Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2018, 03:29 AM   #85

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSteve View Post
Has anybody with a new JL Wrangler experienced this wobble yet?
Does the JL Wrangler now have EPS? or it it still equipped with hydraulic PS?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2018, 05:48 AM   #86

rpasetto , there are a few other threads on the subject but the short version is that the JK steering was mechanically driven hydraulic steering whereas the JL is electronically driven hydraulic steering. Neither would be active during towing.
Old 05-28-2018, 07:05 AM   #87

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lass View Post
rpasetto , there are a few other threads on the subject but the short version is that the JK steering was mechanically driven hydraulic steering whereas the JL is electronically driven hydraulic steering. Neither would be active during towing.
"Electro-Hydraulic systems" which use an electronic control system and an electrically driven PS pump will (hopefully) be OK as the hydraulics should provide the damping of vibration. Even in a mechanical-hydraulic system, the PS pump is off while it's being towed.

Perhaps FCA will go back to engineering this system for the next GC update. Meanwhile I haven't heard anything about the technical aspects of the FCA project to provide a GC fix. The KL (Cherokee) fix is relatively simplistic. It just activates the the EPS computer which has software that "mitigates" wobble during normal running/driving.

I know lot of GC owners out there who'd like to see the solution soon. Hope for the best for you.
Old 06-30-2018, 01:02 PM   #88

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
My 2017 GC Limited has been towed less than 6K miles, no wobble. Many turns at low speed including a very sharp 180 on dirt road. I’m wondering if towbar geometry has an effect. I’m using a drop hitch so BlueOx baseplate and Avail towbar are level. Would be interesting if anyone with same setup had wobble.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 01:27 PM   #89

Butte64. I have a list of over 40 Grand Cherokee owners with their specific towing set up and it doesn’t make any difference. In reading some of these threads, owner have towed for 15K miles before the wobble happened. As long as your set up is level to mfg specification, the brand doesn’t matter Demco, Blue Ox, Roadmaster have all experienced the problem.
Old 07-01-2018, 12:52 AM   #90

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lass View Post
Butte64. I have a list of over 40 Grand Cherokee owners with their specific towing set up and it doesn’t make any difference. In reading some of these threads, owner have towed for 15K miles before the wobble happened. As long as your set up is level to mfg specification, the brand doesn’t matter Demco, Blue Ox, Roadmaster have all experienced the problem.

And at least 1 that has towed over 15k without a problem, but we are NOT telling the coach or GC that, it is our little Secret!

Btw, lass, is there any correlation to having a charge line connected?
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 05:51 AM   #91

DrDaveMD. We have not seen any correlation with the charge line. It will maintain the battery but still doesn’t tie into the steering.
I had previously posted that I traded the Summit for a new JLU Rubicon and here’s the ironic part. Rumors are the the JL will have a harness in a few week. The GC just waits for one.
Old 07-01-2018, 07:39 PM   #92

Alpine Owners Club
Lass, I feel that at some point we will find a correlation to a little suspected part or connection, we just have to keep digging, thanks for your efforts.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 09:42 PM   #93

We recently switched from a 16 Cherokee Trailhawk to a 17 grand Cherokee Trailhawk. I had the flat tow harness installed on the last one. I am disappointed to now see that the JGC suffers fro the same issue. I will stay tuned for a solution...
I just finished the base plate install today. If i get the wobble i will report back on that as well.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:31 AM   #94

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDaveMA View Post
Lass, I feel that at some point we will find a correlation to a little suspected part or connection, we just have to keep digging, thanks for your efforts.
The one part is the EPS. Many 2014+ Cherokee owners went through the same thing a few years earlier. We went through towbar, baseplate, angle, motorhome, or how tight/lose the towbar was... but the common factor was very simply the lack of hydraulic damping in the Cherokee steering system. Through the research done, one owner discovered that FCA had applied for a patent on the software in their EPS which counters the wobble during normal driving; the famed "tow harness" fix came out later.

On the Grand Cherokee, reports of the wobble tendency began in the year that the GC switched their design to EPS.
Old 07-02-2018, 09:32 AM   #95

Thor Owners Club
OK. I am now a believer. I finally experienced the "wobble" this weekend after over 7,000 trouble-free tow miles.

We exited I-70 westbound in Topeka, KS at "Carnahans Ave." Stopped at the stop sign. Had to turn left. This is a fairly hard left turn after crossing around a small dirt median. The pavement is fairly rough with a few potholes. I might have steered slightly right before turning hard left to make sure back tire of the coach cleared the curb on the median. As soon as I started to straighten out, I got a shaking that reminded me of having a flat tire on an old Volkswagen. Man! I probably pulled the JGC for about 100 yards with this shaking.

However...I did not panic. I just stopped for a few seconds and then pulled straight ahead. No more shaking. The JGC pulled smoothly and had no further problems with the two left hand turns in the next mile going into the RV park.

Even though I always believed this could happen, the long time I have been towing had lulled me into a state of complacency. This event made this problem very real. Nevertheless, I have even more confidence that this will not happen at speed.

The 'wobble' seems to coincide with sharp turns and major bumps in the pavement. My feeling is that the lack of damping in the steering system allows disturbances as you find on bumpy roads to overcome the 'normal' stabilizing inputs.
Big_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 09:37 AM   #96

Newmar Owners Club
There is a "Bush'Fix" for the wobble. Use bungy cords and tie them to the steering wheel and then route them around the back of the driver's seat.We had to do this with our former Cherokee until we got the wire harness installed. It works as a "patch solution"
Carefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 09:49 AM   #97

Ford Super Duty Owner
Big Boy
I experienced my first wobble right around 7000 miles and did it twice in the same day. If you complain to Jeep they send a nice letter saying don't tow 4 down but all 4 on a trailer. Nice CYA...
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 01:28 AM   #98

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm sorry but I think this Death Wobble thing is because those that tow don't have their toad setup properly.
I have towed mine across country and back thru various terrains without issue. But I have mine setup properly; the MH does not lift the front end of the Toad, there is no clunking/sway In the tow bar and my tow bar system (Roadmaster) has the cross brace across the front of the car to complete the triangle and ensure the Toad frame does not flex.

And just to let you know the facts, it's NOT just Jeeps, its any car or truck with an EPS. The main reason why you seem only hear about it with Jeeps is because of their popularity.