Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2015, 07:06 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
New toad and braking sys.

Looking for feedback.
Just purchaced a new 2015 chevy equinox and went with the blue ox patriot braking sys.. I have read several dozen reviews, mostly good. a few complaned about problem
unwanted braking on steep grades. It seems to come from the set up, can anyone give me some feedback?
Thank you,
Al Edwards
aedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2015, 11:22 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Patroit if I'm not mistaken, is a pedal pusher box in the driver's seat system.. You should be able to adjust the "Senisitivity" down so it takes more than a steep grade to activate it.

There are a few things I do not like about those systems.. The fact you have to install it EVERY time you tow (Temptation to forget it on a short trip) the fact that every time you install anything there is a chance to screw it up (Dealer did on my tow brake system,, Different type, I had to fix but it cost me a brake job). They can grow legs if not secured when camping.

Systems like the Ready Brake or Blue Ox Auto Stop are great, quick to hook up but again you need to watch the spring tension (pre-tension) to avoid the issue you have.. Plus the cable can size up (Like a parking brake cable.. in fact it IS a parking brake cable) This will likely be my next system.

Active systems like the US GEAR Unified brake decelerator take like 2 seconds to hook up, Single installation Dealer does it (or you can)

Invisible brake is even faster to hook up (Zero seconds) and again is dealer installed hopefully properly.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:55 AM   #3

I have been using the Patriot for a few years. Went with it because it did not require any mods to the toad. After about four years, I had some issues with it not wanting to set up properly. After some discussion with Blueox on the phone, found the internal battery was kaput. Factory only replacement. Since we were on our way to Alaska, BO agreed to send me a new assembly to our next stop, prepaid, for about 1/3 the cost of a new one and I return the old one, prepaid to the factory.
The new unit has some changes to the claw making it easier to attach to the brake pedal and new software. Overall, it is a much better unit than my original which I had for about four years.
I have not had any issues with it applying the brakes on steep grades and since we live in BC, there are more than enough steep grades to contend with. I leave it on the default setting of five and find it works as advertised.
Takes about two minutes to set up or disconnect. I store it in one of my basement cabinets when not installed along with my plastic bucket of cables, pins etc for hook up. Would I buy it again? Short answer, Yes.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:55 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Braking sys.

Thanx for the replies, i talked to blue ox patriot eng. and it seems the set up is the cause of some problems. The unit must be level when set up. When traveling in areas with steep grades the sensitivity should be set back from 3 bars to 1 or 2 bars. The sensitivity is set on the box and is differant from the gain.
Thanks again,
Al Edwards
aedwards is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad