Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2021, 08:02 AM   #57

Thanks for the equipment change heads-up. Without air suspension it can't be a Summit Reserve, can it? ANY equipment change will be rejected.

Saw your purhase price analysis on the Jeep Forum. Very helpful. Obtaining the best price was not my objective. With no experience I am counting on the expertise of the technicians and service reps at the dealership. One has offered "after hours" (at a price) help. That is worth a lot to me. I have been promised everything (within their control) to get this vehicle towed - not just towable, but with all hardware installed and working. Maybe not priceless, but worth a few $.
NWL1672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2021, 08:45 PM   #58

Tiffin Owners Club
Grand Cherokee-L Summit Reserve Blue Ox Baseplate - Done.

For those interested in a Blue Ox baseplate for the '21 GC-L Summit, they will be available in 6-8 weeks. I trailered my Summit Reserve from NC for their fitment program this past week. Engineering was completed and baseplate installed Wednesday, September 1. Bob in engineering did a very nice job. GC-L tows great...I'm running Air Force 1 braking.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210904_141119.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	371.5 KB
ID:	342106   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210904_141226.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	335.0 KB
ID:	342107  

Nascarfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 10:10 PM   #59

Fleetwood Owners Club
Following for info.
Old 09-06-2021, 08:28 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascarfan View Post
For those interested in a Blue Ox baseplate for the '21 GC-L Summit, they will be available in 6-8 weeks. I trailered my Summit Reserve from NC for their fitment program this past week. Engineering was completed and baseplate installed Wednesday, September 1. Bob in engineering did a very nice job. GC-L tows great...I'm running Air Force 1 braking.

Awesome news. What was your solution for brake tail and blinker lights.
T_Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 09:29 AM   #61

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Great info, thanks for the photos. As I understand it they are still looking for an Overland, do you have an info on that?

Roadmaster version for Overland should be available in early October.
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 04:25 PM   #62

Any idea on roadmaster for summit reserve?
Tmyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 09:41 PM   #63

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Roy View Post
Awesome news. What was your solution for brake tail and blinker lights.

Blue Ox installed a wiring harness with diodes.
Old 09-06-2021, 09:42 PM   #64

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by voltdoc View Post
Great info, thanks for the photos. As I understand it they are still looking for an Overland, do you have an info on that?

Roadmaster version for Overland should be available in early October.
Connor at Blue Ox said they have an Overland scheduled for October. Once the engineering/fitting is complete, they should have them available for consumer purchase in 6-8 weeks.
Old 09-06-2021, 09:44 PM   #65

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmyz View Post
Sorry, can't help you with Roadmaster.
Old 09-07-2021, 07:11 AM   #66

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmyz View Post
Roadmaster has already (late July) had a Summit and Overland in their shop for fitment. The two trims require different baseplates, not only due to different grill fascia, but also because the Summit does not have the tow hooks - or tow hook mount points - like the Overland.

My last communication with Roadmaster (last Friday) was that engineering had sent back some modifications to the original designs and they were bringing in the customer vehicles again to re-test the fit and installation procedure. All indications are that product should be ready to go by early next month. Hope so because we are planning to hit the road mid October!

I will be checking in again this Friday and will ask about the Summit too, if I forget to update here, PM or email me on Saturday for latest status.

BTW, the baseplate will be a design with the removable pins and round receivers like this one so is a very similar design to the BlueOx.
Old 09-07-2021, 10:27 PM   #67

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Some questions re your AFO install.
  • Did you install it yourself or hire it out?
  • If not too much trouble would you mind posting a photo of the actuator on the brake pedal and where it attaches to the firewall? The firewall is heavily padded on the interior and its hard to tell what is a safe spot to be drilling into it.
  • Curious where the AFO control box was installed.

Thanks and safe travels!
Old 09-10-2021, 05:14 PM   #68

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by voltdoc View Post
Some questions re your AFO install.
  • Did you install it yourself or hire it out?
  • If not too much trouble would you mind posting a photo of the actuator on the brake pedal and where it attaches to the firewall? The firewall is heavily padded on the interior and its hard to tell what is a safe spot to be drilling into it.
  • Curious where the AFO control box was installed.

Thanks and safe travels!
Hey Rob, sorry for the delay in responding...been busy sight seeing. Cape Fear Custom RV out of Wilmington, NC did the AFO install. Bob at Blue Ox was kind enough to mount the break-away and air connection chuck after the baseplate install. The control box is tucked under the top cross bar on the passenger side of the car. I've attached pics of the actuator, the control box under the hood and front of grill showing where the Blue Ox connectors come through. Hope the pics help. Let me know if you need others.

Pistol Tingen
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20210909_122248.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	185.5 KB
ID:	342644   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210909_122240.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	292.9 KB
ID:	342645  

Name:	20210909_122209.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	288.6 KB
ID:	342646   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210909_122200.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	206.5 KB
ID:	342647  

Name:	20210909_122128.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	278.8 KB
ID:	342648  
Old 09-13-2021, 03:26 PM   #69

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Hey Rob, sorry for the delay in responding...been busy sight seeing. Cape Fear Custom RV out of Wilmington, NC did the AFO install. Bob at Blue Ox was kind enough to mount the break-away and air connection chuck after the baseplate install. The control box is tucked under the top cross bar on the passenger side of the car. I've attached pics of the actuator, the control box under the hood and front of grill showing where the Blue Ox connectors come through. Hope the pics help. Let me know if you need others.

Pistol Tingen
These are great, thanks much! Looks like the brake pedal actuator is connected to the firewall exactly where I was thinking. Good to know the AFO can fit under that crossbar, I was wondering about that.

One more question, do you know where they ran the air line and brown wire thru to get it from the engine compartment to under the dash? I saw there is a grommet on the driver side where the hood release cable goes thru that might be a good spot, but...

Have you towed it much yet? Any sign of the wobble?

Thanks again, safe travels!
Old 09-26-2021, 01:22 PM   #70

Entegra Owners Club
Base Plate Availability

BlueOx - their website has the 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L baseplate listed for the SUMMIT ONLY (BX1146) along with the installation instructions. I don't know what the lead time is to actually get one. So far they have not appeared on etrailer.com. To date there is not a BlueOx baseplate for the 2021 GCL Overland. I heard an unconfirmed rumor from their competition (who heard it from a customer) that BlueOx may not be producing a baseplate for the Overland at all. However, I find that a bit hard to believe, as of a couple weeks ago they were still looking for an Overland to make a pattern. I'll update here if I hear anything more about this.

Roadmaster - Look for the ability to order a baseplate for the 2021 GCL Overland (and possibly the Summit) sometime next week. When it's ready it should appear as an orderable part# on their web site. The engineering work is complete and I believe production has started but it will take a bit to gear up and get product in the pipeline. I will be going with this one as it is the only sure bet at the moment for an Overland and we hit the road in 3 weeks.

Demco - last I heard (three weeks ago) they were waiting for a local dealer to get some L's in stock.

Tags
cherokee, tow