Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2012, 07:36 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
(New) Jeep Owners - Help

After having a Saturn Vue for six years - the best TOAD ever - we decided to buy a 2012 Jeep Sport Unlimited so we could go places where the Saturn could not (we are rockhounders). It is SO much easier to hook up the Jeep than it was the Saturn - put the tranny in park, transer case in neutral and take off - it is amazing. No removing fuses, no speed limit, no amount of time you can drive before starting it for three minutes, etc.

I have a Blue Ox brake system, about eight years old. When I plug it into the outlet in between the two front seats it worked fine without the ignition key being in ACC (the manual says just keep it off). However, when I went to remove the brake system from the Jeep, the inline fuse (10A) had blown. I suspect this is just coincidental because we have had it for so long. I replaced the fuse, tested it and it worked fine.

My question is: with the key off and the brake system plugged in and drawing power, will that power be enough to drain the battery over a period of time, say a full day of driving? I can't find anywhere where the manual says that is a problem but I was just wondering. Anyone with experience with a new(er) Jeep as a TOAD?
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2012, 08:54 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
What I would do to prevent any battery voltage drop is to run 2 more wires from the motor home to the Jeep (of course with a connector) that go fromt he batt + and batt - to the starting battries on the motor home.
This will let the Alt in the motor home keep the Jeep powered up on the road.
You can run these 2 wires right together with the other wires that go to the jeeps taillights and brake unit.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:04 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
What I would do to prevent any battery voltage drop is to run 2 more wires from the motor home to the Jeep (of course with a connector) that go fromt he batt + and batt - to the starting battries on the motor home.
This will let the Alt in the motor home keep the Jeep powered up on the road.
You can run these 2 wires right together with the other wires that go to the jeeps taillights and brake unit.
Thanks for the advice but I'm mechanically and electronically challenged and that won't happen. My wife would fear for her life if I tried to do any more than flip a light switch! What I'm looking for is other Jeep owners experiences with their JEEP TOADS as to whether towing has drawn down their batteries.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:13 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden View Post
Thanks for the advice but I'm mechanically and electronically challenged and that won't happen. My wife would fear for her life if I tried to do any more than flip a light switch! What I'm looking for is other Jeep owners experiences with their JEEP TOADS as to whether towing has drawn down their batteries.
Hi
I have a 2008 Jeep diesel toad with brake buddy. Never had a battery problem with many long days driving with brake unit plugged in to lighter, at night when stopped I pull power plug from lighter socket. Battery always stays charged enough to start and run car. Have been doing this for 4 years 50000 miles,
I am now on second Jeep and second motor home. I have no charge power from motor home to car only brake away and light connected.
Rebel
rebelone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:52 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rebelone,

Thanks, that's what I wanted to see!
Old 02-26-2012, 10:40 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I tow a 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited with the Air-Force One brake system. When we first got the Jeep we followed the owner's manual and put the key in the Acc position while towing. That resulted in a dead battery several times. After this, we discovered that there is no steering wheel lock and the key can be removed while towing. But before we learned how to tow the Jeep I had the Toad-Charge system installed and no problem with dead batteries. The Air-Force One draws no battery current, so if one does not intend to do substantial night driving I don't think the Toad-Charge is necessary.
Ralph A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:04 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
I too have a Jeep Wrangler. When We tow it (I have a brake Buddy plugged into the power socket which is always "hot") I take the key out of the ignition. Prior to discovering that I could remove the key I would "lift" a fuse located in the fuse box under the hood. The problem that I ran into was when we did a long days worth of towing. If we overnighted somewhere and did not disconnect and drive the Jeep we found the battery of the Jeep discharged . With the ignition key removed and a long days towing I make it a point to at least check the Jeeps battery at the end of the day. I also carry a battery charger and jumper cables too
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote