Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2020, 05:21 PM   #267

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lass View Post
Vinny, I just don't see where you are trying to go with your arguments. My post refers specifically to any and all Jeep Grand Cherokee's from model year 2016 and forward. That said, I have documented all units from the Limited, Trailhawk, Overland, & Summits and to be clear, from only 2016 forward. Again, Grand Cherokee,s only.

The numbers are apples to apples with no other variations involved. No oranges, grapes or any other type of fruit. I don't use use analogies about pace makers, or Boeing 737,s. Only the Grand Cherokee.
Lass,

I swore I was not going to stay on this forum because I don't have the problem and have not had it. Your first statement on the above quoted described my comments as "arguments" .

I'm not here to argue with anyone. I'm going to give you some suggestions as to what you should put into your spreadsheet and you can do as you like.

Everyone keeps missing some important items. Just in three Grand Cherokee's Limited, Summit and Overland there are three different tire sizes from 17" to 20" low profile. On Limited, Overland, and Summit versions, a Quadra-Lift air suspension can raise ride height from 6.4 to 11.3 inches. That's almost 5 inches.

Like I have said there are way too many variables to just point the finger at any one JEEP Grand Cherokee. Air pressure of all four tires, type of tires as in all season, winter, off road, profile of the tires, wheel size, type of suspension, Tow plate manufacturer, Tow bar manufacturer, style of the tow bar not just the brand (Blue Ox alone makes eight different Tow Bars currently), is there anything hanging off the back of JEEP, is the JEEP caring anything in it, does the JEEP have an adjustable air ride or has it been lifted. Hopefully if folks report everything accurately and there will be a common thread some place.

Several hundred out of over a million built is never going to get JEEPS attention. That I'm afraid is a hard fact. Jump up and down, threaten to sue or what ever isn't going to do any good.

The best results will come from determining what is actually causing it on the JEEPS it is doing it on and seeing what can be done to eliminate it.
2016 Dutch Star 4018 Newmar #605899
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2020, 08:57 AM   #268

Count me as one of the 2017 Grand Cherokee (Overland) owners who experienced this in the first 300 miles of towing. I was very glad to have read something about it before it happened, so as soon as I felt it I knew what to look for (backup camera, front of Jeep shaking wildly after left turn from a stop.) Wish I had read about it BEFORE buying the Jeep, and especially now that I read that there is no fix forthcoming from FCA.

Lots of people on other forums suggesting I somehow (myself?) install wiring to keep the EPS energized, and another to keep the battery charged, but I'd be afraid to do that; I'd want the Jeep dealership to do it.
humpndunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 10:26 AM   #269

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by humpndunk View Post
Count me as one of the 2017 Grand Cherokee (Overland) owners who experienced this in the first 300 miles of towing. I was very glad to have read something about it before it happened, so as soon as I felt it I knew what to look for (backup camera, front of Jeep shaking wildly after left turn from a stop.) Wish I had read about it BEFORE buying the Jeep, and especially now that I read that there is no fix forthcoming from FCA.

Lots of people on other forums suggesting I somehow (myself?) install wiring to keep the EPS energized, and another to keep the battery charged, but I'd be afraid to do that; I'd want the Jeep dealership to do it.
I wouldn't recommend you take the chance which might possibly be used by FCA to claim you voided the warranty. FCA used to supply a wiring kit for their early model KL Cherokees, at that time they were the only towed Jeeps equiped with EPS. FCA Already knows their EPS designs had inherent wobble (low frequency vibration) issues. However they do not recommend such a kit for the WK2 Grand Cherokee; they may already have tried that and failed... or.... their attorneys recommended they just ignore the issue.
Old 08-21-2020, 11:57 AM   #270

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This thread is like the Energizer bunny - just keeps going and going...
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 01:00 PM   #271

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Preventing the Problem

I have been towing a 2019 Grand Cherokee Overland for about 18 months now over several thousands of miles with no wobble problem.

Rather than beat on JT's horse any longer, for those who are either concerned about the problem or may have experienced it, I uploaded a [rather long] forum message I posted about 11 months ago covering my method for helping to prevent the wobble problem on the Grand Cherokee (WK2) models.

The file was just uploaded to the forum "files section" HERE. I hope this helps someone either prevent the problem, or at least better understand it. Please forgive the spelling error in the title.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 10:51 PM   #272

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_M View Post
The file was just uploaded to the forum "files section" HERE. I hope this helps someone either prevent the problem, or at least better understand it. Please forgive the spelling error in the title.
2016 Dutch Star 4018 Newmar #605899
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 06:22 AM   #273

Quote:
Thank Rob, I'll file this away now and move on with my life.
humpndunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 07:41 AM   #274

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I have been towing a 2019 Grand Cherokee Overland for about 18 months now over several thousands of miles with no wobble problem.

Rather than beat on JT's horse any longer, for those who are either concerned about the problem or may have experienced it, I uploaded a [rather long] forum message I posted about 11 months ago covering my method for helping to prevent the wobble problem on the Grand Cherokee (WK2) models.

After having two I brought my 2017 GC into the dealer and he checked over the entire suspension and check alignment and less than two months later I had another wobble. My tow bar is level and all connects are tight. My fear is damaging the welds or frame and causing the toad to detach.
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 07:55 AM   #275

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
After having two I brought my 2017 GC into the dealer and he checked over the entire suspension and check alignment and less than two months later I had another wobble. My tow bar is level and all connects are tight. My fear is damaging the welds or frame and causing the toad to detach.
You raise a good point here and I think it applies to many of the "wobble-prone" EPS vehicles as well as the WK2-GC. While manufacturers of towbars and baseplates obviously design their products to handle lateral &vertical forces from bumps, ruts, etc. it's important to know their position on the repetivive low frequency vibration we all know as""wobble".

Safe travels.
Old 08-22-2020, 08:16 AM   #276

2018 GC High Altitude
New tires 20” (same tire as factory) <3000 miles
Fresh alignment with new tires
39,000 miles on GC
Blue Ox with baseplate level with tow bar

We experience the issue primarily with left turns onto interstates when uneven surfaces are involved. Occurs with speeds between 5-15 mph. Will happen at least once a trip. Approximately 20 total occurrences over two years, 25,000 miles of pulling TOAD.

Now, it is anticipated with slow left turns, therefore we are prepared to immediately slow and get over.

Why so much more prevalent with left turns?
DanDeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 09:45 AM   #277

I am buying a 2021 Grand Cherokee Limited (actually 80th Anniversary model based on the Limited).

I have ony read 5 pages of the 20 pages of posts on this thread so far.

With the electric steering, would a bungie cord from steering wheel to low point assist in decreasing wobble possibiity? Or with electronic steering no help at all?
drw907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 09:55 AM   #278

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Bungie cord would not help. Nowhere near strong enough to resist forces from towing. Keeping front tires properly inflated, and in alignment, and making slow turns as wide as possible, will help more. I have a 2019 model. That's what I do and I have never experienced the problem.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if they fixed the problem by now and just didn't announce it. The official company position is that there NEVER WAS a problem with the Grand Cherokees.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 05:10 AM   #279

2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland. I experienced the death wobble 3 or 4 times after straitening out of a 90 degree turn (coming from a stop). If I stop and take off again this corrects the issue. My concern is if someone coming up from behind me can't stop.
Dan104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 03:21 PM   #280

Alpine Owners Club
I have a 2016 GC Limited with somewhere around 30,000 miles towing. Level RoadMaster tow bar with SMI braking and a charge line. I have been in 49 states and 8 Provinces with it without an incident of wobble. I hope I having broken my luck!
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote