Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2012, 05:26 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
New Supplemental Brake System

If my current Blue Ox brake system can't be repaired, I will have to buy a new system. At the risk of sounding silly, am I restricted to buying another Blue Ox system or can I buy any system? My TOAD (Jeep) is already wired so I was wondering if any system would work. I don't have another system in mind but the Blue Ox is more than I would like to pay although they all seem to be in the same general price range.
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2012, 06:56 PM   #2

You might look at the Ready Brake - doesn't use much wiring. I use one, but I bought it because it seems to be so popular among others using it.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:02 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
You might look at the Ready Brake - doesn't use much wiring. I use one, but I bought it because it seems to be so popular among others using it.
To go to a Ready Brake you would have to buy a new complete towbar. Since our rig has air brakes I went with a RoadMaster BrakeMaster 9160
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:46 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
To go to a Ready Brake you would have to buy a new complete towbar.
That is incorrect. You can buy a Ready Brake supplemental brake or the ReadyBrute Elite, which is a towbar with brake incorporated. From their website FAQs:

Will the Ready Brake work with other brands of tow bars?

Yes we offer two different types of Ready Brakes one to hook to any receiver style tow bar the RB-4000 and the other to hook to any Ball style tow bars the RB-4000 B with these two supplemental brake systems any tow bars will be able to utilize our Ready Brake system.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:36 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
To go to a Ready Brake you would have to buy a new complete towbar. Since our rig has air brakes I went with a RoadMaster BrakeMaster 9160
My rig has air brakes as well. Though the Ready BRUTE IS a complete tow bar/brake all built into one unit, there's another plan which might be described as the Ready Brake module only. It basically extends the receiver by about 14" or so, has all the braking components built into it. This leaves you with a 2" square opening to plug in any towbar you'd like?

If you have your toad lights rigged already, this would leave you running just the cable to the brake pedal to complete the installation.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:52 AM   #6

Dont want to start a new thread but I am looking for a Brake Supplement system. We have a 2005 Trailblazer behind or Tiffin 43 with a blue ox towbar. I just bought a new Chevy Tahoe and am getting ready to have the Blue ox installed on it as well, does anyone have any comments on the Blue ox apollo system? The Tahoe is going to be my regular everyday vehicle as well.
mickandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:19 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden View Post
If my current Blue Ox brake system can't be repaired, I will have to buy a new system. At the risk of sounding silly, am I restricted to buying another Blue Ox system or can I buy any system?
golden, Consider if you will the out of sight out of mind never touch again benefits on having an SMI Stay and Play DUO.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake