Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2018, 12:29 PM   #71

Winnebago Owners Club
@BPoland: When I see a trailer ahead which is not holding in the lane, I give it a "wide berth" as I pass it. Is it very likely it'll go out of control?... No, but if there's a higher probability of an undesirable event, why tempt fate? Same for a GC.

This is not a "sky-is-falling" mentality. Rather it is avoiding the "it-won't-happen-to-me" mentality.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2018, 07:29 AM   #72

Newmar Owners Club
I tried sending Jeep an email through their contact link but their system is not responding - no emails are getting through right now.

I did send a detailed email to John at FMCA after experiencing the death wobble yesterday for the first time after 18,000 miles of trouble free towing behind our motorhome. So yes, it's only a question of time before all GC owners with the electric steering will experience the wobble. Guaranteed.
Carefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:37 AM   #73

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carefree View Post
I tried sending Jeep an email through their contact link but their system is not responding - no emails are getting through right now.

I did send a detailed email to John at FMCA after experiencing the death wobble yesterday for the first time after 18,000 miles of trouble free towing behind our motorhome. So yes, it's only a question of time before all GC owners with the electric steering will experience the wobble. Guaranteed.
Under what conditions did it occur?
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:40 AM   #74

Newmar Owners Club
Sharp left turn onto highway ramp. The pavement was very uneven when I made the turn. I was going slow - not even 25 mph.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:42 AM   #75

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Sharp left turn onto highway ramp. The pavement was very uneven when I made the turn. I was going slow - not even 25 mph.
Ok, thanks. I wondered. Sounds like the classic case that has been experienced by others when it does happen.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 05:10 PM   #76

Newmar Owners Club
As long as these wobbles happen at slow speeds I would not consider them a major safety issue. Just turn on your emergency flashers and come to a short complete stop. I have not heard (yet) anyone who had the wobble at higher speeds - at least not with the GC.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:11 PM   #77

Tiffin Owners Club
Well, I hope a solution emerges for those who have experienced this phenomenon on Grand Cherokees with electric power steering.

As for me, I continue to tow my 2016 Grand Cherokee with no "wobble" (I intentionally deleted "death" from my description, as I have yet to hear of any deaths). So far (10,000+ miles) I see no difference in towing my 2016 from the 2014 GC it replaced.

Not sure why I've been so lucky. However, I use a Blue-Ox Avail tow bar, which has longer arms and may make the "geometry" more favorable. Additionally, I always make turns as wide and slow as possible.

For me, my Grand Cherokees have been incredible tow vehicles. They are far more comfortable than the Wrangler they replaced and, with the optional Off-Road Adventure package take me everywhere I used to go in my Wrangler. The larger fuel tank combined with the far more economical Ecodiesel engine (50% improvement in fuel economy over the Wrangler) give me a lot more range between fill-ups.

I'm not posting this to deny the claims by those who have had problems with their GCs. Rather, I'm just suggesting that it hasn't happened to all of us.
D Moffitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 07:17 PM   #78

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Moffitt View Post
Well, I hope a solution emerges for those who have experienced this phenomenon on Grand Cherokees with electric power steering.

As for me, I continue to tow my 2016 Grand Cherokee with no "wobble" (I intentionally deleted "death" from my description, as I have yet to hear of any deaths). So far (10,000+ miles) I see no difference in towing my 2016 from the 2014 GC it replaced.

Not sure why I've been so lucky. However, I use a Blue-Ox Avail tow bar, which has longer arms and may make the "geometry" more favorable. Additionally, I always make turns as wide and slow as possible.

For me, my Grand Cherokees have been incredible tow vehicles. They are far more comfortable than the Wrangler they replaced and, with the optional Off-Road Adventure package take me everywhere I used to go in my Wrangler. The larger fuel tank combined with the far more economical Ecodiesel engine (50% improvement in fuel economy over the Wrangler) give me a lot more range between fill-ups.

