Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2012, 04:19 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
New toad 2012 gmc terrain

Well I traded in my Chevy avalanche that I just bought in July so we could pull our 2012 outback that we bought in June and had used 8 times , little did I know that when I went to Campingworld to buy toilet paper I would end up walking out with a 2007 Winnebago j-35. And of course it would not pull that heavy avalanche and our second car is a MR2 spider convertible that only seats 2, wich is useless for anything but riding around town. So I bought a brand new 2012 gmc terrain loaded with everything, now this morning I will be taking it into the hitch store to get it rigged up so I can dinghy tow it. Fun fun fun. Any tips on the type of towing system to get for it?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-312439857.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	18481
Rsanchez24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2012, 06:43 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Got any extra toilet paper we could borrow?

Congrats on both the Winnie and the GMC. May you enjoy many happy (s)miles in both.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:48 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
We installed Roadmaster baseplate and a Falcon tow bar. Useing Blue Ox Patriot brake system. I also added light bulbs in the taillights, no diodes.
Bagger97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:03 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Rsanchez24,
Congrats on the new toad. I have towed my 05 GMC ENVOY 80K+ miles without a problem. GMC makes some great heavy duty vehicles. I use a Blue OX base plate and tow bar. The breaking system is USGEAR. Go to Unified Tow Brake and read about it.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:17 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First congrats on the new toad. I have been looking at one of those myself. For now though I'll keep dreaming. You may want to look at the Ready Brute/Barke system with the built in braking system within the tow bar. Just a thought. Good luck.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:16 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

If you're taking it to the hitch store, you're probably going to be limited to whatever products they sell. My only advice is to get some sort of supplemental braking system installed for the toad. We went with the ReadyBrute towbar with the built-in brake.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:13 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I like the Blue Ox Aventa or the Roadmaster All Terrain towbars. We have the Blue Ox on our Acadia (big brother to the Terrain). The Blue Ox base plates are a bit less obtrusive, in my opinion.

As for brakes, we use the Brakemaster system, which is an air brake type toad brake system. What you choose for type of braking system is largely a matter of preference.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:49 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
how much does that weigh? let us know how you like towing it. I will be looking for a new toad in the spring. have always towed a chevy tracker, but it is time for something new.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:04 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikf
how much does that weigh? let us know how you like towing it. I will be looking for a new toad in the spring. have always towed a chevy tracker, but it is time for something new.
3853 curb weight , I have driving for 4 days now and love it. It has everything that should do us fine while on the road. Leather seats, navigation , blue tooth phone , and we are both 6 foot 3 and the space is plenty for us.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:43 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for posting this. I've been looking at that same vehicle. Being new to towing behind an RV, is yours AWD? I was also looking at the Equinox AWD. The salesmen at the dealership were not sure about flat towing. Thanks
GoGoRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:55 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGoRV
Thanks for posting this. I've been looking at that same vehicle. Being new to towing behind an RV, is yours AWD? I was also looking at the Equinox AWD. The salesmen at the dealership were not sure about flat towing. Thanks
I researched and researched,the terrain I got is a front wheel drive with a v-6 ( only because I have a pontoon that I need to pull with it) I would of gotten the 4 cylinder if it wasn't for the boat. I looked at all the cars and cross overs and checked the owners manual in the glove box and it plainly said wether or not it could be towed all four or on a dolly. The two I liked best were the terrain and the Chevy equinox which are identical inside, the only difference was the body style.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:59 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
The next thing you have to decide is what tow bar and brake system you will use on your toad ( learned the word toad from this site also) now I have used it in a sentence, lol. Every one on here is great at helping us newbies.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:05 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
My Simba came with a tow bar and brake system. They used to tow a Saturn Vue behind it 4 down. So I have mostly everything but the plate. Camping world said it will be around $1000 to $1500 to do everything depending on the Toad I pic. I'm getting a 4 cyl AWD.
GoGoRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:40 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
My Simba came with a tow bar and brake system. They used to tow a Saturn Vue behind it 4 down. So I have mostly everything but the plate. Camping world said it will be around $1000 to $1500 to do everything depending on the Toad I pic. I'm getting a 4 cyl AWD.
That's cool. They are putting mine on. On the 26th. Luckily we are going to take the Rv to savannah for st. Patricks for 4 days , but our friends are meeting us there so we will have their cars.