RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-14-2019, 02:56 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
New to towing - 40' MH and 7x14 Tandem Enclosed Trailer

Hi everyone,

I'm new to towing with a motorhome. I have a 40' DP MH and just got a 7x14 tandem enclosed trailer with brakes. I have experience in towing with my truck, but this is a new thing and a new length for me. Im all hooked up with the technical components with the brake controller and everything already.

What I'm looking for is any insight, tips, advice, etc for towing, backing up, parking, and all of the new and potentially intimidating factors that come along with being nearly 60' long now.

I've considered putting a backup camera on the back of the trailer and running it up to my dash to hook into my current backup system.

But anyways, I appreciate your time and safe travels!

Justin
JPaTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2019, 03:33 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPaTV View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm new to towing with a motorhome. I have a 40' DP MH and just got a 7x14 tandem enclosed trailer with brakes. I have experience in towing with my truck, but this is a new thing and a new length for me. Im all hooked up with the technical components with the brake controller and everything already.

What I'm looking for is any insight, tips, advice, etc for towing, backing up, parking, and all of the new and potentially intimidating factors that come along with being nearly 60' long now.

I've considered putting a backup camera on the back of the trailer and running it up to my dash to hook into my current backup system.

But anyways, I appreciate your time and safe travels!

Justin

How long is the trailer tongue? Mine was too short to really work. I had to have it extended. It was fine behind a pickup, but the rv is so much wider that I could jackknife the trailer while moving forward. My setup is a little shorter than yours - a 26' rv with a 22' trailer. But I haven't had any other real surprises adapting from towing with a truck to towing with a motorhome.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:47 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Wow thats a great point -- I'll have to look actually. How did you go about having the tongue extended?

How much did the job cost?
Old 05-14-2019, 04:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Wow thats a great point -- I'll have to look actually. How did you go about having the tongue extended?

How much did the job cost?

It was expensive. Cost me $1000. I just took it to a local trailer place. They cut off the original coupler, and while in a 5' long piece of 3" square tubing, tying it back in near the trailer deck. It was a 16" overall extension, so I'm all good now. They did a nice job.
Old 05-14-2019, 04:51 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Very interesting. and, MAN! I just spent 4k on the trailer lol! I wonder what kind of weight differential one of those extended hitches can support for now. I really would love to keep the trailer shorter as I use my truck to tow it also sometimes. I'd like to avoid modifying the trailer unless absolutely necessary.
Old 05-15-2019, 07:26 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I added a second camera aimed just at the hitch allows for perfect hook up first time. Original camera useful in preventing jackknife. Practice backing to know your limits.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:39 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkesselus View Post
I added a second camera aimed just at the hitch allows for perfect hook up first time. Original camera useful in preventing jackknife. Practice backing to know your limits.

Thats a great idea! And absolutely, I plan on getting it out over the next week or so to practice backing up.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Very interesting. and, MAN! I just spent 4k on the trailer lol! I wonder what kind of weight differential one of those extended hitches can support for now. I really would love to keep the trailer shorter as I use my truck to tow it also sometimes. I'd like to avoid modifying the trailer unless absolutely necessary.
I understand, and I feel your pain. You might not have a problem, particularly if your trailer is a V-nose setup. Or if it's not as wide as my trailer. Mine is a full 8'6" wide. So, a narrower trailer would also help. If you wanted to ease your mind more quickly, you could kinda do it with a tape measure. Your motorhome is probably 8'6" wide, so put a tape measure at your ball with 4'3" of tape sticking out. Then you can rotate that around the ball to see where it would first make contact with the trailer. If it's a very sharp turn before it would hit, then you're probably fine.

On the extension I had done, it doesn't affect the towing with the truck. You of course now have to store something that's longer. And it means I'm going to have to completely re-work my weight distributing setup. Other than that, all is well. I'm hoping this picture posts. The middle beam is completely new--the trailer used to just have the 2 pieces of 5" C-channel. They cut off the coupler, stuck in that new square tube, and tied it in under the trailer deck, at an already-existing cross plate, and where the C-channels came together (where the original coupler was). I hope that makes sense.

https://imgur.com/a/R2CUNu2

Tags
tow, towing, trailer