Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2017, 07:28 PM   #1

New Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk Toad

This weekend we purchased a 2017 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk for a toad. Wanted to share some info for those who may be interested.

Dealer specified curb weight for our unit was 4028lbs. I have a set of truck scales and weighed each wheel and axle and was a little surprised by the actual weight. Yes I know that I weighed with a full tank of gas (15.8gal), but that does not account for all the difference (also, no passengers or cargo were in the Jeep when I weighed it). Oh, and scales were recently checked.

4-corner & Total weight:

Left front: 1320#
Right front: 1240#
Front axle total: 2560#

Left rear: 970#
Right rear: 960#
Rear axle total: 1930#

Total/gross: 4490#

Slightly more than expected by a couple hundred pounds, but we are still within weight specs for the rig. I still am dealing with the dealer on the flat tow wiring harness that is required.

Regards,

Terry
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2017, 07:41 PM   #2

Yes, your weights are consistent with what I found when I weighed mine. I have a feeling the weight specs did not include the skid plates. Mine came to a few hundred pounds more than that...but I was sitting in the driver's seat.

I've been working on building my own base plate. Spent a day on it about a month ago, and haven't had time to get back to it. One of my goes was to keep my tow hooks. I've welded up a hitch receiver that the tow hook can slide into. Yes, it will require removing the front skid play to be able to reach the nut on the back side of the tow hook. But typically I only tow once a year, so not that bad. I've already had to use one of the front tow hooks. I had to be winched out of a mud pit. I know for sure I don't want to loose the use of those.
Old 08-06-2017, 08:25 PM   #3

I was thinking of tinkering with the tow hooks so they would lock into the tow plate like the removable tow arms. Then just remove when you want to tow. It would require some work for sure.
Old 08-21-2017, 01:52 PM   #4

New Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk Toad

Have you been able to successfully tow your Trailhawk? Are you getting any tire edge scuff on sharp turns? Basically ours doesn't seem to track or turn enough on sharp turns and the RV is pulling it around!! 2017 Cherokee Trailhawk L plus with the Mopar flat towing harness installed. Using BlueOx towbar and base plates.
registed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 02:41 PM   #5

Actually, they are installing the Mopar Flat-Tow kit today, so no, we have not towed it yet.

With your ignition off and the flat-tow kit activated, does your steering wheel move side-side easily (as if you had the car started)? This is the test for if the kit is actually on and working
Old 08-23-2017, 10:13 AM   #6

I tried to activate the Mopar Flat tow Harness and either I don't understand how to do it or it is not working. My steering wheel does not turn as if the vehicle were started. Its the same hard turn as it is when it is off.

This is what i tried to activate the harness(In my garage):

(1) hood up with window open and vehicle running for 20 seconds.
(2) stop engine and wait for bus to sleep( all lights etc... off).
(3) flip center console switch to up.
(4) open door to get out and bus wakes up!!
(5) waited for bus to sleep again.
(6) insert 10 amp fuse and i hear clicking under hood.
(7) wheel does not turn easily so i don't think it is working!!

I tried this multiple times and tried once with fuse first and then flip of switch but same result.

Special comment: The instructions say the vehicle has to be in neutral but that does not appear to have any bearing on this activity.

Any other suggestions or comments?
Old 08-23-2017, 10:47 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by registed View Post
I tried to activate the Mopar Flat tow Harness and either I don't understand how to do it or it is not working. My steering wheel does not turn as if the vehicle were started. Its the same hard turn as it is when it is off.

This is what i tried to activate the harness(In my garage):

(1) hood up with window open and vehicle running for 20 seconds.
(2) stop engine and wait for bus to sleep( all lights etc... off).
(3) flip center console switch to up.
(4) open door to get out and bus wakes up!!
(5) waited for bus to sleep again.
(6) insert 10 amp fuse and i hear clicking under hood.
(7) wheel does not turn easily so i don't think it is working!!

I tried this multiple times and tried once with fuse first and then flip of switch but same result.

Special comment: The instructions say the vehicle has to be in neutral but that does not appear to have any bearing on this activity.

Any other suggestions or comments?
I think I see your problem. The bus needs to remain asleep through-out the entire process. See if the following works (BTW, there is no need to start the engine).

1 - While sitting behind the steering wheel open the door and wait until the dash lights go completely dark.
2 - Flip the console switch.
3 - Exit the vehicle leaving the door open.
4 - Insert the 10 amp fuse under the hood.
5 - Return to the driver's seat and verify the steering wheel turns easily (it can take approximately 5 seconds from when you insert the fuse)

If the above doesn't work then the harness is not installed correctly. It took my dealer three tries to get it to work.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 12:31 PM   #8

Flat Tow Kit (FT)

registed,

When I picked my TrailHawk up from the dealer after they installed the FT kit, I tried to test also and initially failed because of my operator error (Me ).

The dealer installed the activation switch inside my console box (not sure if this is where they normally put it because I have read of other locations out in the open). My switch has a red interlock safety cover on it (and I assume yours does too).

The initial mistake I made was that after I flipped the switch itself up, I closed the red interlock cover ( again). When things did not work (wheel would not turn after putting fuse in under hood), I quickly identified that as soon as you close the red interlock cover, that turns the switch off.

Leaving the switch in the up position with the red interlock cover in the up position got things working for me. Steering wheel turned easy. Thought I would throw that out there just in case you were closing the interlock cover.

The Service Adviser had no clue, but at least I was able to get them to install the kit at no cost to me.

