Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2010, 09:57 AM   #15

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

I have a 2008 that requires the key in acc position. As a note when I tow without removing the IOD fuse, disconnecting negative cable or whatever I get an engine warning light when I start the engine. I took it to the Jeep dealer twice two different service centers for explanation both said the electronics detected a coolant problem thus the warning. If I had restarted the engine 3-5 times the light would have gone out. Since those times I use a Cooltech battery disconnect.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2010, 08:09 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
I have been on the road for the last week. I have almost 1000 miles pulling the Jeep. I have not disconnected the battery or pulled any fuses. I have not had any problem with towing the Jeep without the key in the ignition. Everything has been working as advertised. I have the CoolTec wirering harness, Air Force One and a Blue Ox Aventa tow bar. I have not contacted Jeep as to the proper procedure, but everything is working great now.
mbisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 06:30 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rguarin View Post
OK I have read a lot of posts in several different forms " Motorhome and Jeep ". About towing a 09 JK without having a KEY in the ignition turned on to the aCC position. Every one on them said it was OK. But the stealership said the manual said to use the key so you have to. Finale got the stealership to contact a tech and he said that the manual said to. So yes you have to use the key. Just in case the column locked. Even though the 09s do NOT have steering column locks. Has anyone talked to someone who said it was OK to tow without the key in the ign. Or have so proof that it is OK. Makes sense NO Lock No Key but is it OK. Thanks
Ditto, what Pameridan said. I have an 09 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon and do not need or use the key. Just make sure that the transfer case is in neutral.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:35 AM   #18

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

If the book requires you to have the key in Acc position and the steering were to lock would the only damage be to tires and suspension? Just wondering if it would affect the lifetime drive train warranty.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 01:11 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Just got back from about 1000 trip. Gone for 2+ weeks. I didn't have the key in when I towed. No problems. Worked great. I have the Air Force One, Cool Tech wirering harness. No problems. It works without the key in the Jeep.
mbisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 05:50 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Towing 09 JK behind Motorhome without a key.

Well it is OFFICIAL. Chrysler call back yesterday 03/25/10. The Tech that called said that Chrysler did NOT update the Owner Manuals for the 2009,2010 and some 2008 late year Jeeps. To say that they did NOT have steering column locks so that NO key was needed to be used when towing them. He also said that Chrysler shoud have sent out somrthing in writing stating this but did not. I asked him to please send me or this forum and the forum JK.Com something in writing saying this. He said that he would contact the " Higher Powers to BE " to please do this. Good luck with that.