I'm not posting this to deny the claims by those who have had problems with their GCs. Rather, I'm just suggesting that it hasn't happened to all of us.
Yep, until yesterday I never experienced the wobble and we have towed our 2016 GC for 18,000 miles behind our motorhome. It really is just a matter of the right circumstances. It has nothing to do with the towbar, baseplate or anything else. We need to get power to the electric steering - Jeep needs to step up and install a similar harness as they did for the 2014 (and up) Cherokees.

It's kind of mind blowing why they are taking their dear time. At some point someone will have an accident because of the wobble and then they will be liable. It's a shame.

I've owned a 2014 Cherokee with the death wobble and Jeep dragged their feet on a solution forever. It was only through FMCA that we were able to shame them into developing the harness.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:38 PM   #79

Tiffin Owners Club
Apparently, I have not been unfortunate enough to experience the "right circumstances."

Accordingly, I will remain mute on this topic until those obviously far more knowledgable than I come up with a solution.

Sorry if I "stirred the pot" too much.
D Moffitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 07:56 PM   #80

Newmar Owners Club
You didn't stir the pot at all. That's not how my post was meant. I thought exactly like you until yesterday. I get it.
Old 05-17-2018, 03:33 AM   #81

Quote:
Yep, until yesterday I never experienced the wobble and we have towed our 2016 GC for 18,000 miles behind our motorhome. It really is just a matter of the right circumstances. It has nothing to do with the towbar, baseplate or anything else. We need to get power to the electric steering - Jeep needs to step up and install a similar harness as they did for the 2014 (and up) Cherokees.

It's kind of mind blowing why they are taking their dear time. At some point someone will have an accident because of the wobble and then they will be liable. It's a shame.

I've owned a 2014 Cherokee with the death wobble and Jeep dragged their feet on a solution forever. It was only through FMCA that we were able to shame them into developing the harness.
Actually, liability would probably be a tough sell for you or anyone else that has knowledge and or prior experiences with the wobble. A case would probably be made that you knew of the deficiencies of the inactive EPS system while towing your GC. Knowing the hazard, you willingly continued towing it, thereby accepting the risk. I’m no lawyer, but I can see where a high price lawyer could have a field day with this one.

All that being said, I will continue to tow our 2016 GC. If the wobble ever happens at highway speeds, all bet are off! As much as I like her, she’ll be headed to the used car lot.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 07:04 AM   #82

Winnebago Owners Club
There may not be much to support those theories that the GC wobble occurs only at low speeds and-or sharp turns. What was discovered among Cherokee owners is that the sequence of hitting a sequence of bumps, alternating the hits to left and right wheels, with the correct timing was what initiated the wobble. Events such as crossing diagonal RR tracks or hitting alternating potholes while going straight set up that wobble condition, just as hitting ruts/bumps perpendicular to the road while in a turn would do. Some owners believe the wobble events are sympathetic vibrations initiated when wheels bump alternately side-to-side at "just-the-right" frequency (somewhat akin to the tuning fork and piano string). I had thought for a while that a "steering damper" might have been a solution only to find none were available for the KL Cherokee.

With the GC, some things might be different, although the change from an hydraulic steering system to EPS shows a determining factor. Whatever solution FCA/Jeep develops, it is highly likely the solution will involve dampening the wobble, whether by software in the EPS computer or some mechanical means.

The best to all of you who wait for a solution, here's hoping that comes soon. To those who feel that the slow-speed-wobble cannot be a safety issue, think about wobble on highway entrance/exit ramps or in heavy traffic.
Old 05-27-2018, 04:23 PM   #83

First wobble in 18’GC summit. Second time to tow and then it occurred. Turning right into a on ramp at approximately 10-15 mph. Stopped and it quit. Not what I bought the vehicle for. Towed a 13 wrangler for 5 years with no issues. Having some regrets now. Hope Jeep is taking this serious.
Old 05-27-2018, 07:27 PM   #84

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Has anybody with a new JL Wrangler experienced this wobble yet?
FLSteve is offline   Reply With Quote