. However my Honda park brake was never as grippy as the Jeep seems to be. Please let us know the end result.

My short tow last week went well, although I had the exact same system weirdness you upon coming out of transfer case neutral, it all cleared up quickly tho after driving a few hundred feet.

Yesterday I finished the AFO install and aside from testing we are ready to go. I installed a Toad Charge to regulate the charging current to the Jeep batteries, it always worked well on the Odyssey. We hit the road Thursday so fingers crossed.

I'll post photos shortly, writing this from my phone.
To be honest, it was so stressful being on a narrow shoulder beside I80 with tons of 18 wheeler and 4 wheeler traffic, I didn't bother to look at Uconnect. I kept trying to disengage the Neutral setting so I could move the car but couldn't get it to cooperate. Kudos to AAA Premier RV service. They were there within 15-20 minutes of my request for a rollback. It helped that their regional service center was in Truckee, CA about 15 miles away.

The GC-L was delivered to Lithia Jeep Chrysler in Santa Rosa, CA late Monday afternoon via AAA rollback. Service department manager called me yesterday to let me know. Interestingly, when getting ready to unload he asked the driver to try releasing the park brake by pushing down and it released the brake and they were able to roll the Jeep off the rollback. I was stunned and assured him I tried over and over beside I80, as well as the other AAA driver, and it would not release. He said they are trying to diagnose the problem...said there were 35 errors recorded when they connected to diagnostics. I think at least half of those were the errors on display each time I disconnected after towing. The service manager wanted contact information for the AFO installer and Baseplate installer to determine where any wiring they used was connected. Said with electronics onboard nowadays that can create faults or errors. They are trying to determine first if the problem is related to outside influence or if there's a problem/malfunction with the Jeep. He said Jeep may end up flying an engineer in to assess what's going on. The only time I have gotten the errors display is after towing...never when not towing.

You mentioned above "My short tow last week went well, although I had the exact same system weirdness you upon coming out of transfer case neutral, it all cleared up quickly tho after driving a few hundred feet." Did you get an error display similar to the pic I posted previously? If so, that's information I need to pass along to Jeep Service. It's important to pass along as much information as I can to support the theory that it's a Jeep thing, not a third party thing. Ironically, my wife was searching online and came upon a post of someone who purchased a GC-L Overland and 3 days later it was in the shop for a "Automatic Emergency Brake (AEB) limited availability service required" error message. She ended up getting a replacement vehicle. Interesting read. Link if interested is https://www.jeepgarage.org/threads/2...ost-2021304999.

I think they need to tweak the manual. I discovered early on that the parking brake couldn't be released unless the switch is on. The manual doesn't discuss that in the towing instructions. The manual also states to press the start button twice to turn everything off. Following their procedure turns the display back on with the second press. I discussed that at length with Jeep Cares prior to baseplate installation and could never get any resolve. Called my Jeep dealer and they found the same thing happened on their GC-L Overland and told me pressing it once should be fine.

Best of luck on your travels tomorrow. How far are you traveling? Be interesting to see if you get additional errors. Any additional information you or anyone else can provide on any weird experiences would be helpful to pass along to Jeep so any errors or problems can be addressed.

Pistol

Tags
cherokee, tow