Terry
Old 08-23-2017, 12:39 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Have you been able to successfully tow your Trailhawk? Are you getting any tire edge scuff on sharp turns? Basically ours doesn't seem to track or turn enough on sharp turns and the RV is pulling it around!! 2017 Cherokee Trailhawk L plus with the Mopar flat towing harness installed. Using BlueOx towbar and base plates.
IVE towed my 2016 trailhawk about 12000 mi so far, Have not noticed any scuff on the tires. I do not have the flat tow kit.I do rotate the tires on a regular basis.
Old 08-24-2017, 11:27 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakewoodpaul View Post
IVE towed my 2016 trailhawk about 12000 mi so far, Have not noticed any scuff on the tires. I do not have the flat tow kit.I do rotate the tires on a regular basis.

So when you are hooked up and ready to go your steering wheel is hard to turn but yet it tracks fine behind the RV?
Old 08-24-2017, 11:32 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
I think I see your problem. The bus needs to remain asleep through-out the entire process. See if the following works (BTW, there is no need to start the engine).

1 - While sitting behind the steering wheel open the door and wait until the dash lights go completely dark.
2 - Flip the console switch.
3 - Exit the vehicle leaving the door open.
4 - Insert the 10 amp fuse under the hood.
5 - Return to the driver's seat and verify the steering wheel turns easily (it can take approximately 5 seconds from when you insert the fuse)

If the above doesn't work then the harness is not installed correctly. It took my dealer three tries to get it to work.
Tried this process but unfortunately the harness does not appear to be activating. Looks like a trip to the dealer to see if they can make it work or fix it!
Old 08-24-2017, 11:45 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Tried this process but unfortunately the harness does not appear to be activating. Looks like a trip to the dealer to see if they can make it work or fix it!
Sorry to hear that didn't work. I had a friend that had problems with his installation as well. Took it back to the dealer numerous times. They finally found the connections to the switch in the console were not correct.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 02:11 PM   #13

I wrote this step by step for my mom who tows a Cherokee. I will be towing a TrailHawk myself in a few weeks. You can ignore the steps to engage and disengage the brake controller unless you have an SMI Stay and Play.

https://1drv.ms/b/s!AuKCPV2_us-GnMF7LNr3dgRMQJimMQ

Preparing to tow the Jeep

Putting the transfer case into neutral

1. Attach the vehicle to the tow vehicle using a suitable tow bar.
2. Bring the vehicle to a complete stop on level ground, and shift the transmission to PARK.
3. Turn the engine OFF.
4. Turn the ignition to the ON/RUN mode, but do not start the engine.
5. Press and hold the brake pedal.
6. Shift the transmission into NEUTRAL.
7. Using a ballpoint pen or similar object, push and hold the recessed NEUTRAL (N) button (located by the selector switch) for four seconds. The light behind the N symbol will blink, indicating shift in progress. The light will stop blinking (stay on solid) when the shift to NEUTRAL (N) is complete.
8. After the shift is completed and the NEUTRAL (N) light stays on, release the NEUTRAL (N) button.
9. Start the engine.
10. Release the parking brake.
11. Shift the transmission into REVERSE.
12. Release the brake pedal for five seconds and ensure that there is no vehicle movement.
13. Shift the transmission to NEUTRAL.
14. Apply the parking brake.
15. Shift the transmission into PARK, turn the engine OFF, and remove the key fob.

Activating the Jeep tow harness to enable power steering

16. Wait for the bus to sleep; indicated by cluster turning off.
17. Flip the new toggle switch UP in the console box.
18. Insert the fuse in the harness.
The steering wheel should turn easily because the EPS is energized.
19. Flip your brake controller to the on position.
20. Turn the ignition to the ON/RUN mode, but do not start the engine.
21. Press and hold the brake pedal.
22. Release the parking brake.
23. Turn the ignition OFF, remove the key fob, and release the brake pedal.

Preparing to disconnect the Jeep

Take the transfer case our of neutral for regular operation

1. Bring the vehicle to a complete stop, leaving it connected to the tow vehicle.
2. Apply the parking brake.
3. Turn the ignition to the ON/RUN mode, but do not start the engine.
4. Press and hold the brake pedal.
5. Shift the transmission into NEUTRAL.
6. Using a ballpoint pen or similar object, push and hold the recessed power transfer unit NEUTRAL (N) button (located by the selector switch) for one second.
7. When the NEUTRAL (N) indicator light turns off,
8. release the NEUTRAL (N) button.
9. After the NEUTRAL (N) button has been released, the power transfer unit will shift to the position indicated by the selector switch.
NOTE: When shifting the power transfer unit out of Neutral (N), the engine should remain OFF to avoid gear clash.
10. Shift the transmission into PARK.
11. Release the brake pedal.

Deactivating the Jeep tow harness to resume normal operation

12. Make sure the engine is off and vehicle power is off and the cluster is off.
13. Remove the fuse from the harness.
14. Flip the toggle switch DOWN.
15. Wait for ? seconds (not sure how long; the EPS will continue to operate for a bit.)
16. Check that the steering wheel is no longer easy to turn.
17. Start the engine.
18. Make sure there is no check engine light.
19. Perform a steering wheel lock to lock maneuver to verify EPS function and relearn steering soft stops if necessary.
20. Flip the brake controller to the OFF position.
21. Disconnect the vehicle from the tow vehicle.
lo-tek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 05:48 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
So when you are hooked up and ready to go your steering wheel is hard to turn but yet it tracks fine behind the RV?
I cant answer the question re: hard steering, have never tried the steering wheel and yes it tracks as well if not better then my 06 liberty or my 96 Cherokee

Tags
toad