Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2012, 10:20 AM   #1

New to motorhoming

HELP! We purchased our first motorhome, but have had a 5th wheel for years, so not totally unfamiliar with RVing. I am trying to find a toad to flat tow, but am getting very frustrated! Can't afford new. Every vehical I look up either can't be towed flat or requires extra add-ons. REMCO has changed their site and do not have all the information up yet. Any ideas? Any other application sites to check besides REMCO?
jackhos is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2012, 10:24 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
What is your criteria for the vehicle? Any Jeep can be flat towed.
ScoobyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:31 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Used to be any standard shift vehicle could be towed but that I beleive has changed. There is a Toads & Motorhomes related towing section on this forum and you might want to post the question there.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:34 AM   #4

As Mike says, Jeeps and most other 4X4s can be flat towed without a pump, a lot of smaller GM FWDs only require a fuse removal to flat tow.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:40 AM   #5

Welcome to the forum jackhos. A Saturn is a good option. all I do is hook it up, put it in N and full one fuse and hit the road. Couldn't be happier with the car. And it is a automatic!
Old 10-14-2012, 11:05 AM   #6

Try this link. They have a Dinghy Towing Guide that covers most vehicles on the market.

Dinghy Towing Guide | MotorHome Magazine
Old 10-14-2012, 01:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyMike View Post
What is your criteria for the vehicle? Any Jeep can be flat towed.

The vehical should be an SUV, 4X4, with 4 doors. I found a 2010 Jeep Liberty Sport and checked it out on REMCO who said it would need a lub pump. I had been told that Jeeps are the easiest to set-up for towing, but REMCO doesn't think so!
jackhos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhos

The vehical should be an SUV, 4X4, with 4 doors. I found a 2010 Jeep Liberty Sport and checked it out on REMCO who said it would need a lub pump. I had been told that Jeeps are the easiest to set-up for towing, but REMCO doesn't think so!
I think if you research further, you'll find that the 4 wheel drive Jeep Liberty with the shiftable transfer case do not require any modifications to flat tow. Read the owners manual of the '10 model you are looking at in regard to recreational towing. Our '12 Liberty tows very well and we are very happy with it. Tow ability is the number one reason we bought that specific vehicle. We towed a '00 Jeep Wrangler previously, which was just as easy. We switched for more room. Still have the wrangler and will tow it sometimes depending on trip requirements. Don't rule out the Liberty until you are sure. There is a reason sixty plus percent of toads are Jeeps.
HabitatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:42 PM   #9

I tow a 2010 jeep liberty, just requires a tow bar. I use a blue ox and their brake system. Works fine.
Newellri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:43 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Find a good clean 2000 or 2001 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 (not a Grand Cherokee), easy to tow, last forever, flexible usages, etc.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:29 AM   #11

another towable, any honda accord/civic pre 2003 auto or manual can be towed 4 down. Lots of contrivercy with this but have thousands on my accord auto behind the rolling t@%d
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:20 AM   #12

Towing

Hello as well as yourself we traded in our 5er for a Motor Home and I bought a used 2008 Chevy Avalanche 4x4 no fuses to pull no extra lube pump. Start engine put in to N set parking brake Turn transfer knob to "N" put in park shut off engine remove key and release parking brake and the way you go
Old 10-15-2012, 05:52 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
The Chevrolet HHR is towable without modifications. It was last made in 2011 but who wants to tow a new vehicle anyway.
slapfoot is offline   Reply With Quote