Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2017, 07:18 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
New (to us) Toad

Well, my little Civic Toad that I loved so much was totaled a couple of weeks ago. Not while being towed. My son was driving it when a big SUV going the opposite direction turned left in front of him. Head-on collision and SUV won.

The good news is that my son was only banged up, no serious injuries. His gf riding in the passenger seat got a concussion, spent two nights in the hospital, but two weeks later, she is feeling much better.

Bought a 2014 CR-V today to replace the 2011 Civic. Need to get a baseplate and wiring, breakaway cable, etc installed. Hope to be ready for our next trip at Christmas.

Regards.

Chuck
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2017, 08:57 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
sorry to hear about the loss but glad to hear your son is OK! Good luck with the new toad and happy glamping!
Old 12-02-2017, 01:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Conditioned Gypsy View Post
Well, my little Civic Toad that I loved so much was totaled a couple of weeks ago. Not while being towed. My son was driving it when a big SUV going the opposite direction turned left in front of him. Head-on collision and SUV won.

The good news is that my son was only banged up, no serious injuries. His gf riding in the passenger seat got a concussion, spent two nights in the hospital, but two weeks later, she is feeling much better.

Bought a 2014 CR-V today to replace the 2011 Civic. Need to get a baseplate and wiring, breakaway cable, etc installed. Hope to be ready for our next trip at Christmas.

Regards.

Chuck
Chuck
There are a few things to think about (RoadMaster or Blue Ox) I like the RoadMaster setup.
https://www.etrailer.com/towbar-2014_Honda_CR-V.htm
I had the installer supply the wiring setup.
Your coach has air brakes so I would get the Air Force One, works great EZ setup.
https://www.etrailer.com/Tow-Bar-Bra...I/SM99243.html
Then if you need a tow bar (RoadMaster or Blue Ox)
I went with the BlackHawk 10K because my Edge wt is 5K
https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Tow...unt_Style.aspx
Cables I went with these, work great on the RoadMaster setup
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...er/RM-655.html
All Free Shipping
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 10:01 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks guys for the info and good wishes!

2 Stroker - did you do the installation yourself or did you use a shop for the AFO install?

Regards.

Chuck
Old 12-03-2017, 12:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Conditioned Gypsy View Post
Thanks guys for the info and good wishes!

2 Stroker - did you do the installation yourself or did you use a shop for the AFO install?

Regards.

Chuck
Chuck
I ordered everything from e'trailer great service and if you find another place on line for less $$$$, they will refund the difference plus 10% within 30 days and it worked. The wiring supplied by installer and had one place install everything.
Like I said I like the RoadMaster set up and I leave the cross bar on, keeps others from hitting the front of the car in parking lots.
You should add your location in your sig so others can help on locations if needed. Here on the west coast most of the good installers and places to work on coaches is in the Junction City area.
2 stroker
Old 12-03-2017, 08:51 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I have used Blue Ox base plate and tow bar and have been satisfied. Will likely get the BOx base plate installed on the CR-V at the place where we store the coach, NIVRC. They put the base plate on the Civic and did a good job.

I looked at the AFO install videos and figured it was beyond my capability. But, will likely use that system. I wonder if going to SMI for a "factory install" (not that far away from us) is worth the trip or use local guys - NIRVC is a dealer for SMI.

Chuck

PS - 2 Stroker - I added location to my sig.
Old 12-03-2017, 09:02 PM   #7

I would give them a call. I have talked to them on the phone about my system. It is always good to know where someone lives to give a lending hand.
2 stroker
Old 12-04-2017, 04:21 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Called SMI today, but Demco answered. Apparently Demco bought SMI sometime earlier this year. Found out that the Newburgh Indiana SMI office has been shut down and operations moved to somewhere in Iowa - he told me the town, but I don't remember it. Looks like the local guys will be doing the install - Iowa is a bit too far for me.

Regards

Chuck
Old 12-04-2017, 04:46 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
If I remember correctly the 2014 CRV requires the key to be left on in the accessory position. The CRV is a popular toad and there are two ways to keep battery from draining - one - run a charge line from the motor home including a correctly sized inline fuse to protect wire, - two - remove fuses 28 and 29 (pls confirm numbers, going from memory, one 7.5A & one 10A) from the engine bay fuse box. These are the same ones that are removed when shipped from factory to prevent battery from dying. It disables the interior lights and GPS/Stereo screen/monitor/clock. With the satellite GPS it resets itself after a couple of minutes of re-powering up. Confirm it works for your vehicle please.

Edit - they are the two fused outlined in the white rectangular square on the diagram printed on the underside of the engine bay fuse box lid.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	maxresdefault.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	184699  
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 05:30 PM   #10

Brian, you are right about leaving the key in the ACC position and installing a charge line.
But changing the OEM group 51 battery to a group 24F will ensure you will not have any dead battery issues. It is NOT necessary to pull fuses.
Go to your Honda dealer and get a new battery tray for a 2014 Odessy. Remove the old battery and tray. Install the new tray and group 24F battery. Done.

Simple as falling off a log but not near as dangerous.
Old 12-04-2017, 05:42 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Brian, you are right about leaving the key in the ACC position and installing a charge line.
But changing the OEM group 51 battery to a group 24F will ensure you will not have any dead battery issues. It is NOT necessary to pull fuses.
Go to your Honda dealer and get a new battery tray for a 2014 Odessy. Remove the old battery and tray. Install the new tray and group 24F battery. Done.

Simple as falling off a log but not near as dangerous.
Thanks Dennis - there are now three ways to resolve the charge issue, lol.

My BIL has the CRV and his charge line crapped out going down south this year, and we resorted to pulling the fuses until we got down to warm weather where we could rewire the TOAD charge wire.

You are correct, there is no NEED to pull the fuses with a functioning charge line, I simply offered an alternate way to get by without a charge line, if the OP so chose that route.

Brian
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 07:34 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Yes, the ignition key in CR-V has to be left in the ACC position when towing. I intend to use a charge line. BUT might also put in the bigger battery when the one in it craps out.

We like the CR-V. My wife's car is a 2016 CR-V. And I have a Pilot. But neither one of them are towable due to the transmissions they have. There's only a couple of ways to stop a Honda - get caught in a flood or have a major wreck.... They will keep going through *most* other things.

Thanks Guys.

Chuck
Old 12-16-2017, 07:49 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Guys,

I decided to go with the M&G supplemental brakes. CR-V is in the shop now getting it installed. Works similarly to the SMI, but the piston pushes the master cylinder, rather than the brake pedal.

So, the CR-V has Blue Ox baseplate, trickle charge off the coach connection, and M&G brakes. Should be all set.

I really miss my little Civic...

Regards.

Chuck
Old 12-17-2017, 06:00 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Semi driver hung a left in front of him... Humm. sounds like a case for Dewy, Cheatum & Howe (Fictional law firm, I think from 3 Stooges) or the real life competitors.

Glad to hear everyone survived.. However a word of caution. Injuries can take up to a year to fully develop from the time of CRASH! (or at least that's the rules we followed back in my days as a police dispatcher) so there may be complications Mostly for the GF.

A friend of mine took like 3 years off work after doctors missed something easily fixed following a traffic accident. Then a week after returning to work.. She had to take 2 more off due to a non-related serious medical condition.. Boss said NO (Giving her the choice of her job or her life) I saved one of 'em cause... I know stuff (Stuff the on site steward, and the steward at large, either did not know or had forgoten).

Tags
toad