Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2012, 01:33 PM   #1

New toad

Taking delivery on a 2012 Enclave AWD next week and have the tow bar and all the rest on order with a well respected shop to do the set up. We are right at GVW on the coach and the Enclave curb weight is 4900. This puts us at the limits on GVW and GCWR. Makes me a little nervous but that is the weight they gave to work with right? I could always keep the water down to a quarter full and the fuel is only full for a short time.. I will post to let you know how it pulls. I have a Berkshire 390 RB 340. Sometimes wish I had the 360 but don't so it will have to do.. I really do enjoy driving the MH and I'm happy at 65 in the slow lane.
Also what do you use to avoid stone chips or is that not a issue?
phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2012, 05:55 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
This covers all the bases.

Max towable weight is determined by the LESSER OF:

1. GCWR minus actual loaded coach weight.

2. Chassis manufacturers towing rating.

3. Coach manufacturers towing rating (may have done something to the coach which reduces the chassis manufacturer's towing capacity)

4. Hitch rating

Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:29 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are a lot of different systems, gravel guards, tow bar nets, vehicle bras, windshield covers, etc. There are pros and cons with each system . I have experienced a lot of gravel damage to my 2007 HHR toad requiring one repaint of the hood so far. I just recently started to use a Blue Ox gravel guard plus a windshield cover. I decided on a gravel guard instead of a bra for the following reasons: A bra is a hassle to put on so the tendency is to leave it on for long periods of time. This can result in your paint getting sanded from the grit and dirt that gets trapped in between the bra and paint. Also, the car should be clean before installing the bra. This is not always practical when travelling. Even if the car is wet and dirty, a gravel guard can be installed or removed without much effort. I then use a windshield cover, but only if I am able to clean and dry the windshield first. The cover is very easy to use.
I was told by a mechanic once that the easiest and cheapest system is to use nothing! Just repaint your hood and bumper after 5 years! Considering the costs of all the accessories, this might be good advise!

Cheers,

Knightly
Knightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:39 PM   #4

We use a Roadmaster Guardian gravel shield and we have a clear bra. Used this same setup on the previous toad and it works well.

About curb weight. This is the weight of the make/model with no options. The more options, the more above curb weight it will be. The only way to know for sure is to weigh the vehicle.

We wanted an Enclave but our hitch is 5000# and the AWD Enclave we wanted accross the scale with 1/4 fuel was 4930. With more fuel and the weight of the towbar, baseplate, Guardian, etc was going to put us over 5000# so we went with the Edge which went accross the scale at 4500#
sandpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:06 AM   #5

I know we will be close on the enclave but we need to keep GM for peace in the family. We got the AWD and will just keep the gas low and not use it for storage. Several folks have sent PM's saying that have used for a toad and love it. They hardly know its back there. And this was Berkshire folks with the same hp. As long as its at or below 5000 I have no problem with it. My coach will be around 500 lbs over weight with or without the toad. I'm working on that. Even of I stay over or close I feel comfortable the coach drives smooth and no issues with handling. The ofer weight if about 1.7% over. I love to speed in everything but my MH. I set the cruse at 62-64 in a 70 or 53 in a 55 and just enjoy the trip. I have major issues with my neck and we stop often. So lots of cool down time. I would go crazy before my surgery at that pace but know I'm just happy to be doing Italy all. Good luck with the Edge safe travels and let us know if your going to Goshen rally.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:15 AM   #6

I was told that most of the gravel is kicked up by the mud flap being to low and keeps touching the ground and kicking up stones
I'm going to raise mine and pull the bottom back to try and keep this from happening. I saw several MH that did that his weekend and their toads looked great
Two had been to Alaska and took the mud flap off looked good not sure about that.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil57
I was told that most of the gravel is kicked up by the mud flap being to low and keeps touching the ground and kicking up stones
I'm going to raise mine and pull the bottom back to try and keep this from happening. I saw several MH that did that his weekend and their toads looked great
Two had been to Alaska and took the mud flap off looked good not sure about that.
We are using t
Road master gear and haven't decided on the brake system. What do you think is the best for the Enclave.