Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2017, 08:55 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek5 View Post
X2

X3 jeep
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2017, 12:28 AM   #16

Thanks again to all who made suggestions, I now have quite the homework assignment to work on. I have all of these brands around me locally and so should be able to find something that will work for us. In reference to towing the Prius, while I can't remember what the manual says, we've had no problems with ours - so far.
Upinsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 05:18 AM   #17

When I sold my tow dolly I went with the 2016 Ford Focus, auto transmission. It works well for flat towing and I'm sure it would work well for a tow dolly. It has room for our dogs (they are small dogs) and gets good gas mileage.
Dippytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 07:14 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
We flat tow a Chevy Sonic automatic and its great. Can also be dollied.
Just now getting set up to tow a 2015 Sonic RS hatchback 6 spd manual on an ACME dolly. At this time, $1k for a practially new dolly was cheaper than $3500 or so for a 4 down system and I could not get that installed in the required time frame.
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 05:53 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiDudi View Post
Just now getting set up to tow a 2015 Sonic RS hatchback 6 spd manual on an ACME dolly. At this time, $1k for a practially new dolly was cheaper than $3500 or so for a 4 down system and I could not get that installed in the required time frame.
Does the dolly have brakes? You may need them when towing 3400 lbs behind your Sprinter-based RV. After you get tired loading the car on and off the dolly and you have more time, sell the dolly and install the baseplate and tow bar yourself. It should cost well under $2K.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 09:47 AM   #20
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleE View Post
I flat tow a Ford C-Max hybrid. It fits all your requirements, can be towed on a tow dolly, and be flat towed. Great mileage. And they have a plug in model too
x2. mine is a plug in
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 01:28 AM   #21

Thanks to all who made suggestions. I like to close these loops and so here's the decision: a 2017 Honda CRV FWD. Most importantly, it loads like a dream. Goes right on the dolly and plenty of clearance on either side. If anyhting changes, I'll report back. p.s. It also has great built in places to hook the safety chains.
Upinsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:47 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwood27 View Post
Does the dolly have brakes? You may need them when towing 3400 lbs behind your Sprinter-based RV. After you get tired loading the car on and off the dolly and you have more time, sell the dolly and install the baseplate and tow bar yourself. It should cost well under $2K.
Yes, the dolly has surge brakes. They work well. It's no big deal to load the car and takes under 15 minutes. The read brake elite system to tow 4 down would cost just under $2k with everything. DW insists on pro install at about 10+ hrs labor at ~$100/hr. For now, the dolly is fine.
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad