Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2018, 06:15 PM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by lass View Post
It’s been a stonewall since day 1 and Jeep has never admitted that the GC has a problem.

We can also forget about the Jeep CEO’s email address that posted previously. He was promoted to run the entire FCA Corp and will most likely be moving to Italy.
Someone posted that all vehicles with eps have the wobble problem. Both Silverados and Colorado's have the eps but I have never heard of them having a problem. What a shame that some if the best and most popular toads have that problem. I hope you all get satisfaction from FCA.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2018, 08:19 PM   #114

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
Someone posted that all vehicles with eps have the wobble problem. Both Silverados and Colorado's have the eps but I have never heard of them having a problem. What a shame that some if the best and most popular toads have that problem. I hope you all get satisfaction from FCA.
I've had 3 different GM trucks with EPS that I towed on occasion. Granted I never towed them that far or that much but I never had a wobble problem with any of them. A 2014 Chevy 1500, a 2016 GMC 2500 HD gas and a 2017 Chevy 2500HD Duramax. All work trucks towed for work. The Jeep GC was the perfect vehicle for us. Comfortable mid sized SUV. We both loved it. It was my daily driver for 18 months and was driven more than both of our other vehicles combined! The Jeep wobbled with me just a couple of weeks after we purchased it less than 20 miles into the first trip towing it. After a year and a half of trying to deal with FCA and having the problem a half a dozen times I finally gave up on the GC. We bought the MH to enjoy traveling and not being worried about what's happening behind me with my towed vehicle. Some say its not a serious problem. That's a personal call, I feel that it was. I've worked in the outside plant construction industry for 40+ years, I'm overly cautious about everything I do. Maybe I'm wrong but I was to the point it wasn't fun for me anymore. Either the Jeep or the MH was going. I took a beating on it not just in the loss of value but the time and equipment I went through to try to salvage it. I really do miss my Grand Cherokee, great vehicle in all regards but not worth the stress towing. I'm downsizing my company this year and not towing heavy trailers anymore. So I replaced the 17 Chevy 2500 and the GC with a Ford 150 that replaces both vehicles. So far its towed wonderfully well, and I don't have to disconnect the battery as with the GM's. Hope I don't jinx myself! (it also has EPS)
Good luck to all the 2016+ GC owners. I hope that everyone has better luck than we did.
mhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:43 PM   #115

After reading this, we'll either keep our uncomfortable '16 Jeep Patriot stick or look at Ford 150.
Old 08-12-2018, 07:04 PM   #116

I bought a 2017 at years end to replace my Saturn vue which has been perfect. I have not equipped grand Cherokee yet but was bought only after assurances that I would not have THE problem. I now have 4 k and I am in a quandry. Any Advice?
ronboatplane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 07:40 PM   #117

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronboatplane View Post
I bought a 2017 at years end to replace my Saturn vue which has been perfect. I have not equipped grand Cherokee yet but was bought only after assurances that I would not have THE problem. I now have 4 k and I am in a quandry. Any Advice?

I also have a 2017 GC and I have had the wobble twice and the second time it was bad enough that I refuse to tow it. I purchased a 2017 Jeep Wrangler to tow and still waiting for a fix for the Grand Cherokee. If you complain to Jeep they just tell not to tow 4 down and put it on a trailer instead.
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 04:15 AM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronboatplane View Post
For what it's worth, I'm in the same position. Was told the the 2018 GC Summit didn't have the problem... It does. Jeep says it's not a known issue... It's very well known. The told me not to tow it - trailer it... Well, hell, I bought the damn thing to tow based on their representations that it was built to tow. If I had known I would not have bought a Jeep. But now I'm stuck.

That having been said, it's happened to me 3 times... First time after 8000 miles towing. I'm now at 15,000 miles towing. It has only happened to me at very low speeds- under 25 MPH. It quit as soon as I stopped the rig even for a split second; then drove off with no further issues. So far, it has happened in situations where it did not, at the time, pose a threat to other traffic, but the potential is certainly there. I have never heard of a newer GC developing the wobble at higher speeds.

So I'm waiting to see what develops - still towing it and will do so until I get wind of this issue at higher speeds. Will make a decision on best course of action as things unfold. Can't afford to just dump a $55K SUV...
LostDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 04:41 AM   #119

Slow or Fast

Just curious, how many people have experienced the wobble at a speed abouve 25 MPH. In 5,000 miles of being towed, it has happened 3 times. All three were a left turn from a stop on uneven surfaces. As I have stated before, I viiew this as an inconvenience. It’s along the same lines as hitting single lane road construction with jersey barriers on both sides. Definitely uncomfortable, but won’t make me stop driving the coach.

Now, that being said, if the wobble were to happen at highway speeds, that is a completely different situation. I would be buying something else to tow very quickly.

So, slow or fast?
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 05:31 AM   #120

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPoland View Post
Just curious, how many people have experienced the wobble at a speed abouve 25 MPH. In 5,000 miles of being towed, it has happened 3 times. All three were a left turn from a stop on uneven surfaces. As I have stated before, I viiew this as an inconvenience. It’s along the same lines as hitting single lane road construction with jersey barriers on both sides. Definitely uncomfortable, but won’t make me stop driving the coach.

Now, that being said, if the wobble were to happen at highway speeds, that is a completely different situation. I would be buying something else to tow very quickly.

So, slow or fast?
I do not think that the wobble condition is speed related any more than it has to do with towbar, hitch, etc. Start of the wobble is based on timing of hitting multiple successive bumps/ruts with the right timing to set up the low-frequency vibration.

Having all those conditions occur at high speed is just rarer event, not impossible. It took years before the first high speed wobble was reported in a Cherokee, yet there are many more Cherokees being towed than GC's.

Back as early as 2012, FCA/Jeep knew about the tendency of EPS vehicles to wobble, having no hydraulics in the system to dampen vibrations which may start. They applied for a patent for the algorithm used in the software for their EPS computers; that software runs all the time when you drive your vehicle.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:53 AM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpasetto View Post
I do not think that the wobble condition is speed related any more than it has to do with towbar, hitch, etc. Start of the wobble is based on timing of hitting multiple successive bumps/ruts with the right timing to set up the low-frequency vibration.

Having all those conditions occur at high speed is just rarer event, not impossible. It took years before the first high speed wobble was reported in a Cherokee, yet there are many more Cherokees being towed than GC's.

Back as early as 2012, FCA/Jeep knew about the tendency of EPS vehicles to wobble, having no hydraulics in the system to dampen vibrations which may start. They applied for a patent for the algorithm used in the software for their EPS computers; that software runs all the time when you drive your vehicle.
My point is, I would like to know how many people have experienced the wobble at highway speed. I would tend to believe that that situation is much more dangerous than a low speed wobble. I have only read one one person on this thread or others about towing the GC that experienced a high speed wobble. I towed my 15 Cherokee for about 3,000 miles and never experienced the wobble. I got rid of the 15 Cherokee because it liked spending more time in the dealer’s garage than mine. (Lemon law) I moved over to the GC and towed it for 18 months without an issue. I have read posts by quite a few people that seem to be along the lines of ‘ OMG THE SKY IS FALLING. MASS DESTRUCTION IS IMMINENT’. I’m just trying to get a handle on what others are experiencing.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 01:47 PM   #122

New Plan - Jeep Grand Cherokee EPS Wobble

According to all of the information that I have received from GC owners, only 2 have reported the wobble at “approximately” 25 miles per hour. The balance of reports have been at slow speed. But I do agree that we don’t know the potential damage to the towing equipment.

Since my efforts with FCA have not been successful with a solution, my current objective is to let perspective owners / buyers know of the issue so that they can make an educated decision. I made mine. Decided to never tow the Summit and after 6 months of ownership, traded for a JL Wrangler Rubicon

Las

For those who are still concerned with the wobble go back to post #106 and start emailing your experience directly to FCA.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:06 PM   #123

Monaco Owners Club
Has anyone else sent an email to mike.manley@fcagroup.com (from post #106)? I did a couple of days ago asking if the "Wobble" problem had been corrected on the 2019 model as I wanted to trade in my 2014. I got a call back today, no surprise here, they had no idea what I was talking about. They stated the Cherokee problem but would not acknowledge any issue with the Grand Cherokees. I accused them of ignoring it and they kept insisting there have had no complaints and knew nothing...

I suggest all of you who have had the problem send an email to this address stating your experience. It would be interesting how long they keep stating they have no complaints.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:41 PM   #124

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis_K View Post
Has anyone else sent an email to mike.manley@fcagroup.com (from post #106)? I did a couple of days ago asking if the "Wobble" problem had been corrected on the 2019 model as I wanted to trade in my 2014. I got a call back today, no surprise here, they had no idea what I was talking about. They stated the Cherokee problem but would not acknowledge any issue with the Grand Cherokees. I accused them of ignoring it and they kept insisting there have had no complaints and knew nothing...

I suggest all of you who have had the problem send an email to this address stating your experience. It would be interesting how long they keep stating they have no complaints.
Not surprised. Perhaps FCA realized they made a 'critical mistake' by honestly acknowledging the wobble problem among the 2014+ Cherokees and decided to ignore issues with the 2016+ Grand Cherokees. Now Cherokee owners are hearing that the "tow-enhancement-harness-kit" which had been provided for 2014+ Cherokees is "not applicable" to the 2019+ updated Cherokees. Could it be the same approach?

I say 'perhaps' and raise this as a question, only because there is yet no official statement from FCA. [Unless one considers "we don't know what you're talking about" as 'official'].
Old 08-17-2018, 09:02 AM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis_K View Post

OK, I finally emailed Mike Manley yesterday with this message:
========================
Dear Mr. Manley,

I'm one of the Grand Cherokee owners who have experienced the wobble problem while towing behind my motorhome. It's my understanding that this issue is a recognized problem with the Cherokee and that there is a kit available to correct the problem. It's also my understanding that FCA continues to deny or ignore the possibility that this issue exists with the Grand Cherokee.

Please be assured that the issue exists with the Grand Cherokee. I have personally experienced the wobble on numerous occasions. PLEASE STOP IGNORING THIS ISSUE!!! The problem happens for the same reason it happens on the Cherokee - All electric power steering which lacks the hydraulic damping effect of conventional power steering. This needs to be addressed before someone is MAIMED or KILLED!!

As many owners have reported, the issue typically occurs during or immediately after a sharp turn either left or right over uneven surfaces and continues until the motorhome is brought to a complete stop followed by starting off in a straight line. GOD help us if it ever occurs at highway speeds!

Further, even if/when a fix is made available I will expect FCA to provide the fix at no charge to the owners.

My Grand Cherokee is a 2017 Trail Hawk, otherwise a fine automobile!
========================

...and received this in reply:

========================
Good Morning Mr. Nelson,

Mr. Manley received your email and forwarded it on to me for review. We apologize for the problems you’re having with your Jeep Grand Cherokee and would like to look into this further, however, we will require some additional information. At you convenience, can you please provide me with the following pieces of information:

* Last (8) characters of your vehicle identification number

* Current Mileage

* A phone number were you can be reached during the week.

Once I receive your information, either myself or someone on my team will be in contact with you next week, to discuss things further.

Thank you

Mike MacDonald
Executive Referrals Manager
Fiat Chrysler Automobiles

Office: 586.274.8085

Mobile: 248.376.8340

Fax: 586.497.1294

Email: Mike.MacDonald@FCAGroup.com
========================

I plan to reply with the requested info and I urge everyone else to contact Mr. MacDonald. Las, could you forward your spreadsheet to him as well?

Best Regards..
Ol_Opa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 09:22 AM   #126

New Plan - Jeep Grand Cherokee EPS Wobble

Ol Opa. Since Nov.2017 my contact was Steve Stander. You are the second member to receive a response from Mike MacDonald and he has confirmed that FCA is working on a solution.

Keep sending the emails. The GC needs an answer.

I will forward the contact information to FMCA and get the final version of the spreadsheet sent to FCA